No announcement yet.

Who uses their amp's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mainly just use the od channels on my amps blackstar HT-5 and peavy valveking 212, the clean is much better on teh valveking, and I prefer the tone of the VK by a little bit, but both with an od pedal or the GT-8 acting as an od boosting really gives them some extra punch.

I do need to resurect well buya new power supply as I stupidly left my last one in college and it magically vanished, when I do i'll be running the bad monkey and NS-2 and maybe i'll get a chorus adn delay...

I've never found the distortion pedals to sound as good as natural overdrive froma tube amp, pushing the front end is cool but it doesent have that same artifical and often nasty quality that some dist boxes have..

I did try a keely MT-2 through a fender clone which worked well but I wouldnt like to use it into a solid state amp or really have it for amain tone..

i'd love to get a single channel gh50l and just boost it with an OD...

Comment

For me, my main amp is a Soldano SLO100, and I absolutely love the gain
      the amp puts out. For leads, I do sometimes kick in a Boss SD1 (level high, drive low) for a bit more sustain and hair,,,,but the core tone and drive is all amp. I do the same thing with my little Carvin X60A, too. I had it modded for a bit more gain on the OD channel, and use the Boss SD1 for leads.

Comment

i use a marshall DSL100 with the gain on 6 (or 1 o'clock) and clean boost that with the Boss SD-1.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I've never found a pedal that comes close to the tone of a good tube amp with enough gain. Everytime I put a pedal through either my Triple Rec or 5150 they just sound weak. I have some pretty decent ones that I have bought for resale, and neither amp has liked them. I've tried a bunch and the closest best sounding one to my ears was a Mesa Bottle Rocket which didn't sound bad but still not as good. Everything else has sounded very thin and "fake". I've tried few in my day. Jeckyl and Hyde, Old Rat, Old Tubescreamers, MXR Script distortion, you name it. I buy and sell gear every so often, so I tried a few. I'm begining to think that maybe my amps just don't like distortion pedals, but then again I didn't buy an Triple Rec to put a pedal in front of it anyway. That kinda defeats the purpose no?
          Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

ive got the switchblade just like voyager1000 great amp but I do manage to get good cleans...no fender like cleans but still good clean.As for the gain, its all the way up as my bass and treble and my mids are at 12 oclock.I may try a maxon od9 or a ibanez tube screamer on top if I can lay my hands on one.yup...im a gainiac...still love to krank up the the good old marshall tone with the lead channel and just a little reverb to make it sound like youre playin in front of a freakin arena!
            Last edited by metalvince333; 07-01-2009, 04:23 PM.
            I wonder what it feels like to have money...

...ahhh fuck it guitars are better!

Comment

You can get some good distortion tones from the right amp/pedal combo, but I still prefer the sound of a good amp without a pedal.

Comment

I always use the amp gain.

Comment

I use all kindsa shit. I will use: the amp gain by itself; amp gain pushed with a Bad Monkey (lvl up, gain down); amp gain pushed with a clean boost; clean with Bad Monkey for bit of hair; clean with Crunch Box

We're doing a 4 hour cover set, so I'll use whatever I feel suits the song on a given night
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                    Bombtek, what is that "distortion" pedal you are talking about? And what amp are you using?

For me it's a Marshall DSL50 with a lil' push from a modded Keeley Tubescreamer when I need some gain.
                    The amp is a Crate V18 212 and the Fuzz pedal is a Big Muff Pi. The distortion pedal is a Biyang Metal End (look it up and check out all the tonal options). You just aren't gonna find another pedal out there like the Metal End. It is simply an awesome tool for any rig that needs high gain.

I'll also add that the two OD pedals are an Artec Blues Driver for the boost, and another Biyang pedal, the OD-7 for my TS needs.

You guys might disagree with my choices, but honestly brand name means nothing to me and value does, that's why I went with my offbranded Chinese pedals. I gotta say, the really do kickass.
                    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Legacy II and no pedal. I will probably try an OD set as mentioned many times already. I might even try a Jemini. Most of the time I'll stick to just the amp. Different flavors are cool, but I bought a Legacy for the lead tone.

Comment

Amp. But i have used pedals in front of clean channels too in the past. So I guess both is the right answer for me... lol.

Comment

I personally use my amps distortion *sounds great around 3 or more* to get my power tubes to warm up a bit.. I will use depending on the guitar a modded sd1 pedal with just enough drive to push the preamp tubes a bit more...

But using Amp Distortion is better!

Cheers,
                          Charlie
                          Amps
                          1994 Marshall JCM 900 SL-X 2100
                          Line6 Spider 3 30 watt

Guitars
                          1985 Fender Strat MIJ '62 Reissue Fiesta Red
                          2006 Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White
                          1992 Jackson Professional Rhoads Pro
                          2005 ESP LTD MHB 400
                          2006 Martin D16 GT