Who uses their amp's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who uses their amp's

Gain to obtain their distorted tones, and who operates their amp on the clean channel using a pedal to get their distorted tones?

I'm just interested in what you all prefer.

Me, I use a pedal. I am friggen hooked on pedals lately. My amp is basically just a loud volume source for my pedalboard and my guitar's pickups. Unless I am running all of my pedals in bypass, My tone is coming way more from my pedals than from my amp.

My pedals are so much more versatile in dialing in a specific tone than my amp could ever be. And it is much easier to dial in anything on the pedalboard due to the fact that it is a good distance from the amp. I can play with the knobs (sounds gay ) at volume and not worry about feedback from getting too close to the amp to adjust knobs when the amp is at volume.

In essence, I MUCH prefer pedals run through an amp's clean channel versus relying upon the amplifier's gain.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
    Gain to obtain their distorted tones, and who operates their amp on the clean channel using a pedal to get their distorted tones?

I'm just interested in what you all prefer.

Me, I use a pedal. I am friggen hooked on pedals lately. My amp is basically just a loud volume source for my pedalboard and my guitar's pickups. Unless I am running all of my pedals in bypass, My tone is coming way more from my pedals than from my amp.

My pedals are so much more versatile in dialing in a specific tone than my amp could ever be. And it is much easier to dial in anything on the pedalboard due to the fact that it is a good distance from the amp. I can play with the knobs (sounds gay ) at volume and not worry about feedback from getting too close to the amp to adjust knobs when the amp is at volume.

In essence, I MUCH prefer pedals run through an amp's clean channel versus relying upon the amplifier's gain.
    I have the Vypyr Tube which a modeling amp with TRUE tube circuitry. I use only the vypyr, and my guitar. Thats it. But it has MANY great effects and does a spectactular job of modeling some fender, marshall, Krankenstein and peavey amp, so it all i need. (it also models MANY more amps, those were just what i chose to list. It has 24 amp models.)
    I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

I use both: I get a fair amount of grit from the amp, then push it over the top with a pedal. I've got a Maxon OD-808 for one type of push, and an OCD for another, more aggressive push. Right now, I have them both set at zero or almost zero gain, with the level up just about full. I also use them individually and together with the clean channel, to get some other tones ranging from clean to slight OD to almost full-on distortion OD.

Comment

Originally posted by jet66 View Post
        I use both: I get a fair amount of grit from the amp, then push it over the top with a pedal. I've got a Maxon OD-808 for one type of push, and an OCD for another, more aggressive push. Right now, I have them both set at zero or almost zero gain, with the level up just about full. I also use them individually and together with the clean channel, to get some other tones ranging from clean to slight OD to almost full-on distortion OD.
        That sounds like a pretty cool setup.

I am running two different OD pedals, using one basically as a lead boost that adds a bit more dirt as well as volume to the tone and the other is a tube screamer clone that rocks. Great for hard hitting blues.

For distortion, I have a choice between a great Fuzz pedal and a kickass Metal pedal that is damn near impossible to NOT dial in a firebreathing tone.

I run my amp as clean as possible (one channel tube amp), but at volume, it is hard to keep the tubes from breaking up without rolling off on the guitar's volume knob.
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I have an H&K switchblade, I've only used the amps distortion as it doesn't do clean tones very well. Lately I've consided getting a pedal just to see if it offers anything more than the amp tonewise, maybe someone can suggest one that would compliment the switchblade (not to hijack the thread)

Comment

Amp.

Pedals sound like pedals.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Amp..unless I'm goofing off with my V-amp.

Comment

All amp for me. Pedals just sound fake.
                Scott

Comment

if i play SS heads i use pedals infront of the clean channel. if i play a tube head then i use the amps gain.

now additional stuff to the tone ie eq,maximizer,modulation, or vol pedal i put in the loop and regardless of amp type the wah infront. i dont use either vol/wah pedals now but when i did, thats what i did.

Comment

I generally play through a crate red voodoo, then it's straight face melting tube gain. I've also been experimenting with a rack I'm putting together.
                    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Axe-FX Ultra...so I guess I don't have a "real" amp or a "real" pedal but I ahve a plethora of simulations of them.

But I digress. I've always been of the opinion that if you need a pedal to make the amp get a good distorted tone than you should look at another amp.

Comment

I don't use the boosts because the amps don't have enough gain, I just prefer slamming the front end and winding up the power section. Both of my main amps (Krank Chadwick and ENGL Blackmore) have more gain on tap than what I am getting by pushing the front ends with the boosts, it's just a different kind of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                          I generally play through a crate red voodoo, then it's straight face melting tube gain. I've also been experimenting with a rack I'm putting together.
                          oh my blue tolex BV not good enough for you
                          hows that rack comin along?
                          mines is now
                          hafler t3
                          ada mp1(mod3)
                          behringer eq
                          bbe 362
                          hush II
                          mesa 50/50

yes, it sucks to carry. and i used to bitch about carryin the BV.

Comment

Depends on which amp I play. My Bogner Uberschall needs no pedal as it has tons of gain and distortion as is. With my Randall RM100 or Bogner Ecstacy, I don't use a pedal either for the most part as these have enough gain although not Uberschall levels of gain. Same with my Mesa Dual Recto, no pedal. I do use a Fulltone OCD with my Marshall Randy Rhoads head and its sounds great! The shear volume on that Marshall head will blow you back a couple feet, the OCD can saturate the tone more. I have an old MXR script logo Distortion+ that I've used with the Marshall but the OCD is better. Like Matt_B said, with the Axe-Fx I don't use a "real" pedal. Some amps sound better with pedals in front of them and I'm not opposed to using even a cheap pedal in frint of an expensive amp if the combination sounds good
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                              For distortion, I have a choice between a great Fuzz pedal and a kickass Metal pedal that is damn near impossible to NOT dial in a firebreathing tone.

I run my amp as clean as possible (one channel tube amp), but at volume, it is hard to keep the tubes from breaking up without rolling off on the guitar's volume knob.
                              Bombtek, what is that "distortion" pedal you are talking about? And what amp are you using?

For me it's a Marshall DSL50 with a lil' push from a modded Keeley Tubescreamer when I need some gain.
                              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                              X