Marshall JMP-1 or Prophesy II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JMP-1 or Prophesy II?

Ok, I'm looking for a new preamp to get Marshall tones. I have a Voodoo modded ADA MP-1, for OK Marshall sounds, and a Mesa Triaxis for those great Mesa Boogie tones and a Sansamp PSA-1 for a mix of all the tones, Fender, Mesa, Marshall, Vox, etc.. But, that great balls out Marshall tone is eluding me.

I'm wondering if I should go with the now discontinued JMP-1 (Don't know why Marshall quit making these:think or go to the Rocktron Prophesy?

Which one would get more of the Marshall models?
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Rack units are not that popular these days..

JMP-1 hands down IMO!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks Bill! I've noticed that the rack stuff is not as popular as it once was. I did a search here for some old topics and couldn't much, then I Googled and found an old post you replied too on JCF back in 2004! JMP-1 that sounds like the ticket. I guess I need to find a used one.

Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I owned the Proph II. It is a phenomenal unit it its own way but, plan on spending more time turning knobs than actually playing your guitar. From the countless hours I spent w/it, Marshall tones? Not so much really. Short answer, I sold it. JMP-1 FTW. You can hardly go wrong there.

Rack gear popularity is like national elections. They ressurect every 4 years or so. I happen to like the flexibility but hate the complications. Rack, combo or head and cab(s).... It is sort of like Strat, Super Strat or Les Paul. Depends on what floats your boat the most. I use my rack equally as much as my head and cabs. I don't own a combo. What guy doesn't like the looks of a great rack? ::::pun fully intended::::
        In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

I've owned both... JMP-1 is far superior IMO. I could not get a sound I liked out of the Prophesy, but still miss my JMP-1 dearly!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've got a JMP-1 coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
              Thanks for the replies. I've got a JMP-1 coming!
              Very nice but I strongly recommend powering it with anything but EL34s..5881(6L6) are peachy!!!

I had four freind that used it with the Marshall Monoblock with EL34. I'm the onmly one that happened to have the 6L6 version..it's a pretty big difference bro, Marshall are known for their midrange cut. The 6L6s have a much better TIGHTER more focused bottom end..which that combination certainly use. I also use a BBE 422 for a little extra ooomph..but I use it in moderation or the sub freqs can get quite bloated...not flubbly at all..just bloated. You'll know when you're walls vibrate..

The BBE is not required..get used to it first for a while. Then grab a cheap one off Ebay or Craigslist and give it a shot then. I like it better with it than without.

Keep us posted..tell me what ya think. I could give my setting to start with. From Van Halen to Savatage to Eidolon. It does that kinda stuff the best!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

So what are used JMP-1's going for these days anyway?

What's the next best thing for that JMP-1 sound?
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

I know it's already too late but I vote JMP-1 as a former owner myself.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    Very nice but I strongly recommend powering it with anything but EL34s..5881(6L6) are peachy!!!

I had four freind that used it with the Marshall Monoblock with EL34. I'm the onmly one that happened to have the 6L6 version..it's a pretty big difference bro, Marshall are known for their midrange cut. The 6L6s have a much better TIGHTER more focused bottom end..which that combination certainly use. I also use a BBE 422 for a little extra ooomph..but I use it in moderation or the sub freqs can get quite bloated...not flubbly at all..just bloated. You'll know when you're walls vibrate..

The BBE is not required..get used to it first for a while. Then grab a cheap one off Ebay or Craigslist and give it a shot then. I like it better with it than without.

Keep us posted..tell me what ya think. I could give my setting to start with. From Van Halen to Savatage to Eidolon. It does that kinda stuff the best!

Bill, Got it today! It's a 3-4 old model. I hooked it up to my VHT 2/90/2 (KT88's). All I have to say is wow! Yeah, that's what I was looking for. I tried one of my BBE units an 882, which I use with a Sansamp PSA-1 and Mesa Triaxis. The JMP-1 does not like it, but I need to do some tweaking or get a 422.

I have the Triaxis for my Mesa sound (Into a Mesa 2:100 (6L6)) and this rig for Marshall. I had to read the JMP manual to figure out how to get my G-Major to sound in the mix Should have read it first! The Marshall has an Effect level control for those that don't know.

So, you think I should stay away from the EL34's? That was something I was going to try as I was looking for another power amp as a backup.

