No announcement yet.

My Splawn is READY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, I have been running essentially the exact same rig (in my case a Quick Rod thru a mesa recto 4x12) for a year. Live and in practice, it kills and really moves air. If you want to up the versitility of the amp, grab a MXR 10 band eq and throw it in the loop (I only use it for a death metal sound which is rare these days, but when you gotta, you gotta).
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

congrats. cool lookin amp.
      I've also just got a quickrod. And yes it seems that if you go through dealers, you'll get it quicker. I got it through a dealer last month. It only took something like 4 weeks (NOT 3-4 months) from the beginning to the end.

Comment

Though I never intended for the Splawn to replace my rack rig, I brought it to practice last night and holy hell did it hold up incredibly well. I am really digging this amp. Now only if Splawn would make a MIDI controllable preamp!

Comment

Hey Splawn owners, I just tried my Splawn in triode mode, and found it has a very noticable 60 hz hum in this mode, even when the volume is completely dialed down. Is this expected?

It works perfectly in Pentode mode, and I'm still totally enamored with its tone. Damn I love this amp, but would like it better if the Triode mode was usable.

Comment

check your power source. maybe you have a bad ground. my amp has no hum at all.

Comment

Tried a few other outlets but still get the hum. Interestingly today I fired it up in triode mode and it was dead silent, but only for about 5 minutes. Then the hum came back. I guess I should find a tech to look at it as it's probably cheaper & faster than mailing the heavy thing back to Splawn. Luckily it's perfectly fine in pentode mode so I guess there's no real rush.

Comment

I would think it may be a tube. I would try shuffling them around and see if it goes away. You can pull either the two outer or two inner power tubes and see if it goes away and then you may be able to narrow it down. Mine has a little hum but most tube amps do.

Comment

it's a 50 watter so I can't pull tubes... is it safe to try swapping them? The hum in triode mode is definitely not normal, even for a tube amp.

Comment

Congrats!! Someday I will have a Splawn.

Comment

Tomorrow I'm bringing the Splawn and my 3-TITE Jackson to a blues jam. Should get some interesting looks! (Everyone else that goes there uses the cliche Fender guitar / Fender combo... yawn)

Comment

I love gigging with my Quick Rod. When I first started showing up people would say "Splawn what?" and snickering. Once the night was over they were saying "wow".

I actually don't care greatly for the sound when playing by myself at home but in the band situation it counter balances everyone so well and cuts through like a knife.

Comment

I think it went pretty well and I thought it sounded awesome even though I may not have had it dialed in just right (first time using it live). One guy there had heard of Splawns and was really excited that I brought it.

Comment

Working...
                          X