No announcement yet.

Uber or Nitro???? Who wins this battle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uber or Nitro???? Who wins this battle?

When it comes to plug in and go gain / distortion with a slight emphasis on leads, who wins in your opinion?

That depends i've never perosnally been blown away by the splawn tones theres a certain dryness or some qualtiy i dont like with their tone's, I think the uber is easily one of the best plug in and balls out amps you can have.

Bill loves metal and uses his for beastly tones, and a few others here use them one guy who's name escapes me plays 80's style hair metal I think, allthough he's using an Axe FX now a lot as it's easier to carry...

I wouldnt really but those amps in the same catagory plenty of guys love the splawns and the tones they get but I havent heard any splawn truly spound fantastic, plenty of uber recordings blow me away...

But I do love that saturated and kick ass uber tone...

Anyway you can try both these amps and find which is the best one for you???

Comment

I love all the Splawn clips I've ever heard. They certainly put me in mind of a hot rodded Marshall, Classic but organic Van Halen tone. which I love.

But I couldn't possibly be happier with my Uberschall. It just has so much on tap to do anything I'll ever need. It has a very thick, "heavy" metal sound. But it can be tamed for more 80's stuff. But I rely more on my Marshall rack for that stuff.

That Axe FX certainly seems impressive. But that may be too complex a unit for me. I have OCD, and I think it would drive me nuts.

But you must play 'em both and let your ears decide..both great amps. It's all what feels and sounds right to you.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

niether. gorilla GC20 - pure face melting distortion all the way. bogner copied his design off the gorilla. marshall started using clipping diodes after hearing how awesome the gorilla was.....
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I played both at wild west guitars and I prefer the nitro. But then again I don't play any modern music I just play old school metal, thrash, and neoclassical. I liked the nitro because it was more marshally than the uber and to my ears more tight and a tad bit brighter. I also liked the 2 od features and the solo boost on the splawn. But the uberschall is an amazing sounding amp is well it was better than the splawn at low volumes and if you play modern music it would be better then the splawn. I'd also like to throw out the splawn gets loud fast ounce u get to about nine it goes from quiet to stage volumes. So both are amazing amps just depends on what you play
          "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
          Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
            niether. gorilla GC20 - pure face melting distortion all the way. bogner copied his design off the gorilla. marshall started using clipping diodes after hearing how awesome the gorilla was.....
            Thought you were serious till I saw the gorilla
            "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
            Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

I was gonna say...WTF is with your Gorillas ? They were a joke in the 80's!

Comment

Not sure this really adds to the thread, but I gotta say that the last couple days I've been playing with the Uber amp sim on my AxeFx Ultra. I've never played a real Uber, but the sim is awesome. Just curious, where do Uber users typically run the bass control? I'm running it around 9 o'clock on the AxeFx.

Comment

To my ears the best Bogner is the Ecstacy 101B
                  From what I have heard.. the Splawn Nitro is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by gdog View Post
                    I was gonna say...WTF is with your Gorillas ? They were a joke in the 80's!
                    that's the point!!!!
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                      Not sure this really adds to the thread, but I gotta say that the last couple days I've been playing with the Uber amp sim on my AxeFx Ultra. I've never played a real Uber, but the sim is awesome. Just curious, where do Uber users typically run the bass control? I'm running it around 9 o'clock on the AxeFx.
                      Yeah..about 10:00 for me since the Tung Sols. But always ran it full tilt with the stock JJ 12ax7s.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        FWIW: John for my needs the 101B would NEVER cut it, but the Nitro prolly would.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzuk1 View Post
                          Bill loves metal and uses his for beastly tones, and a few others here use them one guy who's name escapes me plays 80's style hair metal I think, allthough he's using an Axe FX now a lot as it's easier to carry...
                          That would be me I play my Uber in an 80's hard rock cover band. I run the gain on the Uber distortion channel about halfway up or maybe a bit more, typically no more than the 1:00 O'clock position. It will do 80's hard rock nicely there. I do have an Axe-Fx as well but I have not converted to using it exclusively. I still use the Uber as well as other amps. There is so much good sounding stuff out there that I'm reluctant to play only one of them although the Axe-Fx is the easiest to set up and most consistent. The Uber is very sensitive to voltage and I found this out first hand at a local club one night when their crappy voltage rendered my Uber unuseable for the evening! The Uber is easy to dial in however and out of all the tube amps I have sounds the best at low volume. Others have to be cranked but the Uber is good anywhere.
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            I have an Ecstacy 101B as well as my Uber. The 101B is an incredible amp as well. Not as much gain as the Uber obviously but enough to do hot rodded Marshall plus it has a great clean channel and tons of voicing options on it. It will please tone snobs for sure while the Uber excels at pummeling you with the best high gain tone
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

I love the Nitro and have also owned a Pro Mod and that was a great head too... But I love chasing tones and an amp whore. That being said I would love a Ecstacy 101b. Played one for an hour a few years ago and if I had the cash it would have been mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X