No announcement yet.

New rig pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I am going to have to check one of those out. It would be a much easier rig than my current set up. But I doubt that it would really compare to the real thing.
    CURRENT GEAR SET UP
    2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
    1989 JACKSON KING V
    1984 JACKSON RR
    AXE FX II
    MESA BOOGIE 2:90
    DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
    FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
    (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
    (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
      I'll be over at 6pm Tim, whats for dinner?
      Chicken, Caesar salad, wine. You've got 15 minutes - better hurry.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
        They're fantastic! I've been able to compare them to a number of other cabs and the Port City cabs pretty much kick ass.

You're welcome to come by and check them out - I have a couple 2x12s (one with Greenbacks, one with Golds), a couple of 1x12 OS w/Greenbacks, and a 4x12 with V30s. I have a Bogner Fish rig, Straub Cantus, and Orange Tiny Terror you can check them out with if you want.
        That would be awesome..do it man!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Where is the Fish?

ETA how do you like it?

Comment

I tried my Axe-Fx Ultra through my Mesa 2:90 power amp and turned off the power amp sims in it as well as cab sims when using a traditional 4x12 cab. Then I tried the Axe-Fx through a QSC HPR powered monitor and the sims back on. The Axe-Fx/QSC combo sounded much better to me. For live use, I racked the Axe-Fx with a Furman and ran one mic cable to the QSC monitor on stage and another mic cable to front of house PA. That was it, done! It sounds kickass and it doesn't take up much room on stage. In fact the only complaint about it was from our singer who said it didn't look 80's enough since there was no big stack on stage The cleans as well as the distortions are equally killer on it and the effects are top notch and include just about everything you can think of from a harmonizer to a vocorder! I used a Behringer FCB to switch patches on it and I only tweaked a few levels and effects in it. I haven't done much deep editing with it. Its truly an amazing piece of gear that can be as simple or complex as you want it to be. And since its all in one, there is no noise or hum problems and no level mismatches, etc... Cliff Chase, its inventor, also continously releases FREE software updates that you can download from the net. Kool-Aid? maybe so, but I like the flavor and plan to continue drinking
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Great looking rig Tim

The Ultra is the next piece of gear I have been trying to work my way to for awhile now....someday it will be mine

MOSHON
              DAVE
              "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                I tried my Axe-Fx Ultra through my Mesa 2:90 power amp and turned off the power amp sims in it as well as cab sims when using a traditional 4x12 cab. Then I tried the Axe-Fx through a QSC HPR powered monitor and the sims back on. The Axe-Fx/QSC combo sounded much better to me.
                This isn't surprising. To get the good stuff out of my 2:90 I have to crank it way up.

- Newc

Comment

o.k. then...I'm in

I'm probably a bigger amp geek than even Tim, and this thing KILLS.

Oh yeah, I got hooked up with a Fender Road Worn Strat, so for the moment - I'm the Ultimate Poser: Fake Amps and Fake Worn Guitars

Sold my Bogner Ecstasy Classic to put this together, and yeah - the AxeFx patch showing on the GCP is "Bog Killer" :ROTF:

The Future though is an FRFR setup with a Verve like Tim's...the future could be really soon...
                  Last edited by speed monkey; 04-29-2009, 02:25 AM.

Comment

That is a clean assed setup!
                    www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
                    the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Originally posted by speed monkey View Post
                      o.k. then...I'm in

I'm probably a bigger amp geek than even Tim, and this thing KILLS.

Oh yeah, I got hooked up with a Fender Road Worn Strat, so for the moment - I'm the Ultimate Poser: Fake Amps and Fake Worn Guitars

Sold my Bogner Ecstasy Classic to put this together, and yeah - the AxeFx patch showing on the GCP is "Bog Killer" :ROTF:

The Future though is an FRFR setup with a Verve like Tim's...the future could be really soon...
                      Nice setup there! Although I love my Axe Fx Ultra I have not sold off any amps. I don't look at it as either or. I want them all I must have my Bogners, Marshalls, Mesas, Randalls. Although I will say that you can do really well with just the Axe-Fx setup and nothing else, it really is THAT good
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                        Nice setup there! Although I love my Axe Fx Ultra I have not sold off any amps. I don't look at it as either or. I want them all I must have my Bogners, Marshalls, Mesas, Randalls. Although I will say that you can do really well with just the Axe-Fx setup and nothing else, it really is THAT good
                        Truth be told - this is how things currently are Never ever will sell the Aiken its not an either or - they coexist fine.

