No announcement yet.

Marshall JCM 800 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright guys one last question. In your opinions, what is the most you'd pay for an absolute mint, all original Silver Jubilee 2550?
    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
      Alright guys one last question. In your opinions, what is the most you'd pay for an absolute mint, all original Silver Jubilee 2550?

I wouldn't, I'd keep my 2205, the jubilee's have got transistors in the signal path thru the preamp, mine only has transistors for channel switching

can open, worms everywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by fuel0707 View Post
        Just to throw a different idea out there, you might consider an early '70's metal-panel 50-watt (model 1987), one of the non-master volume amps. Marshall switched from plexi to metal faceplates in mid '69, so the very early '70's amps are the plexi circuit but without the plexi face (and the plexi price). I can't give you a rundown of the changes between the plexi circuit and the master volume circuit but there are a few and it's not really due to the PCB's that Marshall went to around '73 or so.

If you think that vintage Marshalls are a little too spendy, you might then consider some of the builders who make dead-on Marshall replicas. From my experience, I would recommend RJS Amplification out of Colorado. However, there are a lot of people out there making some great amps and if you shop around, you can pick up a 50-watt plexi head for around $1500.

If you do get a NMV amp, you'll either need an iso booth or more likely, an attenuator to get the amp into higher distortion realm. But I think it's worth it - the older Marshall circuits have a great tone and would likely be a very good addition to your amp arsenal. I used to own an Ampeg VL-1002 half-stack like yours and trust me, the VL-1002 is pretty cool, but it's worlds apart from a plexi.
        Yeah, you can still find the metal front non master vol. Marshalls on Ebay (and Craig's List, etc.) for less than $1500. useally the PCB ones from`73 on. Heck, you can even sometimes pickup a point to point wired (`73 and before) for less than $1500. on Ebay!
        I just recently picked up a`76 Super Lead (100 watt model 1959) and a newer Marshall "Classic" cab loaded with reissue Celestion Greenbacks and a Weber Mass power attenuator off of Craig's List for $1200.!!! for all three pieces!!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          btw.... my bandmates think my Green Stripe Mesa Boogie MKIII is the best sounding "Marshall" they have ever heard. How about that?
          Are they deaf?

Comment

Originally posted by psychodave View Post
            Are they deaf?
            www.JerryRobison.com
            '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_B View Post
              I wouldn't, I'd keep my 2205, the jubilee's have got transistors in the signal path thru the preamp, mine only has transistors for channel switching

can open, worms everywhere?
              Really no different than throwing a pedal in front.
              www.JerryRobison.com
              '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Working...
              X