Best "metal" amp head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best "metal" amp head

Looking for a new rig, something simple and HI gain, $1200 is about my price range, new or used

have a basson 2x12 cab

play Lead, thrash/speed, in standard or 1/2 steps down tuning, no effects, directly into amp, jackson guitars, passive dimarzio and duncan pups, (evolutions or tb-4s)

been thinking

Engl Fireball
    Soldano Avenger
    Peavey 6505+ (w/ gain, clarity, bias mod)
    Randall MTS rm50 (xtc, blackface modules)
    Mesa Single Rec

suggestions, opinions?
    Last edited by gmbob22; 05-16-2009, 03:57 PM.

Well I checked out a Peavey 3120 (cheap) recently and was pleasantly surprised..which doesn't happen often. Really, check into those, and don't forget the adjustments on the back panel.

I' go with the 5150 (with mod) even though they can easily sound flubby when people don't know how to use 'em.

But I'm spoiled, I've owned an Uberschall /Marshall stacks.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ive seen heard about the 3120, there just TOO new, no feedback on them yet, def. check em out though

Comment

Originally posted by gmbob22 View Post
        Ive seen heard about the 3120, there just TOO new, no feedback on them yet, def. check em out though
        A freind of mine is in 4 metal bands (one with Curran Murphy) and gigged with it without issue..so that's a good sign.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Is that the one that's basically just the new version of a XXX?
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
            Is that the one that's basically just the new version of a XXX?
            I think so..it has three channels..but it sounds wayyyy better..and CHEAP!

Comment

I know nothing about this new Peavey but he did list the Randall MTS. I have an RM100 and its within the price range he wanted to stay in. The MTS series sound good!
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                I know nothing about this new Peavey but he did list the Randall MTS. I have an RM100 and its within the price range he wanted to stay in. The MTS series sound good!
                +1
                Used MTS series, and get some extra modules!!!
                "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

all the amps you mentioned are great, only advise id give is if you go the mesa route, pay the xtra couple of hundred and at LEAST get the dual rec, id say even try the triple. that said i love my roadster to death.

Comment

I would suggest the following... I would also pick up a 4 x 12 cab too. Makes a huge difference for bottom end.

Single, Dual or Triple Recto
                    Mesa Mark III (you might even be able to score a Mark IV for that price)

A noice choice would be a 5150 2 x 12 combo and you could plug your 2 x 12 into it as an extension cab. That would sound huge.

Comment

If it's purely metal and thrash, a Triple Rectifier is hard to beat. Back when I was playing just metal and using mostly Jackson's-I cycled through a Peavey XXX, 5150, a Marshall TSL 100 (all did well) but once I heard a Triple Recitier at practice from the other guitar player, it was all over. Not the most versatile amp but for heavy downtuned guitars, it crushed everything else. You should be able to score one of those for $1200...

Comment

Originally posted by RockCity View Post
                        If it's purely metal and thrash, a Triple Rectifier is hard to beat. Back when I was playing just metal and using mostly Jackson's-I cycled through a Peavey XXX, 5150, a Marshall TSL 100 (all did well) but once I heard a Triple Recitier at practice from the other guitar player, it was all over. Not the most versatile amp but for heavy downtuned guitars, it crushed everything else. You should be able to score one of those for $1200...

I can't argue or add to the above. 100% correct on all points. The last Triple that I heard live was CRUSHING.

Comment

I also have a Dual Rec and in fact when I bought it new back in 2001, I A/B'd it in the store against a Triple Rec. There really wasn't a difference in tone even with the amps cranked. A friend of mine worked there at the time so did this just after store closing hours so we could REALLY crank the amps. I ended up buying the Dual Rec since it was a bit less money for the same tone.
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Carvin V3 ...

Comment

Hmm. For early-mid 80s style tones, you will not beat a Splawn Quickrod IMHO.

For newer metal, I would say rectofier. Double or Triple is awsome. Triaxis is very cool too, but pricy when you get done with the power amp etc.
                              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                              X