Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume question

Another dumb question.

How important is it to the ...health...for lack of a better term of a tube amplifier is it to match up the amplifier's master volume to a pedal's outpput volume?

I've been trying my best to maintain the volumes as close as possible so that the bypass sounds about the same volume as when the pedal is engaged. That being said, the volume knobs on the amp indicate that it is significantly higher to achieve this. It is pretty loud like this. More than adequate for bedroom level playing.

If I was to crank the pedal volume knob to match the amplifier's, (which I just got done doing and JESUS my ears are bleeding now, but I'm giggling...wait no that's not manly...I'm laughing as I type this) would that hurt the amplifier in any way? Forcing it to output more than it was designed to perhaps? Should I test the amp at full volume, and then make sure that when used with a pedal it never exceeds this?

I know that these are kinda newb sounding questions, but prior to this, I was always just a "plug it in crank it up and play it" type of hack. Now I am more interested in how stuff works as well as preserving the gear that I have.

Oh and...that Biyang Metal End pedal I bought......Cripes that thing sounds sick at volume. Crazy good deal for the price.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

I would figure it would be the same as turning up your speakers so loud in your car the amp over heats and it starts clipping the sound. I personally dont turn any amp i have over 7 or 8, and if they have a mic on them I turn them up loud enough to get te full sound out of the amp and let the P.A take the strain.

Comment

i guess i dont understand your question. i always make sure my pedals dont boost or lower the volume of my playing... i dont see how the actual volume of the amplifier has anything to do with this.

Comment

If I could, I would explain it differently. But I can't.
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Working...
        X