low volume harshness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low volume harshness

well i was at guitar center playing some tube amps and i noticed that marhsall jvm and peavey 6505 had alot of harshness when sweep picked it sounded to trebely even with the treble backed all the way off. After that I played a vht pitbull and there was no harshness my sweeping sounded clear without a crazy amount of treble. Vht was a nice amp but not the voicing im looking for. I havn't owned a tube amp in 2 years wich was a carvin v3 and i only used live and at practices and wanted to know if the harshness goes away on alot of tube amps when you turn them louder.
    "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
    Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

I would suggest before you buy an amp at GC, you crank the thing. If they don't want you to do that out on the floor - tell them to put you in the quiet room - failing that, the manager's office.

Been there, done that.

(I've actually been thrown out of the manager's office at the East Brunswick GC - but I still bought that gaddam Boogie!)
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      I would suggest before you buy an amp at GC, you crank the thing. If they don't want you to do that out on the floor - tell them to put you in the quiet room - failing that, the manager's office.

Been there, done that.

(I've actually been thrown out of the manager's office at the East Brunswick GC - but I still bought that gaddam Boogie!)
      I dont think ill buy an amp from GC didnt have anything I want after testing them. I'm either getting a splawn quickrod or modified marshall. Only problem is I can't find any place to try out a modified marshall
      Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post

Been there, done that.

by the way how is your boogie looks like a mk iii is it nice for classic metal and shredding
        Jackson Shred

Comment

Originally posted by toxikdeth View Post
          by the way how is your boogie looks like a mk iii is it nice for classic metal and shredding
          Its a Mk 2A - It'll do classic metal. Might be a little muddy for really articulate stuff, crisp palm-muted, etc - but you get there with a brighter guitar. My Les Paul is very articulate through it.

I've tried IIC+'s and 3's and they don't seem to have much more gain on tap than my 2A. Problem with a lot of these old Boogies is that they've been fucked with over the years - you have to try out the individual amp. I tried a 2A in Brooklyn today and it was complete, noisey shit. My 2A also doesn't react very well at all to pedals - boosts or distortion - so seriously, try before you buy.

Also - you have to crank these little combos to get the power tubes grinding right - earbleed levels.

Edit: Oh, here's some clips - just fuckin' around, nothing special (actually pretty embarrassing playing wise), but you can get the idea...

Psyched for Metallica tomorrow - thought I'd share some enthusiasm....Ibanez 770 DX straight into my Boogie Mk 2 at bedroom levels... ignore the girly painti...

Ignore the really sloppy playing - I was just out to demo the amp and just played off the top of my head. Its a Mesa/Boogie Mark II A or B - not quite sure ...
          Last edited by Grandturk; 06-28-2009, 12:55 AM.
          Blank yo!

Comment

TURK!!! Dude, we got the same Michael Parks "Gargoyles" painting..!!!

I bout mine in '92. It's been hanging in my music library for a few years now..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              TURK!!! Dude, we got the same Michael Parks "Gargoyles" painting..!!!
              Cool!

That's my wife's - she's had it forever since before I met her - 11 whatever years at least - probably a college purchase around the same time you got it.
              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
              X