Portable with headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable with headphones

I fortunately work nights and have time to practice (I need it bad too lol) and was curious what you guys would recommend. I really do not want to spend that much so I think the POD is out so is there anything comparable?

Why is the POD out?

I bought a PODxt for $99 used at GC in March. But I still prefer the tone with my POD 2.3 better, and I see those going for around $50. That and a pair of Sony MVR-150(?) headphones for less than $20 and you are set with a very nice sounding rig.

I tried going to a small amp (VT15, G-DEC) but in order for it to sound good, I need to crank it up too much.

I picked up the PODxt and invested in some AKG headphones ($120). I like the wide variety of tones, but keep going back to the older POD.

So the lowly POD 2.3 with the cheapy headphones still gets first call.

Comment

Pocket POD pro. It's basically a battey operated POD 2.0 so it got all those precious early POD tones. I picked up one new for 120. Better than it's big brother oldster POD2:
      - battery or dc adaptr
      - aux in so you can play along with mp3 or drum machine
      - USB connection for desktop updates and programming

cons
      - not as many effects or flexibility with fx
      - battery lasts about 4 hrs
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

+1 on the pocketpod. It gets nice little tones out of a small box. You can set up presets with the PC software too.

My only complaint is you have no way of transferring over presets already created in Gearbox.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          My only complaint is you have no way of transferring over presets already created in Gearbox.
          True. The editing software also feels out of synch with the other Line6 stuff - I suspect they farmed out the design to another firm. Still, kick ass tones.
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            Pocket POD pro. It's basically a battey operated POD 2.0 so it got all those precious early POD tones. I picked up one new for 120. Better than it's big brother oldster POD2:
            - battery or dc adaptr
            - aux in so you can play along with mp3 or drum machine
            - USB connection for desktop updates and programming

cons
            - not as many effects or flexibility with fx
            - battery lasts about 4 hrs
            I think you missed a con that it cost twice as much as a used POD 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              I think you missed a con that it cost twice as much as a used POD 2.0.
              But can you clip a 2.0 to your belt?
              Blank yo!

Comment

Get a Roland Microcube 30 and a pair of headphones.

Another idea would be the Tascam Guitar Trainer (GT1). Not really an amp per se, but there are some decent tones in there. Plus you can upload MP3s to it and play along with the song, if that's your thing. I love mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  But can you clip a 2.0 to your belt?
                  I can clip it to my ass

I didn't see that the OP had a requirement of it being portable. The only requirement I saw was that it needed to be cheap.

Comment

The little Vox AMPlug things are pretty cool, and only about $40....I have the metal version for playing guitar at work on my lunch break. The only downside to the metal version is you can't really get a clean tone.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      I didn't see that the OP had a requirement of it being portable. The only requirement I saw was that it needed to be cheap.
                      I consider the POD portable - as long as you can plug it in - did he say that it had to run on batteries?

My only issue with the old POD 2.0 is that the computer hook-up is weak - you need to use midi cables/converter. The later PODs have USB - and the latest POD has an XLR in so you can hook up a drum machine or MP3 player to play along with. The pocket pod has a 1/8" in for hook up too.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Get yourself a used Pod XT from Ebay or something, the extra features and amp models are worth it compared to the older ones/Pocket Pod in my opinion.

If not, get at Pod 2, and stay away from the V-amp, those things fall apart from my experience with a few of them. Line6 stuff holds up much better.

If you need headphones as well I've had good experiences with Sennheiser stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the inputs. I was saying the POD was out due to its price. I just need something small for work while on breaks and I do like the idea of plugging in the MP3 player so I am leaning towards the pocket pod but will investigate the VOX. I just need some good metal tones.

Comment

Tascam PocketStudio. Dunno about loading in MP3s but it uses batteries and CompactFlash cards (up to 128MB - really old stuff by now).

Gets great tones, and I don't mean "for the price". It gets great tones period.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Anyone try one of those mini recorders from BOSS? BR something or other? Those seemed pretty cool for portable playing and recording.
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X