I guess I want a "modeler"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T@rgetDrone View Post
    In short, I would recommend recent Boss modelers unless you can get your hands on an Axe-FX to demo. If you end up not liking the Boss stuff, it is a fairly easy flip since they are quite popular. I am not a huge fan of the Line6 distortion models but they have awesome delays, verbs, etc. They are also popular and should be an easy flip if you decide they're not for you.
    The Axe FXs are also easy to flip too. Heck, when Fractal Audio runs out of stock I see Axe FXs selling on eBay for more money then they go for new.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
      There are a lot of Axe-FX fans here.... it's probably great. But from the clips I've heard, I'm not sure I would personally like it (apparently I have strange tastes in tone).
      See, that's the thing. I listened to lots of audio clips and watch video demos of the Axe-FX. It sounded fine to me but I'm honestly don't put a lot of stock in the sound. By that I mean most of the modelers sound good and what sounds good is very subjective.

However, I would bet we could all agree on what makes a tube amp "feel" like a tube amp. Those characteristics (dynamic and responsive) are pretty well understood to anyone that has owned/played tube gear for decent length of time. To me, that's what makes the Axe-FX better than any other modeler - it feels like a tube amp.

Comment

Rack piece? I've heard good things about the TC Electronic G-Force. I keep trying to win one on ebay but some fucker's always faster than me
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
          To me, it's not how many different amps, cabs and effects a modeler offers but rather the quality, both sound and feel, that matters.
          That is EXACTLY what my concern is/was, thank you! I'm not after quantity, but quality, and I am pretty light effects-wise.

Even if the Axe-FX could only model one type of amp, I wouldn't care because it can do it better than an other modeler out there. All I know is I don't need to mess with 20 yr. gear that uses tubes, my racks have gone from a 6 space and 12 space to a 3 space and 4 space and I'm happier than ever with my sound.
          As much as I love a dimed tube amp it's impractical and even forgetting that I just can't have it, for multiple reasons I've already gone into.

I need something consistent and with the best sound I can get, a few effects and easy to use (don't mind spending time tweaking & programming up front but once it's dialed, I don't want to deal with it much outside of stomping on buttons.)

I'm about convinced the Axe-FX is the unit I want.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            I'm about convinced the Axe-FX is the unit I want.
            Do it! Pull the trigger - call them NOW!!! Quickly before they run out of stock.

...or you change your mind...
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              Do it! Pull the trigger - call them NOW!!! Quickly before they run out of stock.
              ...or you change your mind...
              Do yourself another favor and don't buy the standard. It seems that a lot of people that buy them end up turning around and selling them in favor for the ultra. Also, think about your other costs (FRFR speakers[if you are going that way], and a good midi control surface [liquidfoot]) Shit adds up quickly. Visit the forums or ask questions before you buy, it will save you a lot of cash.

-Nate
              Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                I need something consistent and with the best sound I can get,
                The word "consistent" is one that is used quite often when folks talk about the Axe-FX. As much as I love tubes amps, they can be temperamental beasts at times.

...a few effects and easy to use (don't mind spending time tweaking & programming up front but once it's dialed, I don't want to deal with it much outside of stomping on buttons.)
                Some folks have a tough time learning the Axe-FX but its complexity is layered so you can choose how deep you want to go.

I have a decent knowledge base when it comes to amps and effects but I'm not a technical expert on them. That said, I'm learning more and more each day about the low level parameters for amps and the OD/distortion models. The amp models allow you to do crazy things like use the tone stack from a Marshall with a Mesa if you want.

I also understand that tweaking is a lot easier if you only change one parameter at a time and listen to hot changes the sound.

One way to look at going the modeler route is this - if you don't like the sound and feel of the Axe-FX you won't like any modelers which means you don't have to waste time and money buying something cheap and selling it to upgrade.

I will be blunt though - as much as I love the Axe-FX I am not so delusional to think it is the right choice for everyone. Some folks don't want to or can't deal with the complexity it offers. They can't interface with it in the same way they can with pedals and an amp. However, those that can connect with it can do amazing things.

Comment

I'd have to say go with the Axe...after getting my Ultra,, I don't even turn my other shit on anymore.

