What's all the hype about Axe Fx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jgcable View Post
    Mesa Boogie Mark III Green stripe head, Marshall 4 x 12 bottom, guitar cord, guitar.
    No CPU overload hear... just great tone.
    Don't forget to add in the price of tubes. They don't last forever and it gets quite expensive to re-tube a head. Also, your setup above has not even one effect which is fine if thats what you like but if you need a bit of chorus, delay, whatever then start adding more stuff to the above list and more $
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

• Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      Mesa Boogie Mark III Green stripe head, Marshall 4 x 12 bottom, guitar cord, guitar. No CPU overload hear... just great tone.
      How about back overload as in a head and 412 are not fun to lug around. Yes, I'm getting old.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
        How about back overload as in a head and 412 are not fun to lug around. Yes, I'm getting old.
        Roadies.

Comment

• Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
          Don't forget to add in the price of tubes. They don't last forever and it gets quite expensive to re-tube a head. Also, your setup above has not even one effect which is fine if thats what you like but if you need a bit of chorus, delay, whatever then start adding more stuff to the above list and more $
          I forgot to mention I have a $50.00 delay and a $25.00 chorus in the loop.

Regarding tubes.. Mesa tubes are cheap and I only replace them when I notice that the amp is starting to sound dull which usually is around 2 years for preamp tubes and 3 years+ for power tubes.

Comment

• Originally posted by hippietim View Post
            You forgot to mention either a) the fatigued ears from hearing your thin buzzy tone because they wouldn't let you turn up or b) the bleeding ears because they did :ROTF:

Those facts were implied Tim!!

Truthfully.. gigging with the Mark III sucks. The tone is incredible but the only time I can turn it up is a band rehearsal!!

Comment

• just hotplate it , I do with my red stripe and it sounds killer.
              I played thru one of these Axe-FX9the Ultra) units the other night. I was vvery impressed , especially with the wide array of clean tones built into this thing.
              but after palying around with it for about an hour we plugged into a Deizel Herbert head (we were using the Diezel cab with the Axe-FX too, and the Deizel sounded huge next to it. then we plugged into Rivera Seven head, same result, modeler are great, I will probably buy one of these at some point for myself but maybe the reason the pros use real tube amps is because they can crank them up and get the full "effect" of the amp. My Mark III sounds better and better as that master goes up.
              The Axe FX seems to sound the same at old volumes which I find really nice.
              I'd like one of each.
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

• Wassup Nick..where ya been hidin'?!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

• Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                  just hotplate it , I do with my red stripe and it sounds killer.
                  I played thru one of these Axe-FX9the Ultra) units the other night. I was vvery impressed , especially with the wide array of clean tones built into this thing.
                  but after palying around with it for about an hour we plugged into a Deizel Herbert head (we were using the Diezel cab with the Axe-FX too, and the Deizel sounded huge next to it. then we plugged into Rivera Seven head, same result, modeler are great, I will probably buy one of these at some point for myself but maybe the reason the pros use real tube amps is because they can crank them up and get the full "effect" of the amp. My Mark III sounds better and better as that master goes up.
                  The Axe FX seems to sound the same at old volumes which I find really nice.
                  I'd like one of each.
                  Yes, the Pros can turn up tube heads much more than we can due to the size of the places they play. But these have to be really big places. Paul Gilbert was still using a Hot Plate with his Rhoads Marshall amp when I saw him with Racer X in January. I have a Hot Plate for my Rhoads Marshall head too and will eventually try it live at the small clubs we play in my cover band On comparing the Axe Fx to real tube heads, I have to say the Axe Fx compared rather well to my Mesa Dual Recto. Compared to your Diezel and Rivera amps I can't say as I never A/B'd them. Sometimes it depends on how you are running the Axe-Fx. Was it through a guitar cab and a power amp or through powered monitors like the QSC HPR series? And yes, one thing the Axe Fx has that real tube amps don't is the ability to the same tone at any volume level not just when cranked. Attenuators do change the tone a bit but they're a necessary evil for something like my Marshall Rhoads amp.
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

• Is that an Axe-FX in Schenker's rig?

Comment

• that is definitely an axe-fx
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

• Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                        Is that an Axe-FX in Schenker's rig?

Yep, Michael has been consulting with me and Tim as you can see
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

• What are those Bose speakers in Schenker's stack?
                          Dave

Comment

• Bose L1 system
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

• Ahhhh ... now I see the tower behind him.
                              Dave

Comment

• Anyone A/B'd a Digitech GSP1101 and Axe Fx side by side?

Is the Axe Fx 3 times better? I know it's three times the price.

Live I have been using a Digitech GNX3000 straight to the PA and with a FRFR passive monitor because it's so much easier than lugging an amp around. My most frequent usage is in an 80s cover band so I use the Marshal JCM800 model a lot. I think my tone is good with the GNX3000 but not great.

So in my recent tonequest I bought a Marshall JVM410C and paired it with the GSP1101 for effects. Still tweaking but the sound is much more "real" and less plasticy than the GNX3000 when using the JVM preamps. Still trying to tame the buzzyness of the JVM gain though ... not quite there yet. Plus the JVM weighs a ton.

I've only just begun to try the GSP1101 internal models but so far I am having trouble dialing in a sound that doesn't get flabby bass when the gain is turned up.

Anyhow ... back to the Axe Fx ... I'm wondering if I should just sell the JVM and GSP and the GNX3000 for that matter and get an Axe FX and call it a day.
                                Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X