No announcement yet.

2x12 Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the Genz Benz.It sounds great with everything I use it with...
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Chang View Post
      A related question:

Does different impedance values affect tone?

I ask since several of the options listed so far want the user to decide on the ohm value at the time of ordering.

Thanks

- Leo.
      I don't know if it has a major affect on tone. What's the impedance of your heads? Get a cab to match. Or if the heads have impedance switches, get the a cab to suit the greater impedance, so if you decide in the future to run two cabs, you can switch to the lower setting.

For example, my Marshall head can switch between 16 & 8 ohms. So I can run one cab with the head on 16 ohms or two cabs with the head on 8 ohms.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Almost all of my heads can do 16 ohms, so I am gonna with that for whichever cab I end up ordering.

Thanks for all the great replies so far

Comment

Originally posted by jmsaxon69 View Post
          Did you try the Egnater 2x12? I was thinking about getting a Rebel 20 and that cab, I like the idea of being able to make it sealed or open back.
          Unfortunately, local stores only have the usual Marshall / Mesa etc, and a few Soldanos. (and a Bogner dealer very far from me)

No local Egnater dealers that I know of. (which is why I ordered my Rebel 20 online)

That cab does look good with the head in pictures through... unique color scheme too.

- Leo.

Comment

A related question:

Does different impedance values affect tone?

I ask since several of the options listed so far want the user to decide on the ohm value at the time of ordering.

Thanks

- Leo.
            wow .. here I go at full speed to probably say nothing.

I've never heard of anyone describing a change in tone with impedance, but I've noticed it myself, even if it's only with my gear.
            I have 2 marshall JCM800s, a 50W (2205) and a 100W (4211), and a bunch of cabs, 2 at 16ohm and 2 at 8ohm, so there's a gazillion different combinations I've tried.
            To my ears, the sound is better the higher the impedance I'm running on the amp output. It's punchier, clearer, and somehow louder for the same volume setting. Also, it's much more pronounced with my 50W than the 100W. So that's the way I set things up, it's what works for me.
            I've thought about this long and hard, and all I can come up with is that the extra turns on the output transformer for the 16ohm setting ( compared to fewer turns on the 8ohm and 4ohm outputs ) is smoothing out the top end, giving me a more bottom/mid pronounced sound. On the 4ohm setting, it's brighter, heading towards brittle sometimes.
            Think of rolling back the presence control a turn and a half, and that's the sort of difference it makes.
            maybe my amp's goosed, or there's some other reason or this, or maybe I'm senile and just inventing it all!

If it's the only cab you're gonna use, then my preference would be for an open back 2x12 with a 16ohm impedance, to get the wider spread of sound, and greater flexibility about what you could hook it up with another time. There's been times I've had a 2x12 tipped over at the front of the stage like a wedge monitor, that can give a useful area of 'I'm only gonna hear my guitar when I stand here' if you're playing really loud, plus it doesn't interfere much with the front of house mix.

what a pile of waffle, I hope at last some of it was useful!
            Last edited by Tim_B; 05-06-2009, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Tim_B:

That's exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get re: impedances, so thanks for that Definitely going for 16 ohm then.

- Leo.

Comment

Tim_B:

That's exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get re: impedances, so thanks for that Definitely going for 16 ohm then.

- Leo.
                blimey, so it WAS useful then .. great !!!

Comment

I have a pair of Carvin VL212 vertical slant 212 cabs that I like a lot. They are wired with a switch to run at either 16 ohms or 4 ohms with 2 8-ohm speakers and sound as good as a 412, just lighter, smaller and less level.

They haven't been made in awhile but they're out there, and are a sealed-back enclosure that's the same depth as a typical slant 412, so the bass response is the same.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

For playing as loud as I do and staying TIGHT..I never heard a 2 X 12 I liked. Especially open back cabs..hate 'em. Rich mentioned problems in c/w with bass response, but he likes his Carvins..they're great bang for the buck.

Get a quality closed back cab, possibly tune ported IMO. The guys offered great suggestions here, and you already seem to have a grip on it with your choices.

Another prob I've always had with combos or anything less than a half stack is.. I always had to put it on something to be ear level. Otherwise the air is blowing at my shins, and knees.
                    Last edited by horns666; 05-06-2009, 08:11 AM.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

horns666:

Yeah, I am only going with 2x12s out of necessity. We usually rehearse / jam at my bassist's house, and I don't want to be transporting 4x12s on a regular basis.

I already have a UberKab 4x12 (waiting for my new version Uberschall head to arrive in several months) ... so I am well equipped to annoy the neighbours while playing at home So it's just the rehearsal scenario that I am concerned with right now.

- Leo.

Comment

One other option I might suggest is this Mojotone Bluesbreaker-style: http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/ite...972&id=4000135

The tone is really nice - not shrill and has a warm, balanced tone to it. Mojotone can wire it up how you want and with your choice of speakers. I have one with two UK-built Greenbacks wired for 16-ohm operation and run it with a 50-watt amp. It really sounds great and I think it's pretty well priced.
                        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Somewhere, in the depths of my warehouse, I have 4 ADA Split-Stack 2 x 12s. These were great, I couldn't tell the difference between them and 2 4x12s behind me. The difference when packing my shit into a car was massive though!
                          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

horns666:

Yeah, I am only going with 2x12s out of necessity. We usually rehearse / jam at my bassist's house, and I don't want to be transporting 4x12s on a regular basis.

I already have a UberKab 4x12 (waiting for my new version Uberschall head to arrive in several months) ... so I am well equipped to annoy the neighbours while playing at home So it's just the rehearsal scenario that I am concerned with right now.

- Leo.
                            I've owned my early series Uber since 2002. You have a new one on the way and a Uberkab!?

Dude, that's a no brainer..Bogner.
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I had a THD 2x12 that blew my Marshall 1936 2x12 out of the water!!!!

Comment

Cab Search update

Based on all the research I have done on the usual gear sites (HC / The Gear Page / Premier Guitar online / JCF) I have ordered a Mills Acoustic 2x12

Avatar and Genz Benz kept coming up during my research. Decided not to go for them because

1) Avatar will soon be able to ship direct to Canada, so I'll just wait for that to happen instead of going through an intermediary importer (Steamco). Also, it seems to be one of the best choices for a "traditional" cab that is built right... but I want something that is built right AND takes advantage of modern engineering / innovations. Still would like to have a Avatar cab sometime in the future, just not right now.

2) Genz Benz G-Flex is almost in the price bracket of a Mills... both take advantage of modern engineering / innovations... but the Mills seems to have better reviews overall, and supposedly incredible customer service (which I did experience during the ordering process), so went with Mills.

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice. JCF =

- Leo.

Comment

Working...
                                X