MOSHON
                  DAVE
                  "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

You guys are killin me! Im going to have to sell my VHT 2/90/2 amp..
                    and my Gmajor...and my ADA MP-1...and my GT-10 !
                    Maybe then i can just be happy with one rack unit, and my Stereo
                    SS Peavey amp? Just stop it!

Comment

double tap
                      Last edited by Matt_B; 07-24-2009, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                        You guys are killin me! Im going to have to sell my VHT 2/90/2 amp..and my Gmajor...and my ADA MP-1...and my GT-10 !
                        Maybe then i can just be happy with one rack unit, and my Stereo
                        SS Peavey amp? Just stop it!
                        I would suggest the path I took.
                        I bought my first Axe-FX Ultra and tried it out and I was sold within a few days. If I hadn't been, I would have just returned it for a refund. After I knew I liked it, I started selling off gear to buy a second one. In the end I sold off:
                        (3) MP-1s
                        (2) ADA Ampulators
                        (3) Microcab 1s
                        (1) Microcab 2
                        (1) Eventide Eclipse
                        (1) TC Elec M2000
                        (1) TC Elec G major
                        (1) DBX DDP
                        (1) Mesa Quad Preamp w/PV MIDI Switcher
                        (1) Axess Elec GRX-4

Selling a lot of gear can be a real pain in the butt so I just posted a few pieces here and there so I wouldn't have to deal with shipping 5 things at once. In the end I covered the cost of both Ultras and threw the rest in savings.

Comment

I will be blunt though - as much as I love the Axe-FX I am not so delusional to think it is the right choice for everyone. Some folks don't want to or can't deal with the complexity it offers. They can't interface with it in the same way they can with pedals and an amp. However, those that can connect with it can do amazing things.
                          That doesn't sound like a problem to me, for me... I like to tweak stuff and I'm used to working with complex user interfaces, some of them even extremely poor designs. I'd rather use something with a good design, but the RESULTS matter more than the process, if you get my drift.

As far as additional stuff, I've got a MIDI foot controller (it's not a good one, just the usual multi-button "stomp in a patch number" thing) to use temporarily which I think will meet my immediate needs. I also have a decent "clean" 6L6 tube combo with a Line In (effects return) if I need to make some noise, but seriously it's not been turned on in a LONG time and should the need arise I would not mind buying a decent power amp & cabs.

I did see the other Axe-Fx thread but didn't want to crap it up with "me me me" and talking about other units as cheaper alternatives and all of that kind of stuff so I really appreciate you guys answering all my questions and your input!

Comment

FWIW, the interface on the Axe-FX is very well done. I haven't used the editor at all (still in beta and I don't want to be a tester) and can't say I miss it.

Comment

The Axe-Fx just sounds "right". If that makes any sense. Plus, if you are going into the house sound, then you don't need the FRFR speakers. Cliff made the Ultra sound good by patching into a soundblaster card and outputting to some cheap PC speakers.

No mbox or anything like that.

That being said,I think what makes it sound correct is simply the horsepower being thrown at the algorithms. I have heard that the POD farm sounds very good because you are not tied to the underpowered Sharc processors that Line 6 uses in their hardware.

So, if you can try out the different flavors of modeling there, you may find something to your liking.
                              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I would suggest the path I took.
                                I bought my first Axe-FX Ultra and tried it out and I was sold within a few days. If I hadn't been, I would have just returned it for a refund. After I knew I liked it, I started selling off gear to buy a second one. In the end I sold off:
                                (3) MP-1s
                                (2) ADA Ampulators
                                (3) Microcab 1s
                                (1) Microcab 2
                                (1) Eventide Eclipse
                                (1) TC Elec M2000
                                (1) TC Elec G major
                                (1) DBX DDP
                                (1) Mesa Quad Preamp w/PV MIDI Switcher
                                (1) Axess Elec GRX-4

Selling a lot of gear can be a real pain in the butt so I just posted a few pieces here and there so I wouldn't have to deal with shipping 5 things at once. In the end I covered the cost of both Ultras and threw the rest in savings.
                                I've tried out the DSP7500, fucking kept crashing, waste of £4.5k. How stable is the Eclipse?
                                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                                X