Best "metal" amp head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atilla View Post
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Carvin V3 ...
    I've got a V3. It kicks ass!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You can "buy" any amp, but you marry an Uberschall...

Splawns are cool..

The Carvin V3 clips I've heard sound impressive.

But for the $$$, I would investigate the Peavey 3120!!!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

played a friends engl thunderer head its SICK!, think im getting a fireball
        Last edited by gmbob22; 05-18-2009, 02:47 AM.

Comment

3120 is an XXX with el34's stock. Good quality, less trucker mudflap chicks.

fuck I want a jvm!

Comment

Wait a minute, I'm confused. Wasn't the XXX solid-state? Or was that the XXL?
            Scott

Comment

Nah, the XXX is all tube, comes stock with 6L6's. I think the XXL is solid state though...

Comment

I can get a great thrash tone with a Mesa Mark II, III, or IV. But I do like the JMP-1 slaved through the Mark IV. I use to have a Triple Recto, but it was a little to bass heavy and modern sounding for my taste.

Comment

I still dig 5150s for an awesome metal amp, and the prices for used ones are hard to beat. Duel or triple rectos can sound great, but aren't really the simplest amps to dial in for some people. I like mesas in general, although the duel rectifier I used to gig with had all sorts of issues. It was inconsistant sounding from night to night... It would sound great at one show, and then suck ass at the next... I had to constantly twiddle knobs to get a good sound. I bought it new, but it was also plagued with technical issues, and was in for repair pretty often. I eventually sold it because I was tired of all the problems.

I'm not trying to beat up on mesas, but that one didn't win me over.

Comment

Originally posted by skintaster View Post
                    I still dig 5150s for an awesome metal amp, and the prices for used ones are hard to beat. Duel or triple rectos can sound great, but aren't really the simplest amps to dial in for some people. I like mesas in general, although the duel rectifier I used to gig with had all sorts of issues. It was inconsistant sounding from night to night... It would sound great at one show, and then suck ass at the next... I had to constantly twiddle knobs to get a good sound. I bought it new, but it was also plagued with technical issues, and was in for repair pretty often. I eventually sold it because I was tired of all the problems.

I'm not trying to beat up on mesas, but that one didn't win me over.
                    I agree on the Mesas as far as tweeking the sound- It took me at least a month to figure out how the EQ's interact and lock in a killer sound. I had to mark the knobs once that happened or I would find myself fiddling with them the whole set. Never had any technical issues though but it sounded better in the mix for metal than anything else I've tried, especially with my SLATQH...I played a 5150 for awhile, good amp, we AB'd it at practice with a Triple and that's when I got rid of it and got the Mesa.

Comment

Buy a MTS RM100 with el34 and Kt88's get a couple of Pete Dave or Rob modded modules and you will own this type of tone.
                      http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

I'm into my Marshall 2205 for classic metal, even heavier with a boost pedal...kinda shrieks wails real pretty. For more modern stuff, I usually use my JPM-1 with VHT 2502 (also sounds great with classic metal). As much as I love stompin on stompboxes, I had to go rackmount for simplicity with effects. The G-force works well, but doesn't get that jet engine flange/phase. Great verbs and delays and such, nice chorus and other such crud.
                        My hair is on fire!!!!!My hair is on fire!!!!!!
                        Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2/50/2, Marshall 1960A & B cabs, '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgang, '08 Charvel San Dimas x 3.

Comment

Crap...sorry bout the unneccessaries.
                          My hair is on fire!!!!!My hair is on fire!!!!!!
                          Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2/50/2, Marshall 1960A & B cabs, '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgang, '08 Charvel San Dimas x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            I've got a V3. It kicks ass!
                            I have one too and it also kicks ass!!

Comment

Grabbed a Marshall JCM 800 Kerry King head a while back and it is killer. I snagged mine for under $1200 used but they don't come up too often. Great tones right out of the box, with a built in gate when the 'Beast' mode is engaged. If you can get past the cheesy tribal graphics on the grill cloth give it a try!

Comment

Originally posted by jk2171 View Post
                                Grabbed a Marshall JCM 800 Kerry King head a while back and it is killer. I snagged mine for under $1200 used but they don't come up too often. Great tones right out of the box, with a built in gate when the 'Beast' mode is engaged. If you can get past the cheesy tribal graphics on the grill cloth give it a try!
                                Yeah... I actually like Kerry's signature stuff... I own his MXR eq pedal, and I like his amp alright... But damn if I can get over that awful tribal design they put on all his gear! It's just completely stupid looking to me, and a total deal breaker.

Comment

Working...
                                X