Digitech GSP1101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitech GSP1101

Does anybody have one of these? I'm thinking about getting one, I have an old 2101, which I think is great, even if it is well over 10 years old,but I notice alot of metal endorsers, Mustaine, Ammot etc, what do you think?:think:
    METAL, LIVE IT!

As a certified gear whore, I'm all about Digitech all-in-wonders like that. I've read the same reviews you always find about them - sucks, sounds like a modeler, can't touch my real amp, blah blah same old bullshit, as well as pretty much what everyone's saying about the AxeFX - sounds like the real deal, close enough, best ever, blah blah.

Maybe I'll buy one in 10 years when they're going cheap
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I preordered one of these before they were released, and I am still using it. The 1101 is way ahead, imo, to the current offering from Line6 and Boss. The amp models are very responsive, and many of the Marshall type models do a great job of cleaning up when you roll back on the volume control of your guitar.

There is an employee of the parent company who has created his own beta versions of the OS. He has really added a lot of functionality, and a few other models and effects, to the unit. The sight is at http://www.mustbebeta.com

Of course, a number of imbeciles post there demanding ridiculous features and revealing they probably lack the basic knowledge of electronics needed to know you shouldn't use an electric hair dryer in the shower. I noticed the creator added a line about please not contacting Digitech regarding the updates he has provided. He did all of this for free and apparently because he believed in the unit, but some assholes obviously do not appreciate his efforts.

Other than an Axe-Fx, I don't think anything can touch it. I haven't played a Prophesy, but I have owned and/or played all of the other modeling/multi-fx/preamp units released over the past few years.

Obviously, the Axe-Fx is (and should be a better unit), but I believe most of the differences are in the quality and number of effects. Having played an Axe-Fx, the amp models in the 1101 feel and respond very similar to what is in the Fractal unit. Obviously, the 1101 does not provide the detailed amount of control over cap values, type of solder used, and whether or not the little old lady who wired the amp had gone through menopause.

The effects in the 1101 are pretty bread and butter, but very usable. I rely on basic effects - chorus, delay, the occassional flanger or phaser.

People have given the harmonizer grief, but it is workable. It is intelligent base on a preselected fixed scale. I've used it to successfully pull of some Priest and Maiden harmony lines. The inability to define a scale means one or two notes might be different, but as long as you are creative and have a basic understanding of harmony and theory, you can make it work and sound believable. I have notice the harmonizer works best when using the internal amp models.

Still the amp models really shine, and the distortion boxes are great as well. There is a model of the sparkle drive that lets you dial in clean signal to go along with the dirt. I have found it very useful for recreating some early Rush/2112 album type tones. The glisten chorus availabe through the beta updates is a winner as well. It is perfect for high volume clean applications where you want chorus shimmer without too much modulation going on.

I am planning on purchasing an Axe-Fx soon, but will hold on to the 1101. The tweaking options on the Axe-Fx may be too much for me.

Comment

Sounds great, this will be my next purchase.
        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          As a certified gear whore, I'm all about Digitech all-in-wonders like that. I've read the same reviews you always find about them - sucks, sounds like a modeler, can't touch my real amp, blah blah same old bullshit, as well as pretty much what everyone's saying about the AxeFX - sounds like the real deal, close enough, best ever, blah blah.

Maybe I'll buy one in 10 years when they're going cheap
          **But Newc...you have the holy grail of all DSP 2101's! I want to know
          how it stacks up, to the GT-8 or 10 ? IMO...the progression went...

ADA MP1 then ART SG 2000....then Digitech 2101 and then the GT-10
          and now the AxeFx... yes?

Comment

+1 on the comments from Trypp ... spot on

I've moved to a GSP1101 and have been gigging with it now for a couple of months and really like the sound and have had lots of compliments on the tone from the audience and the sound guys. Mostly I use the Peavy 5150 (from the latest beta) and '77 Marsall Master Volume models.

The beta firmware is great and I haven't had any problems with the C48 they have on mustbebeta.com.

The Control 2 foot controller is a must have for live use. You can use a Behringer FCB1101 and other midi controllers but the Control 2 is great because of the large text display of patch names, the tuner display, the stompbox mode, and connecting to the GSP1101 with just a single ethernet cable.

The GSP also works really well with an amp allowing you to change on the fly between the amp's preamp and the GSP's preamp just by switching patches.

The GSP1101 also has two audio processors in it which means effects tails don't get cut off when you switch patches. When I first read about this feature I thought "big deal", but it really is musically useful. If I finish a lead that has delay and quickly switch to the rhythm patch the delay repeats on the last lead note keep going which is cool.

