What's the best micro amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
    Here's an update and a voice of dissent; I mean no offense to those of you who love the Vox, but I made a huge mistake on Thursday. I decided that the Flextone II was more bulk than I cared to lug to another state for Easter weekend (thus this thread), so I left it at home and stopped by Guitar Center on my way out of town. I briefly (very briefly) tried the Vox VT-15 and bought it.

In short, I hated it. Don't get me wrong, the cleans and the effects were actually pretty nice, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the "fizzy" out of any of the overdrive channels. That is, unless I wanted that half-distorted Jimmy Page/April Wine type of sound, which I don't really like. The amp actually sounds somewhat organic and pretty big for its size, which is also more compact than the Flextone, so I'll give credit where it's due.

Anyway, the first thing I did upon getting back into town today was to take it by GC and get a refund. I hated to do that, but I had spent three days wishing that I had brought the Flextone along.

As for the Micro Cube, it is indeed awesome for what it is and I'm keeping mine. Being battery powered isn't an issue because I didn't go camping or anything.

I suppose portability isn't really my main thing, after all, because I seriously regretted the VT-15 deal and missed the Flextone. Most of the micros I've tried have a toy-like overdrive quality. I didn't bother trying the Marshall Kerry King, which they had in stock, because it doesn't have reverb or delay. Those are deal-breakers for me.

So there probably isn't a micro that will satisfy my nit-picky ass, so never mind!

try a peavey vypyr 15.
    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
      try a peavey vypyr 15.
      Does it give that tightly-defined distortion I'm talking about? My sound is basically the Line 6 Modern Hi-Gain sound, based on the Soldano X88R preamp, honed in the fires of Valhalla and programmed by a virgin, etc....

But seriously, that's what I'm looking for and thanks for the tip!

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Well, I'm sure you gave it a thorough workout in that amount of time

But in all seriousness, yes, it is fuzzy, just like my PODxt. That's why I haven't ditched my POD 2.3 yet, because it had non-fuzzy models that sounded good.

I haven't spent the time dialing in either of these very deeply, but I'm pretty sure if I adjust the EQ or back down on the gain, the fuzzy should go away.

Either way, I'm just using mine for a practice amp in an apartment, and none of this will replace my DSL100 1/2 stack or my Laneys. These are practice toys to me, and for the price, they do it nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          But in all seriousness, yes, it is fuzzy, just like my PODxt. That's why I haven't ditched my POD 2.3 yet, because it had non-fuzzy models that sounded good.
          You too, huh? Yeah, I find the POD 2.3 models of the Modern Hi-Gain and Rectified to be very tight and non-fuzzy, but I never liked the xt much for that very reason.

Comment

The Tech 21 Trademark 10 and 30 have great Marshall-esque gain.
            The Pod Micro actually sounds decent, too.
            What about a 2.1 set of computer speakers with a modeler? I love the sound of my modelers (XT Live, ToneLab LE, GNX4) through Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia speakers. I built a box for my speakers, to get them into one unit, but you could just put them in a backpack for better portability. Or, if you wanted to spend a bit more money, you could get a Mackie SRM150 and run your modeler through that - plus, it can serve as a mic-stand mounted powered monitor for band gigs.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
              What about a 2.1 set of computer speakers with a modeler? I love the sound of my modelers (XT Live, ToneLab LE, GNX4) through Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia speakers. I built a box for my speakers, to get them into one unit, but you could just put them in a backpack for better portability. Or, if you wanted to spend a bit more money, you could get a Mackie SRM150 and run your modeler through that - plus, it can serve as a mic-stand mounted powered monitor for band gigs.
              I've thought about this. Next time, I'll either:

1. Lug the Flextone II along

2. Take the POD 2.3 and run it across the Micro Cube.

In either case, I'll take headphones for some late-night playing after the kids are asleep.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                You too, huh? Yeah, I find the POD 2.3 models of the Modern Hi-Gain and Rectified to be very tight and non-fuzzy, but I never liked the xt much for that very reason.
                I'm still very much a lazy beginner at modelling, so I'm not sure if it's me or the equipment. I got the PODxt only a month ago and the Vox VT15 about the same time.

The jury is still out, but so far, the POD 2.3 has something special about it.

I've never had a computer interface with the 2.3, but with the XT I'm having quite a bit of fun downloading other people's tone creations. It's fun, but the 2.3 just seems to sound better. Simpler and more straight forward I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  I'm still very much a lazy beginner at modelling, so I'm not sure if it's me or the equipment. I got the PODxt only a month ago and the Vox VT15 about the same time.

The jury is still out, but so far, the POD 2.3 has something special about it.

I've never had a computer interface with the 2.3, but with the XT I'm having quite a bit of fun downloading other people's tone creations. It's fun, but the 2.3 just seems to sound better. Simpler and more straight forward I guess.
                  I totally agree. When the xt first came out, I couldn't wait to try one because it was supposed to be so "improved," with more accurate models, etc.... My general opinion was that the cleans sounded better but the overdrive sounds were lacking.

The models may be more accurate on the xt, but in my humble opinion, they captured a certain magic with the Modern Hi-Gain sound on the original POD through the 2.3 version. Very tight and defined, but also very big and majestic at the same time. I was totally blown away that they didn't originally include this sound in the Vetta and I wouldn't have bought one at the time for that reason.

One other thing I've learned to watch for.... some of the later products, like the Floor Pod, for example, DO NOT have the original Modern Hi-Gain sound, no matter what they claim. I didn't think it was anywhere close.

Comment

Get a Blackstar HT-5...

I got one this weekend. Have a listen...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Damn, that Blackstar sounds great. Your playing was great, too. Thanks for posting that.

Comment

You know, sometimes the best micro amps are the ones you make yourself, for instance :

Mmmm, yummy, I call it the TreetStack®

1/2 Watt of pure "meaty metal" tone! Yes, I did make the bottom can speaker into an extension cabinet so you can disconnect it and plug into a 4x12, holy crap is it ever louder than it looks.
                        Of course I tried once putting 6 Metal Zones in front of it as suggested by Bill in another thread but that was so intense I was afraid of calling Satan straight from Hell and melting the amp, I mean after all this ain't no crappy Spam stack.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                          Damn, that Blackstar sounds great. Your playing was great, too. Thanks for posting that.
                          Thanks. I really am happy with it...and for $250, I cant feel guilty about abusing it.

Comment

valve amplification bimbo 105

i don't know if someone has already mentioned this amp - but they're a fairly new company in the US. i thought the demo was pretty impressive - altho the guy did tell me he's playing through a DOD or TS-9 pedal for added gain on all the clips except the one with the wah. check it out and tell me what you think...

Comment

Roland micro cube

Comment

Roland Micro Cube gets my vote !! In fact I have 3 of them for when I play Stadiums !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X