No announcement yet.

Peavey Ultra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frigo what Peavey cab goes with this head?Number or model name that kind of thing.
    I run across used Peavy cabs all the time it would be nice to know which one to look for.It kicks ass with my Jackson cab thats for sure.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
      Frigo what Peavey cab goes with this head?Number or model name that kind of thing.
      I run across used Peavy cabs all the time it would be nice to know which one to look for.It kicks ass with my Jackson cab thats for sure.
      I don't know the model number off the top of my head, but I'll check it out and have it for you by tomorrow, gotta first

I'll try to get you as much info as I can, just because I have tomorrow off and nowhere to go :ROTF:
      Out Of Ideas

Comment

Ahhhh we may be talking about a different animal. The Peavey Utra that my freind owned looked exactly like this..

Here's a 60 watt version...

You guys seem to be talking about a different amp all together.

Bill Z
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks Frigo much appreciated.
          You still rock Bill!!

Comment

Straycat, it's the peavey 412ms 300watt cab i have with it, 75 watt sheffield speaks actually sounds great, dirt cheap too -
            There are some that had celestions i believe as well, but it think the sheffields were first with this, they sound to be made for each other anyway.
            for me just needs some parametric eq, i need to move the mids around a bit for my liking but i'd use that on most any amp.
            Will be rolling tubes in the preamp this weekend, i have jj's, eh's, sovteks and tung-sols to try out see what she can do.

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
            Ahhhh we may be talking about a different animal. The Peavey Utra that my freind owned looked exactly like this..

Bill Z

yeah it's the next version of that -

Comment

I have some JJs as well but the Mesa tubes that are in it sound really good.
              I have a lead on some old Mullards so I may try them in there in the future.
              Thanks for the info thats good to know.
              I see Peavey 4x12 cabs in pawn shops all the time so now I'm armed with some knowledge.
              Should have it back in a few days from the tech he was going to do a check on everything and fix the presence switch and hi gain input jack.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post

Bill Z
                Thats the one I had but it was a 1 x 12 combo.

Comment

just to recap -

i tried out different 12ax7 pre amp tubes this weekend.

for a phase inverter i went with a sovtek 12ax7lps -

i had to play with - (2) jj - ecc803s - (2) electro harmonix 12ax7eh - and (3x) tung-sol new issue 12ax7.

that out of the way i tried in V1, one of each - i left the other three original chinese in the other two slots -

i tested for noise, feedback, and tone - all eq knobs set the way i had it set initially with the stock tubes

first impression was jj sounded best there out of all of them.
                  EH i think sounded ok in V2 (crunch) - , jj's made it a hot crunch.

so far jj's are winning - there i noticed noise with these that i had not heard before - maybe it was there with the stock, but i don't think so or not as much.

i then put a tung-sol into V3 - gave the ultra channel a bit more depth.

i then decided to give the tung-sol a ride in all three slots.

experiment over -

heh, i just wandered off into noodle land chunking out riffage - just loving the "Ultra" channel now -

Only i was not on the Ultra channel at all - i was on Crunch! hah!

Ooooh yeah... i can haz more gainz?

i just didn't feel compelled to try out anymore combinations of the tubes,
                  and really didn't feel they were going to sound as good as this or i didn't care heh.

overall the tung-sols had the most reactivity and tracking to me, i could definately feel it when playing, the JJ were not bad mind you - the difference is small, the JJ's have more dirt maybe, they weren't as rich as
                  i thought they would be.

The tung-sols deliver a articulate sound but also a sound that is more huge and encompasing - harmonics are good.

i put new rubys in the power section - honestly i put it on 60 watts and drove the power section while turning down the preamp section a bit, and it didn't really sound good at all heh, i would have to spend more time checking that out - probably had the pre gain to high i didn't spend but a minute with that.
                  it didn't matter for practice because after putting in all of those tubes, the amp was much more loud.

so anyway i then added old aphex 109 tube parametric eq and old hush iicx in the loop - and that's it. (not while initial testing).

punishing sounds, with this it can do a 5150 type (especially with the jj) and all around good variety of metal tones with the parametric plenty of options.

had a blast playing it too couldn't be happier
                  Last edited by Trem; 07-21-2009, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks Trem good input.
                    My amp guru is doing the minor repairs and cleaning and he said he would try different tube combinations with the pre and power sections.I left the old Mullards with him to try so hope to hear what his take is on the amp overall.
                    It was freakin huge sounding when I got it but maybe he can get more out of it.

Comment

It looks like Peavey changed the look of the Ultras a little bit over time, here is my
                      60 watt Ultra combo, for reference.
                      "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
                      Zakk Wylde

Comment

Just got it back from the amp tech he put a new resonance switch in it and fixed the hi gain jack.
                        He did a complete check up and said no mods had been done to it.
                        Freakin great sounding amp.It kills with the intellifex and Jackson stereo pre-amp.
                        Couldn't be happier with the tone.Cleans are great too but the dirt on the ultra setting is over the top.
                        Oh it kicks ass all on its own but I had to try it thru the rack.

Comment

It seems some here are still comfusing the Ultra with the later version the Ultra Plus. The one with the straight logo is the original Ultra. Decent amp, nothing special.

The one with the Chrome control plate and Peavey logo that changes colors is the Ultra Plus. Kick ass amp and more versatile than the 5150.

I've had one for over 10 yrs and just can't make myself sell it.

The original cabs that came with these are called 412MS/412M (S=Slant Front). They pretty much call all their 412 cabs that, but these had the Metal Mesh grill that matches the front of the head. I don't think they went over great because of the grill, but they were still good cabs.

I use (2) 412MS cabs from the '88 VTM Series Heads. This pic is about 5-6 yrs old, but I still use it.
                          Last edited by Axe_V; 09-23-2009, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Nice dude, yeah i love it - it's a kick ass little amp, definitely a keeper.

Comment

Working...
                            X