Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carvin MTS3200, Peavey VK100, or Crate BV120?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a Peavey VK for a while, and it was a pretty decent all around amp. As noted, it may not be the "sturdiest" amp... I lost a knob, and one push button in the time I had it, but it was built well enough for moderate gigging.

I ended up giving it to my 18 year old nephew as his first tube amp, and moved on to other options. Tonally, I thought it was pretty cool though... I just prefer to buy gear made in the U.S. or U.K. when I can.

Comment

Zeegs I kick myself for not grabbing that MINT B-52 AT-100 half stack for $650 about a year ago. That amp sounded surprisngly good. But, I'm waiting to grab a used Peavey 3120 for my son..They're very comparible in tone and price. I think you like 'em.

Oh BTW: BBE 422 or even a 462 really wakes up a Crate BV120!! It was actually a deal breaker for a customer at GC years ago that was on the fence about buying it. I suggested trying a BBE in the loop and the guy bought immediately. In fact GC tossed in the used BBE 462 wehn he bought the Crate. I should've got a commission for that.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
        Zeegs I kick myself for not grabbing that MINT B-52 AT-100 half stack for $650 about a year ago. That amp sounded surprisngly good. But, I'm waiting to grab a used Peavey 3120 for my son..They're very comparible in tone and price. I think you like 'em.

Oh BTW: BBE 422 or even a 462 really wakes up a Crate BV120!! It was actually a deal breaker for a customer at GC years ago that was on the fence about buying it. I suggested trying a BBE in the loop and the guy bought immediately. In fact GC tossed in the used BBE 462 wehn he bought the Crate. I should've got a commission for that.
        I truly regret trading mine, but you know how GAS is. If I ever get a chance to get it back, I'll jump at it. In the meantime, I'm building a SLO 100 clone, and I'll probably pick up a XXX or a 3120 pretty soon. My Marshall is pissing me off right now, and I can't figure out what's wrong with it.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

well theres a carvin x100b on my local craigslist(charlotte, nc) for 375 obo plus shipping of course

do not get the valveking. useless for metal imo.
          the bv is agreat amp but you'll need a ge7 and a sonic stomp in the loop to get it sounding clear and brutal
          just my 2 cents

Comment

Well, the B-52 is in the mix, one local for $300. Probably check GC used stuff 1 more time and see about pulling the trigger. Tired of waiting now..
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Just to screw up the mix a bit.... Where do you think the Marshall Mode Four (MF350, hybrid - tube pre, ss power) fit in the mix? There's one around for $500 with a peavey 5150 4x12 cab... What ya think?

Comment

Check it out Zeegs. That sucks about the Marshall.

Warlock I personally hate the Mode four!! The B-52 would eat it and that's a good price.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The guy made a mistake in the ad, B-52 isn't local... Man.. tired of flakes.. I'm going to GC tomorrow.. I'll see what's there. This is why everytime I set a "budget" for something, I fight with the lady when I get annoyed and spend way more than I wanted just cause I get tired of looking!!

Comment

Looks like I'm picking up a Blue Voodoo (120) on friday... Woohoo! I don't know why but I almost feel like when I have a choice, I always go back to Crate... No comments needed.. Thanks for the input guys!!

Comment

sweet. hope youre gettin the black tolex version

Comment

You're killing me.... Blue... Why?

Comment

no reason. they're all the same. i had the blue and the black.. Jayster now owns my old blue one. hes got a red one too. i just like black. i hated the splash of color on the face of the blue ones. not to mention the gold
                          what can i say. i'm kinda vain.

Comment

Don't scare me like that!! Yeah, I like black too. I have my excalibur that has all the same hardware and logos but chrome. And I'm gonna get black tolex to recover a cab soon so I might get enough and redo the head as well..

Comment

Working...
                            X