Picked up a ADA-MP1 and a Mesa 2:90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a ADA-MP1 and a Mesa 2:90

Saw a pretty damn good deal I couldn't resist.. I've been wanting to get a MP1 ever since I heard Becker/Friedman/Gilbert used them, and I've heard a few things about the 2:90, perhaps you guys could fill me in with how you like yours. Anyways, I bought them both for $750. My only concern is if the MP1 wont have enough gain, if not I'll save for a TriAxis....

Here are some pictures of the gear, I didn't take these, but it's from the seller.

Last edited by Jacksons Shred; 05-04-2009, 05:28 AM.
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Nice score...I got an MP1 not too long ago as well...dirt cheap in great condition considering it's 20 years old.

I haven't cranked the gain on mine, but there is a lot of gain on tap in that little thing.

Comment

$750 for both of those is a great deal! If you don't think the MP1 has enough gain, you can always send it off to get modded and more gain can be added. Try it first and see how you like it.
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Yeah. I'm excited about getting them. It's going to be interesting, that's to say the least.

Anyone else with experience with either of these pieces of equipment?
        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

I use the same setup. I've had numerous preamps over the years but always end up going back to the ADA. The 2:90 adds a "largeness" to the sound that you won't get with a solid state power amp. I would recommend a BBE Sonic Maximizer as well...it seems to go with the ADA like beer and peanuts.

As for the gain thing, it should have everything that you need (what kind of music do you play?). If you need any more, God help you

Comment

Gain o plenty no issues there, mp-1's sing with the right tubes.
            You should never need to max the gain out.
            The type of distortion it produces would be more the question.
            You can eq it or mod it to suite your taste.
            rival the triaxis and still be a lot cheaper in most cases.

Comment

The MP-1 has a good amount of gain on tap. The only thing is that it is voiced more like a hot rodded Marshall. So if you're looking for Rectifier / modern sounds it may not be right for you.

Comment

I stopped @ my local GC late last night and tried a Peavey 3120.

Fuck my ass..I'm going back to check that amp out again!!!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky View Post
                  The MP-1 has a good amount of gain on tap. The only thing is that it is voiced more like a hot rodded Marshall. So if you're looking for Rectifier / modern sounds it may not be right for you.

That's what I figured, but I really like the hot rodded marshall sound, so maybe this will work out.

Funny thing though, I bought the stuff (still waiting to receive it), and I don't know shit about how to set anything up.. I know I still need to buy more stuff though. :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                    I use the same setup. I've had numerous preamps over the years but always end up going back to the ADA. The 2:90 adds a "largeness" to the sound that you won't get with a solid state power amp. I would recommend a BBE Sonic Maximizer as well...it seems to go with the ADA like beer and peanuts.

As for the gain thing, it should have everything that you need (what kind of music do you play?). If you need any more, God help you
                    +1 Same here, except I got a 2:100. I use it with the BBE as well.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
                      That's what I figured, but I really like the hot rodded marshall sound, so maybe this will work out.

Funny thing though, I bought the stuff (still waiting to receive it), and I don't know shit about how to set anything up.. I know I still need to buy more stuff though. :ROTF:

if you later decide you want a more recto tone go for mod 3.666 i got a mod 3 and will be doing the eq section to update it to the 3.666

check em out....
                      http://www.adadepot.com/adagear/deta...-MP-1/mods.htm

Comment

I play thrash metal (similar to Testament rhtym tones) and the ADA does deliever for me. I don't remember what tubes my dad threw in there but I remember them being high gain tubes. The only draw back is I can never get a fucking good clean tone out of that bitch. And I always see people saying that they get great clean tones out of it. Anyway the ADA is a winner in my book. Goes well with my Laney Solidstate Linebacker Pro.
                        Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

I loved my MP-1s to death (all mod'd to some varying degrees) until I bought an Axe-FX. Once I could duplicate their sound and feel without tubes, I put them out to pasture. The funny thing is because there isn't an MP-1 preamp model in the Axe-FX, I ended up using a Triaxis model. I didn't directly chose that preamp model but rather I tried presets, found that one sounded the closest and tweaked it from there.

Comment

I used an MP-1 for a long time. It's a great preamp, and should have way more than enough gain for you. If you are doing super scooped death metal, you might need an outboard eq to carve up the sound, but the gain will be plenty.

I switched to an MP-2 after the MP-1.... big mistake, don't ever do that
                            ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Originally posted by DK2M92 View Post
                              I play thrash metal (similar to Testament rhtym tones) and the ADA does deliever for me. I don't remember what tubes my dad threw in there but I remember them being high gain tubes. The only draw back is I can never get a fucking good clean tone out of that bitch. And I always see people saying that they get great clean tones out of it. Anyway the ADA is a winner in my book. Goes well with my Laney Solidstate Linebacker Pro.
                              Have you tried using the solid state voicing for your clean tone? That seems to be the voicing that really works well for me to get a nice sparkly clean tone out of the Mp1.
                              Don

Comment

Working...
                              X