I've never tried an Axe Fx but I have heard it said on several forums that the GSP1101 is as good as you can get without moving up to an Axe Fx which is 3 - 4 times the cost. Someday I might aspire to an Axe Fx, but I'm happy with the GSP1101 right now.
            Dave

Comment

Interesting thread. I wonder how would sound that Digitech looped into my GT8???
              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Lucked up on an 1101 for cheap - should be here this coming week
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Lucked up on an 1101 for cheap - should be here this coming week
                  I think you're gonna really dig it. I've only had mine about a week and I agree 100% with what Trypp said. The amp models, effects, etc... sound very good and it responds pretty realistically to your pick attack and the volume knob. It sounds great direct and also when using my Stiletto head as a poweramp, especially for the Marshall tones. My favorites so far are the 68 Plexi and the SLO. The cleans are outstanding too! I need to try it at band practice through my head to see how it works in that environment. I have a feeling it is going to be an integral part of my live rig

One word of advice. There is a configuration wizard that allows you to select what capacity you are using the unit in. If you don't select the right config (direct, front of SS amp, front of tube amp, through tube effects return, etc, etc...) it will sound like ass. When I first brought it home, I plugged it into my recording interface and the device was set to SS combo... needless to say, I was ready to box it up and take it back almost immediately. Once I got that sorted out I was very impressed. Not that it was too difficult. Navigating through the menus is a breeze.

I haven't tried the beta firmware updates... I'm a bit nervous about that.

Comment

Hmm...I had a GSP1101 and didn't think it was very good at all. I tried it in a number of configurations and never got anything out of it that I liked. Some of the effects are cool though. The harmonizer was terrible though.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                      Hmm...I had a GSP1101 and didn't think it was very good at all. I tried it in a number of configurations and never got anything out of it that I liked. Some of the effects are cool though. The harmonizer was terrible though.
                      That's cool, different strokes for different folks I guess. You used the word "terrible" in another thread. I'm curious why you would say that. Care to elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                        That's cool, different strokes for different folks I guess. You used the word "terrible" in another thread. I'm curious why you would say that. Care to elaborate?
                        I thought the amp sims were fizzy and brittle - the dynamics weren't there either. The amp tones weren't even as good as the Behringer V-Amp IMO.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                          I thought the amp sims were fizzy and brittle - the dynamics weren't there either. The amp tones weren't even as good as the Behringer V-Amp IMO.
                          Interesting. Could you post some examples of your playing/band so I can get a point of reference? I'm curious what type of tones you were trying to pull from it. Also in my experience so far, I can tell the difference tonally between two similar guitars as well as I can with the "real" stuff. When you say amp tones, were you trying to compare the GSP to the real thing as far as accuracy of the models or just the straight up tones?

This stuff interesting because for me, there are really only two big things when judging an amp... the way it responds to the pick (the definition of the attack/how it feels), and whether or not it sounds harsh/cold (or overly fake in the case of a modeler). If I like the way it feels and it doesn't sound harsh, I can usually roll with it.

Comment

The only recordings we've posted were recorded from camcorders and pocket recorders so those won't be great tonal references. I've never compared a modeler to the real thing - that's way too much work and I wouldn't care about the results anyhow. I just try to dial in tones that work for me. We play covers but I don't try and match the recorded tones. I just use 4 basic patches for 90% of what we play: clean, mild crunch, heavy crunch, and lots 'o gain.

I play with a my fingers a lot and use the guitar's volume controls a lot so touch responsiveness matters a lot to me. The only modeler that does this like a real amp is the Axe-FX - particularly when using a good bit of gain. The Roland and Digitech stuff doesn't clean up particularly well when you vary the input. The current Line 6 stuff does pretty good.

- Newc

Comment

Another viewpoint on this in terms of comparing to other modelers out there ...

I play mostly 80s rock and pretty much use only Marshall based tones. I have been very happy with the GSP1101 for the sounds I need. I used to have a Digitech GNX3000, which had some nice features, but the only way I can describe it is that the GSP1101 models are more open and full range and natural sounding than the GNX3000 to my ears. Plus the different settings that the GSP1101 has for working with various amps and adjusting the sound based on what you are plugged into really do make a huge difference in sound.

I've spent some time with the Boss GT-6,8,10 products in a store environment and the models all seemed very fake to me. Not that I've ever owned any of the real amps, but the sound of the Boss GT series always sounded very processed and digital to my ears. It didn't help that the presets all seemed completely overwhelmed by effects. The effects were very nice though, but the core tones just didn't seem right.

That brings me to Line 6. I have to say I haven't tried their latest iteration but have played a lot with the orignal pod and the XT Live and they always seemed to have a strange sheen to the sound that I didn't like and seemed pretty buzzy to me on higher gain stuff. I've read where people say Line 6 finally fixed the buzzy thing with their latest products, but I have not heard them myself.

In terms of a comparison to the Behringer V-Amp ... I bought one of these for my nephew as his first "pedal". I checked it out before I handed it over and the V-Amp was incredibly noisy and the high gain amps were very compressed. It's a great value for the money for someone starting out and messing around but it doesn't compare to the GSP1101 in any way shape or form to my ears. I'm sure they have improved the amp tones with the newer V-Amp models, but I have not tried them.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X