Yeah, if you have some killer presets, please let me know. I'm messing with the factory presets right now!

Grand-look around on eBay. They are running from about $400-600 depending on condition. Mine was in mint condition (never racked), but has a broken off input jack bezel. They are plastic. The one thing I hate about Marshall is their use of plastic for hardware including switches, buttons and input jacks, besides the cabinet plastic junk on speaker cabs. I have seen them with broken on/off buttons as well. They are thin plastic junk. I may talk to Trace at Voodoo and see what he recommends for replacements.
                    He did my ADA MP-1 just right.

I just don't know why they ever discontinued the JMP-1? That JV 410H head scares me with all those knobs
                    Last edited by Bengal65; 07-23-2009, 08:34 PM.

Comment

I sold my old JMP-1 for $450 on Ebay a couple months ago. I loved the thing, but have moved on to my AxeFx. For what it's worth, I tried out the JMP-1 sim on the AxeFx the other night. My aural memory is probably not the best, but it definitely reminded me of the JMP-1 and I was getting great sounds! Not sure why, but hardly anybody on the Fractal forum or anywhere else ever talks about the AxeFx's JMP-1 sim.

Comment

Bengal That Mesa with KT 88s is perfect. I would go with EL34 with that preamp..it really loses any balls it has in the low end. My JMp-1 sounds best with the two stock Sovtel12ax7. It's a pain in the dick to open , but once it was I tried a pair of JJs..NOPE, No way!

Anywho I also tried my G major with my Marshall Rack and it didn't sound that good at all. Oddly, the G Makor is 100 times the unit the Marshall JFX-i is , but the JFX-1 has been long discontibued but what it does..it does perfect with THAT preamp.

I'm always use nothing but the OD2 channel (of course) . Without the BBE I always kept the bass shift button on! I keep it off with the BBE 422..it's seems "edgier" is a good way. I always run the poweramp volumes full tilt and use the JMP-1's output level control as my main master volume.

The only JMP-1 control that would vary is the first volume control which I run anywhwere from 15-20..depending how hot the level is. You want to keep the FX unit where it barely clips into the red,,barely blinking.

OK the rest is easy. For Van Halen or Savatage I also use a little delay (Cathredral) timing approx 370MM or so.

GAIN is 13 for classic VH, 16 for classic 'Tage and 20 for anything original I play..metal.

Bass is ALWAYS +6 .
                        Mid is -2 for VH ..-3 to -6 for Savatage (I prefer -2 for my stuff)
                        Treble ALWAYS +6
                        Presence ALWAYS +3 to +6
                        Effects Level..well with the JFX-1 mine is anywhere from +6 to + 9 depending how wet you want it. EX: "Eruption" is +8. The lower you go, thr dryer the tone..the louder it is. That's where the first Volume button comes in handy keeping things even or to taste when switching patches.

The only eefect I use with the JFX-1 is a lilttle slapback delay ala VH. If you want an amzing BIG sounding "speaking of devil" Brad Gillis tone ..there'es a couple "chorus + reverb" factory presets that sound amazing in stereo..or just like the intro of "Don't tell me what love can do" off Balance. The sound is dead on balls.

well, that should get ya in the ball park.

Good luck..any questions..let me know.

Bill Z

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                          So, you think I should stay away from the EL34's? That was something I was going to try as I was looking for another power amp as a backup.
                          BillZ knows his shit... As much as I like an EL34 amp for that "British" tone, when you want that, if you're rocking a preamp that gives you the sound you want already I think 6L6 is TOTALLY the way to go, they are cleaner, better bass, fat, PUNCHY tone.

I was doing the same thing on a "smaller" scale, using a Tube Driver preamp into a clean 6L6 power amp, really nailed the JCM800 tone about as well as you could back then without having a JCM800 (which I did, and I sold, which I still regret.)

Comment

Thanks Bill for the tips! Lots of stuff to tinker with. Yeah, The KT88's in the VHT really shine with this unit. It is interesting what you said about the 6L6 tubes.
                            Here's a quote from the Fryette website describing the 2/90/2 tube tone:
                            "Tonally, the Two/Ninety/Two combines the rich upper harmonic detail of a classic EL34 amp with the clarity and lower midrange punch of a 6L6."

Cool!

Comment

Working...
                            X