Orange Crush or Peavey Vypyr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Crush or Peavey Vypyr?

Which one would you recommend? I'm in need of an amp, and want to keep it under $250. I can get either easily, so availability isn't an issue. I do mostly metal stuff, with some blues and rock as well.

I've been using the vyper for 6 months now, love it, you can get some great sounds out of it, for home use I can't see past it, however I wouldn't use it live as it gets a bit harsh at higher volumes

Comment

Vypyr is way more versatile. The Orange is pretty bare bones - but definitely looks cool...

Comment

Does the Vypyr have any problems I should watch out for? I looked around at a link I got at another forum, and I saw many posts regarded troubles with startup, hissing and speakers blowing. Is this very common on the Vypyr series?

Comment

This came up before on here..I've had no problems with mine in the time I have used it, it is incredibly quiet..no hiss whatsoever, no start up problems, can't see why the speakers would blow unless your really cranking it all the time (even then??)

Have a look on you tube, there are plenty of reviews of it on there.

To expand on what I posted earlier, if your looking for a practice/home or recording amp the Vyper all the way...Live amp..with your budget I would maybe go with one of the Marshall MG series or get a second hand Valvestate.

Comment

It's for bedroom use only. The Vox VT15 has also caught my eye, can anybody throw some input on how that stacks up against the Vypyr, I've pretty much decided against the Crush and they'll cost me the same.

Comment

if purely for just bedroom practice id go line 6 pod or korg Px5d and a good set of headphones, then its portable, quiet, and extremely versatile

Comment

The vox stuff is good I havent played through the VT stuff yet but it's supposedly got improvements over the AD series which I alwyas liked the tone of...

I hate palying through headphones it might be the quietest way but it also can lead to ear fatigue and I would argue many of the sounds from the vipyr and VT's are better than a pod, still most prefer the sound and feel of a speakers rather than simulation of speakers...

As for the vypyr's the first run seemed to have a few problems but I havent heard anything lately of them blowing up randomly or just dieing for no reason...

So Peavy seemed to have sorted the reliabillity issues that were in teh first runs..

I'd have to give a slight nod to the vox as so far it has the best feel of the majority of modelers plus the antenuator which drives the tube harder is a nice addition..

I may be looking at getting a VT30 myself just need to spend some time with the amp to get a feel for it...

I wouldnt count out the vypyrs but would reccomend you test that and the VT out...

Comment

I have a vt50 vox. I only like 2 out of the 66 sounds(sounded better in GC) and have already had it in the shop since march.

Comment

I have the Vypyr Tube, which is a little more expensive, but I stand behind it 100%! I have not tried the Orange, but I'm guessing it's not modeling, so this way you get more amps, effects and delay and reverb.
                    I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

I have a VT15 and like it a lot. I tried a lot of small amps, but never gave the Vyper a reall good shot. Lots of reliability rumors or real issues. The Vox sounded better to me for a wider range of music.

Since I've had it, I still use the POD with headphones mostly. I bought the VT15 because I was tired of headphones, but in order to get a good tone out of any non-headphone amp, you need to turn it up to get the bass going, and this just ends up being too loud for an apartment. And I don't need it at home because I have a DSL100 1/2 stack. So I should have just stuck to the POD.

BTW the VT15 is quite loud for a SS amp. Almost keeps up with the tube Blues Jr, and has a punchy bass for being a little 8" speaker.

Comment

I bought the VOX vt15 after quite a bit of research both playing and internet. It eventually came down to the new Marshall, Vyper, and VOX. The Marshall was good, but just didn't have the versatility I wanted as I did not want to use pedals (maybe 1 or 2). The Vyper was very cool, but there were so many different capabilities, it seemed over the top. The VOX has several amp models which are really cool to use and then several different effects that can be dialed in. The effects can also be edited if desired. I hooked my MT-2 through it and use the equalizer and effects. Absolutely killer sounds. So, I finally bought the VOX. I mostly use headphones as I live in a townhouse and don't want to bother the neighbors...too much. However, when unplugged this little guy turns into a monster. ust as an aside, I also have the VOX Metal PlugIn which is a really cool little device if you want to go mobile. I hope I didn't overload you...
                        Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Working...
                        X