What's all the hype about Axe Fx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
    What are you going to run yours through Matt_B?
    Unless I need to gig, I'm just running through my PC (w/ a pair of M-Audio powered monitors) for recording/practicing or through a pair or Edirol powered monitors for the "playing TV" rig. I've been running direct-only for a few years now (modified MP-1s and ADA Ampulators) so it's not a switch for me as far as amplification goes.

ETA - I'm going to get an Ultra and if it works out, I'm going to get a second one so I have one upstairs and downstairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
      Unless I need to gig, I'm just running through my PC (w/ a pair of M-Audio powered monitors) for recording/practicing or through a pair or Edirol powered monitors for the "playing TV" rig. I've been running direct-only for a few years now (modified MP-1s and ADA Ampulators) so it's not a switch for me as far as amplification goes.

ETA - I'm going to get an Ultra and if it works out, I'm going to get a second one so I have one upstairs and downstairs.
      I think your gonna like it bro

I have been running mine strait into my JBL LSR's and been having such a great time, I haven't even felt the need to run it into my cabs yet, I'm sure I'll get around to it sometime

Matt,,,I've been a hardcore Digitech rack supporter for years(TSR24, 2101/LE, multiple 2120's) You would not be disappointed ,,this sounds sooooo much better in every way...like the next step in evolution

MOSHON
      DAVE
      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
        Because they have a road crew, larger budget than the average layman, and they don't need the versatility of the AxeFx. If a person is a pro making big bucks and they only need a handful of main sounds and regularly play in arenas, then yeah, the big tube amps are fine.

As far as pros using the AxeFx........Dweezil Zappa is a huge name and he replaced a truckload of gear with a couple Ultras. Last I heard that was only for his overseas shows where transport of the monster rig was a problem, but I wonder if he'll go Axe all the way eventually.

Other notables:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/artist.html
        I know what you are saying but IMHO.. nothing will ever replace straight up Marshall, Mesa, Bogner etc.... live. I am a huge fan of modeling and software driven tone. I just don't see it live. I think the hype for the Axe FX is mainly studio and home players. Personally.. I thought that many pro's were gonna jump on the Vetta 2 bandwagon or the Boss GT-10 but that never happened. Nothing will ever replace mic'd up stacks of tube amps live. Axe FX is enjoying the same exposure and hype as Line 6 did when they came out with the Vetta.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          to play devils advocate here you have to ask yourself... if this thing is so good, how come the pro's playing live don't use it? Heck.. for that matter, how come the pro's playing live most of the time use traditional tube amps? I have been to tons of arena shows over the last 3 years and I haven't seen a single band playing a modeler or a software driven modeler or anything like it.
          Dweezil Zappa does. Here's a clip of him plugged into a fractal, then the fractal out to the PA...

ZPZ (Zappa Plays Zappa) performance of "Eruption," Feb. 26, 2009, Dodge Theater, Phoenix, AZDweezil Zappa performing "Eruption" by Eddie Van Halen live on st...

I have a fractal standard, I love it. Also have an SLO, a Bogner XTC, '92 Mesa rackmount recto, about 20 other tube amps... and the fractal. I don't see it as an either or, I enjoy them all equally and actually use the fractal more than the tube amps. The fractal emulates the SLO, Bogner and Mesa well enough that I could sell the 'real' amps if I wanted and I wouldn't miss them much.

Newc - the fx are eventide quality. They smoke and burn anything digitech has ever put out. The A/D converters are much better than anyone elses, and he also uses expensive op amps instead of whatever Line 6 or Digitech could grab in bulk for pennies a pound.

Pete, delurking for a few

Comment

to play devils advocate here you have to ask yourself... if this thing is so good, how come the pro's playing live don't use it? Heck.. for that matter, how come the pro's playing live most of the time use traditional tube amps? I have been to tons of arena shows over the last 3 years and I haven't seen a single band playing a modeler or a software driven modeler or anything like it.
            Dweezil Zappa, Pete Thorn, Greg Howe, Adrian Belew, Jeff Loomis, Ty Tabor are all using the Axe-FX.

The product is still relatively new and unknown - they only started even advertising in the guitar mags in the last couple months.

Relative to other modelers, the Axe-FX kicks the shit out of a POD or Boss GT system - no contest.

The Axe-FX is my rig now - I run it into an FBT Verve 12ma FRFR active speaker (PA style). It kicks ass. I send a direct feed to FOH and life is good and simple.

To give you an idea of what I think of it, the rig sitting sadly unused next to it consists of:
            • Bogner Fish preamp
            • Boogie 2:90 power amp
            • Eventide Eclipse
            • Eventide Timefactor
            • Klon
            • Fuchs Plus Overdrive
            • MXR EVH Phaser
            • Voodoo Lab Analog chorus
            • Port City V30 loaded 4x12 or Gold loaded 2x12
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I know what you are saying but IMHO.. nothing will ever replace straight up Marshall, Mesa, Bogner etc.... live. I am a huge fan of modeling and software driven tone. I just don't see it live. I think the hype for the Axe FX is mainly studio and home players. Personally.. I thought that many pro's were gonna jump on the Vetta 2 bandwagon or the Boss GT-10 but that never happened. Nothing will ever replace mic'd up stacks of tube amps live. Axe FX is enjoying the same exposure and hype as Line 6 did when they came out with the Vetta.
              Quite frankly the GT-10 sounds like canned ass direct. The speaker modeling in the Boss products blow donkey balls. The GT-10 sounds very good through guitar cabs.

