Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
    Just use an Axe-Fx, it will work at whatever volume you want
    I understand that, as I am in the process of saving up for an Ultra...

Just curious, that's all

- Leo.

Comment

I think it's the metal mindset that bigger is better that precludes a low-watt tube metal amp. Plus John and Bill point out well that modelers serve that low-volume role so well and at a very low cost, why bother with tubes in that case? The modelers are cheaper and at that point, more versatile.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I agree with the other guys who think it's more of a marketing thing. Most metal dudes I know are locked into the "bigger is better" mindset when it comes to their stage rigs, and are happy to use a modeler for bedroom practice levels.

Personally, I'm using the Egnater Rebel a lot these days. Cranked it's metal enough for me... Not super high gain, but works good in the mix with my other guitarist, and we play industrial metal stuff. I do a/b it with a 5150 half stack for tonal variety. My rig's pretty funny looking!

Comment

Not denying I like the modellers.
          But the one thing they don't do well is still be "responsive" at low volumes.
          Getting away with far fewer effects lately-just digging the sound of a quality guitar hooked up to a very responsive amp.
          When it talks back, not in bad feedback, but just takes that note and goes...well it's something the modellers (Line 6 Spyder, GT8, Vox Valvetronix) have into really done for me unless cranked to very high volumes.
          I've played there, and am tempted to buy something.
          I will, eventually.
          But not to expect it to replace what I know will give up 90% of what I want anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
            Not denying I like the modellers.
            But the one thing they don't do well is still be "responsive" at low volumes.
            Getting away with far fewer effects lately-just digging the sound of a quality guitar hooked up to a very responsive amp.
            When it talks back, not in bad feedback, but just takes that note and goes...well it's something the modellers (Line 6 Spyder, GT8, Vox Valvetronix) have into really done for me unless cranked to very high volumes.
            I've played there, and am tempted to buy something.
            I will, eventually.
            But not to expect it to replace what I know will give up 90% of what I want anyways.
            I find almost the complete opposite. At low volumes.. decent modeling amps are extremely responsive. Also... most modeling amps tend to fall apart sonically at very high volumes... thus making them the perfect home, recording and small gig amps where moderate to super low whisper quiet tones are needed. I don't feel valves opening and closing until the cops come. Even super low wattage tube amps are pretty loud.
            It seems to me that most players around here are looking for high to exxtremely high gain. Many of them want that amount of gain for home use. Nothing beats a modeling amp for that + you get effects, a tuner and a bunch of other features. My Behringer LX112 is a mono 60w 1 x 12 combo and if I plug an extension cab into it, it automatically turns on an additional 60w power amp and turns into a true stereo rig. It also does a ton of other things and it sounds great. I paid around $150.00 for it used (it was only 6 months old) and it has been trouble free for the last 3-4 years.

Comment

Not sure what I was thinking...I've heard modelling amps at small clubs and you are right-they don't cut through the mix very well.
              I'm just biased!

Comment

Have you looked into the Marshall Haze amp? It sounds like it'd get what you're wanting plus has built in digital effects. It has a power amp section with 2 6V6's so it's supposed to be around 15-20 watts. I can't wait to try one!

Comment

I had a chance to use a 60W Flextone at band practice last week. Coming from my El Diablo, this thing had no cut whatsoever, and distorted in a bad way well before I reached the volume needed to be heard over the drummer. All the models sounded like a distortion pedal with some EQ changes.

At bedroom volumes it sounds okay but still lacks the presence/response of tubes. Modeling amps have come a long way, but they still don't touch a tube amp, even at low volumes.
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
                    Have you looked into the Marshall Haze amp? It sounds like it'd get what you're wanting plus has built in digital effects. It has a power amp section with 2 6V6's so it's supposed to be around 15-20 watts. I can't wait to try one!
                    I'm kind of interested in these, too. But from the demo videos I've seen, they basically have that "classic" Marshall hard rock tone until they're pushed to a very high volume. Probably good for small clubs, but way too much for a "bedroom" amp.

I've kept my eye on a lot of these threads because I'm interested in the same thing, tube amp sustain and saturation at a reasonable volume. I'm really becoming convinced that what I want is impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      I paid around $150.00 for it used (it was only 6 months old) and it has been trouble free for the last 3-4 years.
                      Boy, did you ever goof! You should have ponied up another $1350 for that hand-wired, Judas Priest/Scorpions tone machine!
                      "POOP"

Comment

I just played a VOX Night Train and it has some very thick tones! The sound clips I've heard don't do that amp justice at all. It was pretty heavy sounding IMO. It was running through a Marshall MG series 4x12 cab. Definately worth checking out.

Comment

Someone mentioned the Axe-fx, where do you get those? I don't see them on MF. How much do they cost?
                          I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
                            Someone mentioned the Axe-fx, where do you get those? I don't see them on MF. How much do they cost?
                            www.fractalaudio.com

$1499 standard
                            $1999 Ultra

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                              I'm kind of interested in these, too. But from the demo videos I've seen, they basically have that "classic" Marshall hard rock tone until they're pushed to a very high volume. Probably good for small clubs, but way too much for a "bedroom" amp.

I've kept my eye on a lot of these threads because I'm interested in the same thing, tube amp sustain and saturation at a reasonable volume. I'm really becoming convinced that what I want is impossible.
                              I had a THD univalve that I had yellow jackets with triode thingamajigs and such. They brought the amp down to about 2 watts. For a bedroom, 2 watts is still friggin LOUD!!! I think you have to go modellers.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                                I had a THD univalve that I had yellow jackets with triode thingamajigs and such. They brought the amp down to about 2 watts. For a bedroom, 2 watts is still friggin LOUD!!! I think you have to go modellers.
                                Yes, sadly, the THD was one of the amps I was looking at. It's not horribly overpriced, all tube, etc. It would probably be the ticket for recording at my buddy's home studio with a single 12" and a good mic, but I had hoped it would be good in the "bedroom" too.

Comment

Working...
                                X