Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GFDD (Great F***IN' DEAL DAY!!) Bogner content...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFDD (Great F***IN' DEAL DAY!!) Bogner content...

I tried one of these out with luke-warm results, but with the deal I got, there was no way to pass it up...

Behold:

I'm not gonna say what I paid for it - I'm a little embarrassed!! It was about 4 months old, and the guy really needed some cash. Let's just say that this isn't a deal you find every day, and that I must have had some karmic repayment for something I floated someone a really good deal on... I got the whole works for not much more than the cab would've cost new...

I gotta get it set up now...some wood-sheddin' to get to...

Fuggin' A..

Congrats..I'd like to play with it.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

She's a finicky SOB... More later. Gotta keep tweakin'.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
        She's a finicky SOB... More later. Gotta keep tweakin'.
        Really..that's surprising. What kinda tone do you go for? I saw that amp on Youtoube at Namm and it seemed like it covers alot of sonic ground.

Happy tweakin'..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

A VHT 4/12 cab price? Then you paid $1K! (just green with envy..
          ignore me! Great find...hope you paid $350.00 for it!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
            Really..that's surprising. What kinda tone do you go for? I saw that amp on Youtoube at Namm and it seemed like it covers alot of sonic ground.

Happy tweakin'..
            Lotsa ground - and therein lies the problem! But it's a good problem to have. Seems like there are about three paths to each tone, and then I throw an SD-1 into the mix just to further complicate things on the crunch side.

So far, I've kinda decided that on the Mercury channel (higher gain), I've set kinda like this:

Gain: 2:00
            Treb: 2:00
            Mid: 10:00 - 12:00
            Bass: 12:00

Punch - On
            Bright - On
            Mid-Shift - On/Off, just depends...

The delay was much more useful than I thought. I hated it the first time I played it, but I've got it figured out now. The reverbs are pretty good!! I might actually use them!

I have the head now, and in the store, I always played the combo. I never liked what I heard in the store, and really thought this amp sucked the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd time I played it. I think part of it is that the only way I like V30's is with *just the right* amp. I've hated them in everything except my Spider Valve and my Mesa F100. I think that's a speaker I'll only like in an open backed cab/combo. The Marshall w/ G12T75's on the other hand - I've never found an amp I didn't like with those. I'm glad I got this cab.

The fugger is LOUD even on the 20 watt side, and just adds a little snarl when you click it over to the 40 watt side. I tried using my Pod Pro in the loop for effects, but it was clipping the Pod out. I'll just use the on-board delay and reverb, and maybe just pick up a chorus pedal or something.

I can't really compare it to much of anything I've had before, and since I haven't owned any Bogner gear before, and can't really compare it to much there either. I guess of all the Bogner stuff I've heard though, it's probably most like the Shiva. I hear Jerry Cantrell in the amp somewhere...

My fingers are sore. I haven't played this long in many, many, many months. Fun stuff.

Comment

I tried one of these out with luke-warm results, but with the deal I got, there was no way to pass it up...

Behold:

I'm not gonna say what I paid for it - I'm a little embarrassed!! It was about 4 months old, and the guy really needed some cash. Let's just say that this isn't a deal you find every day, and that I must have had some karmic repayment for something I floated someone a really good deal on... I got the whole works for not much more than the cab would've cost new...

I gotta get it set up now...some wood-sheddin' to get to...
              Nice amp!, I found one of the 1x12 combos at a music store used for $825. which I belive is a real good deal. They're nice amps but I ended up trading it back in to the same music store towards a Marshall JCM 800 2204 50watt head about two months later. I guess you can figuar I like Marshalls better!

Comment

I'd probably go with a JCM 800 too if all things were equal. But not in this case!

