Have any of you actually...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have any of you actually...

...cranked your amps up to ten and played that way? Did it survive?

I only ask because I have a Marshall full stack and even though it sounds better at higher volumes (tubes), never had it up at full blast. I have never had the need for that. Half way or so tops.

Anyway, even though this is a pretty useless thread, I was just wondering if an amp can actually withstand that.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Ummmmmm yeah. It helps when you own a guitar shop and no one can complain about the volume..I've ran my 100 watt head maxed quite a few times as well as my 50 and the other amps here. I always worry more about taking out a speaker than an amp.

Comment

Actually, I did mean the speakers (amp was all encompassing). You haven't blown any speakers?
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Ears and speakers are more at risk from running an amp on 10/11 than the head itself.

However, if you ever need to run it maxed out, you either need more powah or a mic into a p.a.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
          Actually, I did mean the speakers (amp was all encompassing). You haven't blown any speakers?
          Nope. I run 25watt greenbacks with no issues.

Comment

Marshall's advertising always said their amps were designed to run night after night on full power. I think you'd hurt your ears before you hurt your amp.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

i turned my 120 watt rivera up to ten the other day. it was AMAZING feeling the floors vibrate and the sonic movement in the room. it was so clear and tight....i had all that power going through 2 12" EVM speakers....it was KILLER
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                However, if you ever need to run it maxed out, you either need more powah or a mic into a p.a.
                Or you like a lot of power tube saturation.

Yeah, that was my favorite way to play my 80's JCM 800, everything on 10. It didn't start sounding good until 3 or 4 and it just kept getting better until the master was maxed.

Comment

I love the way mine sounds starting around 5 or so... but my music room is about 12 x 12... so that doesn't happen....

Comment

A lot of amps reach maximum decibels output well before "10." Typically what you get after that point is sponginess and power tube saturation. That said, since I'm in an apartment, I have not had my Boogie Mk II up past 5. Shit - at 2 it's lethal.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Yup,
                      anything past 3 on my Marshall is saturation.Wolume is the same(its insane)

I help myself with dummy load and SS power amp.Can cranck that bastard full blast if I want and still remain my hearing.I can even bring the volume on apartment level and still sound great

Comment

Yeah.
                        I used to run a JCM 900 thru a 1960 cabinet.

Had done it during a practice and knocked a fish tank off it's stand on the floor above me. Lotsa water and gravel in the rug.

I think we were playing around with Immigrant Song or something.
                        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I had the Mark II up around 4 and it was hella loud.

Comment

When i was the store mgr at Music Go Round. Myself and one of the other guys there turned a couple amps up after close one night. It was a blast to do. We jammed for over an hour then left with our ears ringing.
                            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                              I had the Mark II up around 4 and it was hella loud.
                              The lead channel Master on 2 on my Mk II shakes shit off my walls.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X