Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One question from owners of the AxeFx...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One question from owners of the AxeFx...?

Would you still run a quality VHT tube amp with the Standard Axe Fx?
    Or is any stereo solid state amp, just as nice? I wouldnt want to
    sell the VHT 2/90/2 if it would be insane with the axe? But if SS is
    easily on par, then i'll just keep my Peavey 200 wt stereo SS amp, and
    go to the dark side!

I have a Randall RT2/50 power amp sitting here collecting dust as there is no need to use it with the AxeFx.....and that's really all I'm playing through lately. Check out the guy on the Fractal forum that does a lot of YouTube videos. His user name is samhillband or something like that. He was using a VHT2/50/2, but converted to an ART SS power amp and is doing fine with it. No need to mess with tubes unless that is your only option.....or you enjoy the weight and other hassles of tube power amps.

Comment

Thanks Chad. Appreciate the reply

Comment

I have a VHT 2/90/2 and it sounds fantastic with the axe. I have a hybrid set up where I use the AXE with my MTS stuff for metal/bigger venues and VHT 2902 power amp and for smaller non metal gigs. I use just the AXE and a FRFR powered cabinet and it sounds great while being much more portable than lugging the big rack around. IMO I would not sell the VHT until you spend some time getting familiar with the AXE and the IRs available for it. It really does take a while.
        http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Depends on if you play loud enough to get the tubes cooking or not. If you do then, keep the 2/90/2 which is one of the best sounding power amps made ever. Otherwise, you're not using the tube amp's capabilities and the difference in tone would be minimal at low volumes. As a suggestion, if you are going to go SS, a Rocktron Velocity 120 is a good choice (I have one). Another suggestion, if you want tube but, wouldn't mind freeing up some cash, sell the VHT and get a Mesa 50/50.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

From what I understand, Cliff (the guy who developed the axe-fx) demoed it using used a VHT amp (possibly a 2/50/2, cannot remember). If you are going to use a cab, like mesa, bogner.... Just disable the cab sims in the global settings. But, just to let you know, there are a lot of people using that setup.

What I would like to know is what are the pro/cons from using a FRFR Setup like the Verve12ma/QSC122i loudspeakers vs Mesa/bogner cabs besides the obvious, dont use the cab sims.

-Nate
            Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
              What I would like to know is what are the pro/cons from using a FRFR Setup like the Verve12ma/QSC122i loudspeakers vs Mesa/bogner cabs besides the obvious, dont use the cab sims.
              That's easy. There was a thread about that on the Fractal boards just a few days ago.

Full Range vs. Flat Response.

In a nutshell, there are no cons to using an FRFR rig but if you choose to use a tube power amp and use guitar cabs, you're limiting your options. If you disable the cab and power amp sims in the Axe-FX, you're not making use of a large part of it's modeling capabilities. That said, some folks are fine with this but trying to make a Celestion loaded 4x12 sound like a Fender 212 open back ain't gonna happen.

Comment

Robert, check this guy out. He's using a 2/50/2
                Clams plenty here ..lol. I couldn't hear the backing track very well because I didn't want it to bleed through, so my timing was major messed up..sorry.Only...
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Volume isnt a problem, as i have my 2/90/2 on 1/2 power at 45 watts.
                  This allows me to have the channels turned up to 8.. and the Boss
                  GT10 tames the bedroom volume to "able to survive levels! :-))
                  I set my volume pedal to keep me from blowing out a window, if
                  depressed fully. I think its 0...to 12 at max

Thanks Bengal...this guy slays me with his near perfect Lynch tone!

AxeFx through a VHT 2/50/2 and Randall 2x12" and of course my Suhr Modern.This was at whisper volume. You can hear my pick hit the strings...sorry about tha...
                  Last edited by Robert Burns; 07-26-2009, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Can you program the Axefx just by the front buttons? Or do you have to
                    have a computer interface like in this vid? It is just like a Rack mount
                    Digitech 2101` right?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                      Can you program the Axefx just by the front buttons? Or do you have to have a computer interface like in this vid?
                      The Axe-FX is incredibly easy to program using the front panel. I've had mine for about a month and half now and I've never used the editor or felt a need to. The only thing I would want to use the editor for would be to make rearranging and managing presets faster.
                      Last edited by Matt_B; 07-26-2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7m0p...eature=related
                        This is a common misperception (one I had for a long time as well).

If you are not hitting the 2902 hard then you aren't getting anything out of it either. By taking the volume down with the GT-10 you are attenuating the input and therefore not getting any of the sweetness of the tube power section. All you are getting from the 2902 is it's basic color on the tone - you are not getting sag/overdrive/compression etc. That color is quite good so this isn't a bad way to run - but you really aren't getting the "feel" of a juiced power amp.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

If you are going to go into a traditional guitar cab I would use a solid state amp - they are lighter and have no maintenance.

FWIW, I'm selling all of my power amps and almost all of my guitar traditional cabs and heads - if that tells you anything.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7m0p...eature=related
                            That was the first axe fx clip that impressed me. I don't want to have gas for this it would be overkill for what I do.
                            "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                            Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                              If you are going to go into a traditional guitar cab I would use a solid state amp - they are lighter and have no maintenance.

FWIW, I'm selling all of my power amps and almost all of my guitar traditional cabs and heads - if that tells you anything.
                              If Tim is selling off his world class power amps...that says allot !!

Comment

Working...
                              X