OD (and other) pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OD (and other) pedals

I'm heading for tube and pedals (instead of the SS and multi board I have). Picking up a Blue Voodoo 120 watt friday. I see quite a bit of people using OD pedals in front of the tube (or ss for that matter) distortion channel. Obviously for the gain/mids/"cut through the mix" boost. Don't know if I'll need/want yet but... What do some of you guys use? I hear Boss SD-1 is pretty good.

Also, I need to pick up a few other pedals as well. What do you recommend for:
    -Tuner
    -Chorus
    -Delay
    -EQ (maybe)
    -Noise gate (or some type of hiss silencer)
    -Compressor
    Last edited by warlok; 07-09-2009, 03:37 AM.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Whats your budget for all those pedals and what tones are you afther?
    Anyways
    OCD Fulltone if you prefer TS than Maxon 808
    TU2 Boss or pitchblack Korg
    Boss CE2 or Ibanez CS9
    old Maxon AD9 or CarbonCopy
    GE7 or mxr or maxon
    ISP decimator or smarte gate

Thats yust some most popular choices that are not too expensive...

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I play everything from sparkly clean to brutal high gain. Budget is a relative and often revolving concept. I normally buy used so I can gett better stuff and not break the bank. Tone?... Don't know yet. I buy, sell, trade so much that I just grab something, try it out and if I don't like it, I sell or trade off for something else. For the sound stuff, just nothing that sounds real digital, trying to get away from that. Things like tuner, just what works good. My POD's tuner seems to be not very accurate for some reason. Mostly my question on everything is What do you use and trust? And what doesn't kill the amp tone much or make anything too digital..
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
        I'm heading for tube and pedals (instead of the SS and multi board I have). Picking up a Blue Voodoo 120 watt friday. I see quite a bit of people using OD pedals in front of the tube (or ss for that matter) distortion channel. Obviously for the gain/mids/"cut through the mix" boost. Don't know if I'll need/want yet but... What do some of you guys use? I hear Boss SD-1 is pretty good.

Also, I need to pick up a few other pedals as well. What do you recommend for:
        -Tuner Boss TU-2
        -Chorus Boss CH1 or CH2
        -Delay Boss DD3 ,5 or 6
        -EQ (maybe) Boss GE-7 (don't get one until you think you need it)
        -Noise gate (or some type of hiss silencer) MXR Smart Gate
        -Compressor
        Don't get one until you need it. It will make your amp extremely noisy and most of the time its not necessary.
        Regarding the SD-1, thats a great choice for the BV120. So is a Bad Monkey, a DOD Juice Box or any type of Tube Screamer.

Comment

OD pedal: There are so many its hard to even begin. Plus, some amps just requires a bit from the pedal while others get most of the distortion from the pedal. Yet others have enough gain that no OD pedal is needed at all. With my Bogner Uberschall I use amp dostortion only, no pedal. With my Marshall Randy Rhoads head I sometimes hit it with a Fulltone OCD upfront.
          Delay: I like the Guyatone MD-3. Its inexpensive, has true bypass, offers up to 3600 ms of delay, and takes up very little room on your pedalboard as its even smaller than a Boss type pedal.
          Chorus: I use the Fulltone Choralflange. Its not cheap but offers both Chorus and Flange in one pedal.
          Tuner: I don't use a pedal tuner but many seem happy with either a Peterson Strobostomp or a Boss.
          Noise Gate: If you do indeed need one, I'd look for the older Hush The Pedal. All metal construction and has 2 channels in one pedal so you can set different thresholds. Comes in handy if you go to a less gainy channel but still have noise as you can go to the other setting on the pedal and not kill your sustain. These are no longer available new but used on E-Bay they're about $75 or less.
          EQ: I'm not currently using one but two that have been around for years are the MXR and the Boss GE-7.
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Tuner: I like the Korg DT-10.
            EQ: MXR 10 band, which I use instead of a OD in front of the amp to push the amp distortion channel harder into saturation.
            Delay: MXR Carbon Copy for analog delay, Boss DD-5 for digital with tap tempo. Would check out Satch's new Vox Time machine which allows you control effect level with a volume pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
              OD pedal: There are so many its hard to even begin. Plus, some amps just requires a bit from the pedal while others get most of the distortion from the pedal. Yet others have enough gain that no OD pedal is needed at all. With my Bogner Uberschall I use amp dostortion only, no pedal. With my Marshall Randy Rhoads head I sometimes hit it with a Fulltone OCD upfront.
              Delay: I like the Guyatone MD-3. Its inexpensive, has true bypass, offers up to 3600 ms of delay, and takes up very little room on your pedalboard as its even smaller than a Boss type pedal.
              Chorus: I use the Fulltone Choralflange. Its not cheap but offers both Chorus and Flange in one pedal.
              Tuner: I don't use a pedal tuner but many seem happy with either a Peterson Strobostomp or a Boss.
              Noise Gate: If you do indeed need one, I'd look for the older Hush The Pedal. All metal construction and has 2 channels in one pedal so you can set different thresholds. Comes in handy if you go to a less gainy channel but still have noise as you can go to the other setting on the pedal and not kill your sustain. These are no longer available new but used on E-Bay they're about $75 or less.
              EQ: I'm not currently using one but two that have been around for years are the MXR and the Boss GE-7.
              +1 Fulltone! I'm using the Robin Trower version (RTO) of the OCD, since I love Trowers tone. The OCD is one fine pedal and I've always had bad luck with distortion pedals.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

-Keeley modded SD-1-

I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of classic OD and Distortion pedals.
                They're all great and well deserving of the praise they get...
                ...however many tweek the tone a bit. For example the Tube Screamer is famous for the mid bump it adds.
                Having decided I like to tone of my 3 channel Marshall I wanted a pedal that kept the amp tone but added a bit more gain for solos...
                The Keeley SD-1 does that. Plus it keeps the low end tight, clear and solid. (great articulation).

Also, a bit of advise from an old dog.
                If your looking to just add gain to an already distorted amp, go with an OD versus a distortion unit.
                Distortion units tend to make an already distorted sound a bit fizzy.

Best wishes

Comment

Working...
                X