[IMG][/IMG]

Agreed, the Axe will get you 95% there with nothing else.

Comment

My AXE based girlie rack. It is worth every penny I use a SS power amp and my regular 4x12 soon Ill try a FRFR but for now I'm still clinging on to my old recto cabs.
                          http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Originally posted by ///MK View Post
                            My AXE based girlie rack. It is worth every penny I use a SS power amp and my regular 4x12 soon Ill try a FRFR but for now I'm still clinging on to my old recto cabs.
                            Nothing girlie about that I've not yet played through the ART SLA-2 but hear they are killer - light weight too (vs the near 40 lb VHT 2/50/2)

I was able rent a QSC HPR122i for a week and actually I'm struglling with it...admitted I really dont have many dedicated FRFR patches, but man my good old tube powered rig just sounds and feels so good. I know Tim had some issues at first, I'm comitted to working this end of it out because its such an easy option.

Comment

Speed Monkey, I ended up going with the FBT Verve 12ma for my FRFR rig. The FBT is a coax speaker and is much better sounding IMO. It's also 20lb lighter.

Here's some tips for you dialing in Axe-FX tones:
                              • When you are dialing in fundamental tones - TURN ALL OF THE EFFECTS OFF! Everything: reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, overdrive, etc. This is one of the most common failures of dealing with modeling gear, folks try to dial in good tone with too much going on. This usually leads to excessive sprinklings of EQ and general dissatisfaction. Think of it this way: you wouldn't dial in your core tones with a traditional guitar rig by first turning on all your stomp boxes and rack effects.
                              • Sparkly cleans are typically easy to get. Punchy cleans are a different sort of thing. With a real amp (like a Twin Reverb) that punch actually comes from cranking the amp so it's on the verge of breakup. The power amp section on the Axe-FX is really helpful here. I suggest messing with the the Damp and Sag parameters to get you there. A compressor up front helps too, but first see how much you can get out of just the amp.
                              • Medium crunch - this can be elusive, it's very easy to get basic good crunch tones but they can be thinner on the top end than you want sometimes. This is where it starts to become much more important to select the best cab model. Don't ignore the smaller cabinet models - they may surprise you.
                              • Heavy/dirty tones - at this point the cab modeling is everything. You simply have to experiment. There are hundreds of downloadable cabinets for the Axe-FX.
                              • Change the way you listen. When you're running FRFR you need to think about your guitar tone when it is mic'd/recorded. A FRFR can deliver the more typical amp "in the room" feeling if you want, but it's going to be much more usful in the end if you think about yourself "in the mix" instead.
                              • If you normally play loud, then crank up the FRFR setup. The opposite is also true. A FRFR still suffers from the Fletcher Munson curve so don't expect crushing metal at whisper volumes - for that you are better off with nearfields.

- Newc

Comment

Yeah the SLA-2 is a great investment and plays very well with the AXE-FX. The power amp is so transparent that you really hear the difference of the different power amp sims even with my dinasuar cabinets. I recently started rehearsing with a Metal act that has a old school large double bass kit. We rehearse in a small room with wood floors and I figured there was no way this thing is going to compete with the other guys JCM800 the monster kit (think early Lars) and bassist 8x10 SVT rig. To everyones suprise the SLA held its own very well in volume and killed in heavy tone. For some reason I am still jonesing for a VHT 2100 but did not like the AXE-FX through my mesa 2:90.

I keep on hearing how others report having difficultys dialing in a tone. I never had a problem. I have a couple of hand fulls of patches that I use for several different acts that give me everything from parliment to pantera (literally in in a funk/R&B band as well as a old school metal act)

Originally posted by speed monkey View Post
                                Nothing girlie about that I've not yet played through the ART SLA-2 but hear they are killer - light weight too (vs the near 40 lb VHT 2/50/2)

I was able rent a QSC HPR122i for a week and actually I'm struglling with it...admitted I really dont have many dedicated FRFR patches, but man my good old tube powered rig just sounds and feels so good. I know Tim had some issues at first, I'm comitted to working this end of it out because its such an easy option.
                                http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Working...
                                X