The Axe-FX absolutely KILLS at cabinet modeling - you can literally sample your favorite cabinet and download the impulse response into the Axe-FX. There are many hundreds of impulse responses available around the net. Some clever folks have taken impulse responses of acoustic guitars and used those as a "cab" for piezo acoustic style settings to give them "body" - I've been meaning to try this with my Parker.

And the Vetta is not in the same league as the Axe-FX either. I've owned two Vetta's - it's not even close.

- Newc

Comment

Dweezil Zappa is using it, and posts regularly on the Axe Fx forum.

There was one live video of him playing Eruption recently... he was using the Axe Fx Ultra on that show.

Of course, he is just one man... but I think it's just a matter of the Axe Fx being relatively very new. Sooner or later we'll see more big name pro guys using it.

I mean, now we are finally seeing more big name pros playing conventional modelers (Boss GT series or Line6), and they've been around a long time... so I think a few more years, it'll be a lot more popular.

Just my opinion

- Leo.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  This right here is all that interests me. I've been running dual signals for 20 years - 2 sets of pedals (homemade Y-box splitting to two separate distortion>modulation>amp chains), then dual racks when I moved up.

Even now I'm still using 2 preamps - ADA MP-1 and Line6 AM-4 - panned at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock in the mixer.

However, unless the effects do something truly awesome compared to my Digitech TSR-12 (and I'm not talking about subjective sound-quality differences which will be buried in the full mix), it's not worth the money to me. If they do a preamp-only version (amps, EQ, etc - everything but the modulation and time-based effects) for under $700, I might look into it.
                  Rumor has it that Fractal has a series of spin-off products planned... so eventually they might have something like what you want.

They are definitely in the process of developing a software only plug-in for DAWs, that much has been confirmed.

I think I also read on the Axe Fx Forum that there might be a floor based version of the Axe Fx in a few years. Not sure about this though.

- Leo.
                  Last edited by Leo Chang; 06-03-2009, 03:24 AM.

Comment

What's goin' on..??

Uberschall...??

My pud..??

vagina..?

goo..?

OH, Tim said Jeff Loomis.

Cool..

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by MOSHWITZ View Post
                      Matt,,,I've been a hardcore Digitech rack supporter for years(TSR24, 2101/LE, multiple 2120's) You would not be disappointed ,,this sounds sooooo much better in every way...like the next step in evolution

MOSHON
                      DAVE
                      Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                      Newc - the fx are eventide quality. They smoke and burn anything digitech has ever put out. The A/D converters are much better than anyone elses, and he also uses expensive op amps instead of whatever Line 6 or Digitech could grab in bulk for pennies a pound.

Pete, delurking for a few

Thanks

Then again, I have to ask myself if I would use the effects? To be honest, all I'm using the TSR12 for these days is tone-shaping EQ to do my own form of "amp modeling". If I need Chorus or Reverb or Delay I usually do it in Audition with various filters and layering effects and playing with time offsets.

Part of that's due to the Rolls line mixer being easy to overload - a touch of Chorus sends the unit into Clippingtopia. About the only thing it doesn't seem to mind is the pitch/synth effect patch.

I dunno. Lemme see what comes up in the next few months.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Where do you find a price on an ulta? Ball park figure?

Comment

I guess I opened up a can of worms! HA HA!

Sounds like everyone has pretty strong opinions about them and mostly for the positive. I'll have to look into these a little more then. Hopefully somebody locally will get one in that I can try out.

For those of you that own them it sounds like the general consensus is that you use powered monitors for practice and run direct when playing with band or live. Has anyone tried one of these through that new Bose column PA rig?

Comment

Those that are praising these units are very credible "tone" sources...even tho they're still fuckers!

Wassup fuckers!!

U Mudder Fuggers!!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
                              I guess I opened up a can of worms! HA HA!

Sounds like everyone has pretty strong opinions about them and mostly for the positive. I'll have to look into these a little more then. Hopefully somebody locally will get one in that I can try out.

For those of you that own them it sounds like the general consensus is that you use powered monitors for practice and run direct when playing with band or live. Has anyone tried one of these through that new Bose column PA rig?
                              I had a pair of those Bose L1s. They are fine for the situations they are designed for. But they won't hang with a loud rock band. My drummer hits fucking hard - the Bose don't have what it takes to keep up with that.

I've experimented with a lot of configurations with the Axe-FX:
                              • Boogie 2:90 w/Port City cab (either 4x12 w/V30 or 2x12 w/Golds)
                              • VHT 2502 w/PC cab
                              • VHT 2902 w/PC cab
                              • Fargen Super Collider using 4-cable method w/PC cab
                              • QSC power amp w/PC cab
                              • Crown power amp w/PC cab
                              • QSC HPR122i FRFR active PA cab
                              • JBL PRX FRFR active PA cab
                              • Bose L1 system
                              • QSC power amp w/Yamaha PA cabs
                              • FBT Verve 12ma FRFR active PA cab
                              • FBT Verve 8ma FRFR active PA cab
                              I've settled on using the FBT 12ma (and the 8ma as a backup) and feeding a direct signal to FOH.

The traditional guitar cab route is excellent as well - but save your money and just get a PA power amp unless you can really crank your tube power amp. Remember that a tube power amp doesn't deliver the good stuff unless it is cranked and it is being fed a hot signal.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                                Where do you find a price on an ulta? Ball park figure?

Sup?
                                the standard is 1499.00
                                and the ultra is 1999.00
                                +shipping

http://www.fractalaudio.com/

MOSHON
                                DAVE
                                "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Working...
                                X