Weird popping sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird popping sound

Hey guys. I own a Marshall Valvestate VS100 head and 4x12 cab. For like the past 2 months, my amp has been making these random popping noises. I let my amp idle because I always play it at some point in the day, although I shut it off before I go to bed, (don't be mistaken, I don't turn it on, play an hour and leave it on all day, I keep it on all day because I usually end up playing for like 5 hours).

Anyways, whenever I leave it on, at least once per hour it will make a giant/amazingly loud popping noise. Lately (like in the past week) the popping has been more quiet, but that makes me worry a little more.

I've heard these amps have tubes in them, although I don't know what kind (preamp, etc.) Does anyone know if it just needs a new tube, and if so how much it would cost?

The "VS" should mean "ValveState", which means tube preamp, transistor power amp.

The popping could be electrical interference from other items on the same circuit - fridge kicking in the defrost fan, air conditioner coming on/off, microwave being used, etc etc, or some other form of interference (RF, etc).
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      The "VS" should mean "ValveState", which means tube preamp, transistor power amp.

The popping could be electrical interference from other items on the same circuit - fridge kicking in the defrost fan, air conditioner coming on/off, microwave being used, etc etc, or some other form of interference (RF, etc).
      I think these things really only have 1 12ax7 in the pre-amp -kind of just to warm up the sound - its not a true "tube preamp." I had a small valvestate combo that had no tube in - same circuit. I beleive its more marketing than tone.

Anyway - shut the thing off when you're not playing it. Save the friggin' planet.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        I think these things really only have 1 12ax7 in the pre-amp -kind of just to warm up the sound - its not a true "tube preamp." I had a small valvestate combo that had no tube in - same circuit. I beleive its more marketing than tone.

Anyway - shut the thing off when you're not playing it. Save the friggin' planet.
        Correct. The smaller "practice amp" Valvestates didn't have tubes. The others indeed have only one preamp tube in them.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well this is not the same thing, but the smaller Marshalls seem to be filled with problems. I had a 75 watt mg series. And when you turned it on, the fan would buzz for the first three minutes, annoying as hell! Not to mention it sounded like shit! Terrible purchase.
          I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Thanks guys, I have it plugged into a power strip with a mini fridge and the pedal, so it's probably that. I'll have to make other arrangments with the fridge then. Thanks again guys

Also Jacksonguy666, the smaller ones do suck. I've tried out plenty other of Valvestate's and I hated them all. I liked the distortion that was on the amp, but every other pedal I've had plugged into it sounds better than on any of my friends heads.

Comment

If it ends up still happening, I'd replace the tube. It's only one 12AX7 which you can get for $10-$15.
              Scott

Comment

I doubt it'd be anything other than the mini-fridge, unless it just so happened to kill the tube.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  Save the friggin' planet.

Yeah, do your best to undo millenia of methane gases, raw body waste being washed into the groundwater, volcanic ash circulating in the upper atmosphere, and global climate shifts by turning your amp off as soon as you stop playing, because you know, we gotta leave it for the kids.

:ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

Yeah, do your best to undo millenia of methane gases, raw body waste being washed into the groundwater, volcanic ash circulating in the upper atmosphere, and global climate shifts by turning your amp off as soon as you stop playing, because you know, we gotta leave it for the kids.

:ROTF:
                    I dunno Newc, it seems like too much work. Me having to turn around and click the button and all?

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                    If it ends up still happening, I'd replace the tube. It's only one 12AX7 which you can get for $10-$15.
                    Alright well groovy, I just wanted to know if it'd cost more, I don't know anything about amps, tube, solid, or valvestate.

Comment

Working...
                    X