Comment

For those of you that hate these amps, I came across a "secret" tonight. Settings:

Gain: 2:30
                  Treb: 7:00 (off)
                  Mid: 5:00 (cranked)
                  Bass: 7:00 (off)
                  Punch: On
                  Bright: On
                  Mid-Shift: Off

Wow!! Fun!! Super-crunchy in an 80's kind if way. Not terribly dynamic though... Since I needed something just a bit more "modern" sounding, I finally settled with this for now:

Mid: 2:00
                  Bass: 9:00
                  Mid-Shift: either
                  Delay: To Taste

I will reiterate again - this amp is a finicky beast. I've almost sold it a handful of times. Between this and my Single Rec, I've been a busy (read: FRUSTRATED!!) little tweaker. REALLY BUSY. Thank God I still have a Flextone HD so I can stop and just play every now & then!

One thing about this amp, the Bass knob is very active, but not in a good way once you get past noon. I find that for those who think this is a "muddy" amp, make sure you keep it low. I like it at 9:00-10:00 now - no higher or it muds up. One other thing - there's not a lot of difference between the 20-watt and 40-watt setting below 10:00 volume-wise, but the 20-watt setting is "spongier" - just a little note for your reference. Check this amp out. I think it's a hidden gem despite its detractors. I'm still pretty happy with it.
                  Last edited by chrisolson; 08-07-2009, 10:12 PM.

Comment

For those of you that hate these amps, I came across a "secret" tonight. Settings:

Treb: 7:00 (off)
                    Mid: 5:00 (cranked)
                    Bass: 7:00 (off)
                    Mid-Shift: Off

Wow!! Fun!! Super-crunchy in an 80's kind if way. Not terribly dynamic though... Since I needed something just a bit more "modern" sounding, I finally settled with this for now:

Mid: 2:00
                    Bass: 9:00
                    Mid-Shift: either
                    Delay: To Taste

I will reiterate again - this amp is a finicky beast. I've almost sold it a handful of times. Between this and my Single Rec, I've been a busy (read: FRUSTRATED!!) little tweaker. REALLY BUSY. Thank God I still have a Flextone HD so I can stop and just play every now & then!

One thing about this amp, the Bass knob is very active, but not in a good way once you get past noon. I find that for those who think this is a "muddy" amp, make sure you keep it low. I like it at 9:00-10:00 now - no higher or it muds up. One other thing - there's not a lot of difference between the 20-watt and 40-watt setting below 10:00 volume-wise, but the 20-watt setting is "spongier" - just a little note for your reference. Check this amp out. I think it's a hidden gem despite its detractors. I'm still pretty happy with it.
                    Chris, I see it has a boost button on the footswitch. What is that for and what does it do? Is it adjustable??

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      Chris, I see it has a boost button on the footswitch. What is that for and what does it do? Is it adjustable??
                      Boost gives the clean side a little kick in GAIN & volume, and just a slight kick in volume on the drive side. Might be useful in a band setting I suppose. I don't really use it at all though. I have an MXR CAE Clean Boost/OD that I use for things like that. Kickass pedal...

Comment

So.. what do you think Chris? How is the Alchemist???

Comment

So.. what do you think Chris? How is the Alchemist???
                          Love, hate, love!

After the honeymoon was over, I nearly got rid of it. But then I figured out where the good sounds hide (couple posts earlier), and I like it again a lot more. It's my go-to amp when I can't be quite as noisy. Rectos just don't sound good at low volume...this one isn't bad at all! I've gotten used to the effects, and I usually use the on-board ones, although I occasionally use my pedals with it. It's a little noisy with the pedals though. Without them - dead quiet.

All in all, I think I have a pretty good pair of amps that overlap a little, but still have very unique attributes that make it worth having both.

Comment

If the RM100 didn't come up I probably would have went for the Alchemist. 40 watts seems like the perfect amount. I am stoked to try the RM100 for the first time at my gig tonight which is in a few hours!!! My bandmates are gonna be pissed when they see a new amp that they never heard before being used live. Fuggem. They will love it.

Comment

If the RM100 didn't come up I probably would have went for the Alchemist. 40 watts seems like the perfect amount. I am stoked to try the RM100 for the first time at my gig tonight which is in a few hours!!! My bandmates are gonna be pissed when they see a new amp that they never heard before being used live. Fuggem. They will love it.
                              If you can't piss off bandmates, what's the point of being in a band?

Comment

Working...
                              X