Picked up a ADA-MP1 and a Mesa 2:90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
    Yeah. I'm excited about getting them. It's going to be interesting, that's to say the least.

Anyone else with experience with either of these pieces of equipment?
    yep, had one in the early - mid 90's and it is the Tesla sound! Great tones come out of that box!

Comment

I have one with the 3TM mod and it's the cat's ass. I run it in a rack with a Triaxis/2:90. I've owned most of the "holy grail" boutique preamps and for what I like, this is the set-up for me.
      Good deals with:
      Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

This week I've been working on restoring an MP-1 I have had in the closet for about 10 years or so, picked it up used for $100 when MARS used to be around. I replaced the worn out input jack with a standard open-frame jack, put in new tubes, and have a battery holder and battery coming to replace the solder-in unit. I need to replace the two pots on the back as well, they are pretty noisy if you try and make a lot of adjustments.

I like using the BBE with mine as well, and the 362nr has a noise reduction circuit that helps tame the hiss of the ADA a bit. I like to run my OD1 and OD2 around 4.4-5.0, and boost the front end with a Maxon OD-808. I need to pick up an actual power amp for it, right now I'm just running it in to the front end of a Krank Chadwick on the clean channel. I don't play it a whole lot, so I'm in no rush.

You can find all kinds of info, parts, schematics, manuals, mod instructions, etc. at http://www.adadepot.com/ Pretty handy stuff, there.

Doh! I didn't notice someone linked to one of the mods already.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogbone View Post
          Have you tried using the solid state voicing for your clean tone? That seems to be the voicing that really works well for me to get a nice sparkly clean tone out of the Mp1.
          I just usally flip to my neck pickup (ducan Jazz) and back down the tone and volume knob and that usally does the job. But I should try the voicing.
          Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
            I loved my MP-1s to death (all mod'd to some varying degrees) until I bought an Axe-FX. Once I could duplicate their sound and feel without tubes, I put them out to pasture. The funny thing is because there isn't an MP-1 preamp model in the Axe-FX, I ended up using a Triaxis model. I didn't directly chose that preamp model but rather I tried presets, found that one sounded the closest and tweaked it from there.
            well i'm glad you got the axe-fx. especially since i will soon be the new owner of that ultra+ i'll never be able to afford an axe-fx

Comment

I've always loved the tone of even the stock MP-1
              with the 2:90 the thing kicks a shit ton of ass! I'f I still had a rack setup I'd get one, and may get another some day soon so as to make a more simplified rack setup.

I think you'll love this rig!

congrats and cheers!

C

Comment

I used an MP-1 for years. I also used a Trixis - 2:90 rig for along time. The MP-1 has great tone, but I personally found it really needs a noise gate, so I got away from it. I still have one kicking around somewhere and may go back and give it a try, but I have simplifed my sound (I just use a head now for the most part with a couple of pedals in the loop).

The 2:90 is awsome and overkill for most situations (run it stereo through a Marshall 1960 Lead cab for wall of sound while still being somewhat portable). One thing about them is used they can be expensive to fix and there are a few hundred $$$ worth of tubes in there if one of your buddies helping move it, drops it.

All and all I think that you have a killer combination at a great price (if it does crap out on you).
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                X