Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic amp

Hey guys
    I'm looking for some experience with acoustics. I have a Martin and just bought a Takamine EF341SC. I don't know squat about acoustic amps and looking for some advice on high end amplifiers. Any info would be appreciated.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

I have a couple piezo equipped electrics which I used live for acoustic stuff. I looked at a few acoustic amps and had the chance to try out 3-4 at the same store including Laney, Crate, etc... (if I remember correctly). Anyway, I thought the best sounding acoustic amp was the SWR California Blonde so I went with that one and have no complaints. My brother in law has its smaller sybling, the SWR Strawberry Blonde and it sounds great as well. So my vote is for an SWR
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I'm an SWR fan also. Lots of players also swear by Ultrasound, Roland, and Genz Benz amps.

Comment

I found using the PA work like a champ.
        CURRENT GEAR SET UP
        2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
        1989 JACKSON KING V
        1984 JACKSON RR
        AXE FX II
        MESA BOOGIE 2:90
        DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
        FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
        (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
        (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

the rivera sedona is KILLER. the head is awesome and you can add cabinets to it. the cabs have 1x12 JBL and a tweeter. if you want a combo, rivera makes the sedona light...

i'd get the seona if i had the cash. i use a marshall AS50R. i like it well enough with my ovation or with the synth/piezo feed off my brian moore.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

a PA system is pretty much ideal for an acoustic because those speakers and that equipment is used to replicate/amplify sound, not create it. it shouldn't add "flavor" to it like a guitar amp and speaker combo will.

this might not be a good thing if youre guitar sucks but a martin or takamine shouldn't have that problem.
            good tone isn't something you learn, its something you develop.

Comment

Uberschall!!!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Don't buy an acoustic amp. By a powered FRFR PA cab and a small mixer or preamp - it will ultimately be more versatile and will sound great. BTW, I *highly* recommend the FBT Verve 12ma.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  Uberschall!!!
                  Ah yes, the legendary folk sounds of the Bogner Uberscahall. :ROTF:
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    Uberschall!!!
                    Actually, I've done it before using the clean channel for the piezo then BAM distortion channel on the Uber for laying down the heavy Oh no, I'm actually thinking like Bill these days
                    Actually, if you want to hear a really cool clean sound use the SWR California Blonde and the clean channel of your electric amp (in my case I used a Randall RM100 with Blackface pre-amp module) simultaneously using a Radial Engineering Switchbone. Its a A/B/Y box so you can run two amps together. The combination of clean electric and piezo acoustic sounded just fantastic. I never used it live that way though. That SWR California Blonde is a heavy amp for how big it is!
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                      ...simultaneously using a Radial Engineering Switchbone. Its a A/B/Y box so you can run two amps together. The combination of clean electric and piezo acoustic sounded just fantastic. I never used it live that way though. That SWR California Blonde is a heavy amp for how big it is!
                      Switchbones are awesome. I almost sold mine, and after taking a slew of pictures of it and getting ready to put it on ebay, I said "why am I doing this?".

So damn handy of you own more than one amp.

- E.
                      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Yes, that Switchbone is awesome to have. Not only does it handle two amps but also on a couple occassions the ground lift and phase switches on it eliminated hum in a live situation for me. Plus you have a boost switch I carry it in one of my bags to gigs even when I only use 1 amp just in case the need for it arises.
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                        X