Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might be going all rack mount effect wise, but how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be going all rack mount effect wise, but how?

As I plan to build a rack around a Rocktron Piranha preamp, i might be convinient to get red of my pedal board as well, now consisting of a wah, TS9, DD3, tuner and footswitch.

What I would like to be able to do is to just plug the guitar straight in to the rack and then just use a Midi pedal board (including an expression pedal for the wah) for all preset and effect switching. This to get rid of all annoying cables all over the place. Obviously I would need something that could be connected using the 4 cable metod as the wah would have to be in front of the preamp. A built in tuner would be nice as well so i won't have to buy a separate one. The needed effects would be delay and wah mostly, but i would like to have some reverb and chorus avaible as well, mostly for cleans.

The important thing here is, I MUST be able to hide ALL cables (except the single one from the guitar of course, and the midi cable from rack to switch) inside the rack, if I can't get red of the wah in front of the rack for example, then i would still extra cables, power supply and such, and then I may just keep my pedal board as it is now, as long as i need a pedal board it doesn't matter that much what's in it as all the pedals is connected to each other and the power supply all the time anyway.

Is this doable without spending ridiculus amounts of money?

Have you looked at the Fractal Axe Fx?

Seems like it can do everything you mentioned.

- Leo.

Comment

For ridiculous amounts of money $2500 for the AFx.

Doesn't the Piranha have all that built in?

Look into the Johnson foot controller - lotta folks like it.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Seems like I will have to stick with my pedal board then...

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

Doesn't the Piranha have all that built in?

Look into the Johnson foot controller - lotta folks like it.
          The Piranha is NOT an effects unit, just preamp and noise gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            That's incorrect. The Axe FX Standard is $1500 and the Ultra version is $2000. For what the Axe FX does and for how well it does it, it's priced fairly. If you use an Axe FX you don't need any other preamps or processors. It does it all.

Comment

Get a decent midi foot controller like a Control One. You can even get a single cable for it that contains the power and the midi cable. This way.. you will only have 1 cable going back to your rig. The only other wire will be the one from your guitar to the wah to the amp. Thats a clean rig.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                Get a decent midi foot controller like a Control One. You can even get a single cable for it that contains the power and the midi cable. This way.. you will only have 1 cable going back to your rig. The only other wire will be the one from your guitar to the wah to the amp. Thats a clean rig.
                Yes, that sounds like a good idea. I suppose it would work fine with something like a G-major? Seems imposible to get rid of the wah pedal without buying something really expensive.

Comment

One way to make your setup even cleaner is to use a pedalsnake. http://www.pedalsnake.com/

Depending on how much you have out front the Pedalsnake can make life easy and give you a clean setup.
                  http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

The Axe Fx is the ultimate solution however if you want to use what you have in the fashion you describe I would look into the Ground Control Pro and a GCX Switcher. You can mount the pedals in a rack drawer along with the Switcher and just have the Ground Control Pro in front of you on the floor. You can switch in/out any combinations of pedals and effects you want and when not in use, the pedal is bypassed out of your signal chain. You can even setup the Ground Control Pro to switch channels on your amp simultaneously with effects if you want. I'd look for a used items on E-Bay to drop the cost.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by rocksoldier View Post
                      Yes, that sounds like a good idea. I suppose it would work fine with something like a G-major? Seems imposible to get rid of the wah pedal without buying something really expensive.
                      The G Major would be great for everything but the Wah... The Wah that is built in works... But it's not quite up to par with what you probably used to...
                      I use the Rocktron Midimate controller (under 200 bucks). I'm pretty sure the Piranha has Phantom power, so you would only have the midi cable (7 Pin) going to the Midi mate. You can add the Rocktron Hex Volume/expression pedal (80 bucks) into the Midimate with one cable (Stereo 1/4) or for that matter any other expression pedal.

I really like the above setup... Simple and clean
                      Don

Comment

Originally posted by Dogbone View Post
                        The G Major would be great for everything but the Wah... The Wah that is built in works... But it's not quite up to par with what you probably used to...
                        I use the Rocktron Midimate controller (under 200 bucks). I'm pretty sure the Piranha has Phantom power, so you would only have the midi cable (7 Pin) going to the Midi mate. You can add the Rocktron Hex Volume/expression pedal (80 bucks) into the Midimate with one cable (Stereo 1/4) or for that matter any other expression pedal.

I really like the above setup... Simple and clean
                        I would love to here a clip of the built in "Wah" I just need a wah that works for some stuff, I'm not to found of using wah:s most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
                          One way to make your setup even cleaner is to use a pedalsnake. http://www.pedalsnake.com/

Depending on how much you have out front the Pedalsnake can make life easy and give you a clean setup.
                          Wow, seems great.

Comment

You could also look into the Dunlop rackmountable wah (DCR-2 or something) as well if you wanted to keep everything in your rack. For fx, a Rocktron Intellifex or TC G-Major with a Midimate or something should cover all your needs. There are a few different routes you could go, it is just a matter of how much your budget allows.
                            Good deals with:
                            Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

I'm pretty set on the G-major, can't imagine that I would need anything more powerful than that.

Is there any affordable rack wah:s?

Comment

Working...
                              X