I'm going a little overboard....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going a little overboard....

buying up different pedals according to the missus LOL.

I've gotten two well known pedals from reputable US comapanies. No telling where the pedals were put together, but the companies are US based.

BBE Mindbender
    Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi

I also went out on a limb and decided to check out what our asian friends are producing in the way of effects in what is now a global marketplace.

Biyang Metal End
    Artec Blues Driver
    Real Sound (Mars) Mini Yesman Envelope Filter
    Belcat Delay

There are mixed reviews on each of them over at Harmony Central, but like I said I went out on a limb and decided to see what kind of a bargain these lower priced effects really are.

So far, I've only had the chance to use the Metal End as that is the only one in my possesion at this time. Quite honestly, as of this moment, I friggen LOVE this pedal. It is an AWESOME heavy distortion pedal. Compliments the Big Muff Pi's Fuzz type distortion quite well. I run both of them in my chain. Big Muff 1st, and then the Metal End directly behind it. It is very convenient to be able to switch from a song that requires a 70's type distortion to a song that needs crushing distortion without doing anything more than stepping on two switches.

I am looking forward to receiving the other pedals and seeing what kind of sounds I can make my amp spit out (evil LOL).
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

I just ordered the Biyang AD8 analog delay pedal. I will report back after I try it out.

Comment

That's another one that I've heard mixed reviews on. Or read mixed reviews LOL, I don't talk to the harmony central users literally.

Anyways, comparing reviews vs cost, I think that you'll be happy with what you get. I for one really was surprised at how damn sturdy my Metal End is, and it looks like that all of their effects are built in the same manner.

Good luck and I hope you like it as much as I like my Biyang pedal.
      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I'd looked at the Biyang AD-8 Delay, and the Belcat Delay. I read a ton of reviews, but ended up just using my Ibanez DE-7 for now. The Biyang pedals look really good, and according to some of what I've read about them, they use a lot of high quality German made components.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Just got my Belcat delay and my Mars envelope filter. I've only had minimal time with either one of them. So far, just kind of noodling around with them and they both seem to do what they should thankfully LOL. The Mars pedal is built extremely durably in a steel housing, all moving parts n pieces feel very solid. The Belcat is built in an upper and sides steel housing the bottom is plastic but with a very user friendly battery door.

Can anyone give me an idea as to what order a pedal chain should be in? I just switch them all around every once in a while to see what sounds good, but I don't think that is the best way to go about it lOL.

Right now I run guitar, Big Muff Pi, Metal End distortion pedal, Mini Yesman envelope filter, Mindbender chorus/vibrato, Belcat delay, Behringer chorus pedal (in case I want a chorus while using the Mindbender's vibrato), and finally a graphic EQ.

Believe it or not, noise from all of those pedals in-line like that is not too bad. I will be getting a noise gate or two as my next purchase, but right now it is very workable as is. Oh I would also want to know where in the chain to place two noise gates LOL.

Thanks

Comment

You effects order is probably fine. Always run OD/distortion/fuzz/wah before time based effects, and EQ last. At least that's what I've always heard, and always had the best success with. I run my delay and EQ in the loop, with my gate first.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I was thinking that since I use my Squier strat a lot lately, I should start off the chain with a noise gate (single coils are cool but wicked noisy), and then end the chain with another one to take care of the noise from compounded effect pedals. There isn't all that much noise from the pedals individually but there are a lot of them and it adds up by the time it gets to the amp. Does that make sense?

Comment

Oh and my Artec Blues Overdrive just came in today. It is the now the first thing in the chain. It is in front of the Big Muff Pi pedal. I use it either all on its lonesome or as a nice boost pedal for whatever I'm running behind it. I dig it!!

Comment

Get an ISP Decimator G string gate. It has 2 inputs/outputs so you can have one stage at the front of the effects chain and another stage at the end of the loop to keep everything clean.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                    Get an ISP Decimator G string gate. It has 2 inputs/outputs so you can have one stage at the front of the effects chain and another stage at the end of the loop to keep everything clean.
                    That's a hell of an idea!!!! Thanks!!!!

Comment

+1 on the ISP...they're great units...don't lose as much tone with them.

Regarding noise though, the more OD/Dist boxes you run, the more noise you'll have.

I typically ran Wah-Phase-OD/Dist-Compressor-Chorus-Delay. You can experiment with a Compressor before and after OD/Dist for different tone/effects as well as Phase before and after OD/Dist. I always liked my Phaser before my OD/Dist and Compressor after OD/Dist. Delay in the effects loop is much more appealing as well.

Of course, I just cleaned house on pedals and went all rack, but this is how I used to do it!

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                        +1 on the ISP...they're great units...don't lose as much tone with them.

Regarding noise though, the more OD/Dist boxes you run, the more noise you'll have.

I typically ran Wah-Phase-OD/Dist-Compressor-Chorus-Delay. You can experiment with a Compressor before and after OD/Dist for different tone/effects as well as Phase before and after OD/Dist. I always liked my Phaser before my OD/Dist and Compressor after OD/Dist. Delay in the effects loop is much more appealing as well.

Of course, I just cleaned house on pedals and went all rack, but this is how I used to do it!

I don't have an effects loop on this amp everything is run in front of it. and I am running basically three different Distortion/OD pedals in the chain. Oh I completely forgot my my other two pedals I have, my Cheapo Danelectro phaser and flanger. I should pick up a few more patch cables and run them in too LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                          Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                          That's a hell of an idea!!!! Thanks!!!!
                          You can do the same thing with the Boss NS-2.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just received the Biyang AD 8. I only played with it for about fifteen minutes and so far it gets two thumbs up! No plastic on this thing. Switch is dead silent and it sounds really good. A lot different than the modern digital Delays but thats what i was looking for. I will get some clips up when I get a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by broken_fusion View Post
                              I just received the Biyang AD 8. I only played with it for about fifteen minutes and so far it gets two thumbs up! No plastic on this thing. Switch is dead silent and it sounds really good. A lot different than the modern digital Delays but thats what i was looking for. I will get some clips up when I get a minute.
                              Kickass solid built pedals aren't they? I know I was surprised as fuck when I got mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X