ENGL Savage???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENGL Savage???

Ever since Bill turned me on to Primal Fear a while back I've been a huge fan of their guitar tones. I thought they had one of the best hot rodded "Marshall" sounds going...only I come to find out that most of their material was recorded with a Savage.

Fast forward to Saturday and I have the opportunity to play one for about 20 minutes. It wasn't enough time to really figure the thing out, but it belongs to a friend who was able to help me get at "the good stuff" pretty quickly. All I can say is that I was blown away by the tones I was getting...and I wasn't overly optimistic since I hated the Powerball when I played one (almost solid state sounding).

Cleans were stout but not particularly "pretty"...easily good enough for the clean work that I do with my metal band though. I have other amps that do the "sweet" clean thing, so this more muscular take on clean is actually kind of cool.

The crunch channels were great...everything from classic AC/DC to VH to 80's pushed Marshall sounds (Unchained and Lay it Down sounded brutal).

The lead channel was very "in your face" yet still flexable with the different voicings.

The overall tonality of this amp is just...different. It definitely lies in the Marshall camp but is much more aggressive without being harsh. It's not as warm as some other amps, but it still has a largeness to it that you really only get with tubes (or perhaps an Axe-Fx???). It really has its own thing going on IMO.

My question...anyone here have any experience with this amp? My buddy doesn't actively gig so I really can't get any feedback about its performance. I have heard whispers that ENGL amps are poorly built and not road worthy (cheap components, board mounted tube sockets, plastic shafted pots, etc), but it seems like a lot of great players are using them. Any thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I love Primal Fear! They rule man!
    I'm using an old 1985 Engl 620 tube preamp and I really like it. I havent heard the Savage in person, but my friend Scott has a Powerball and a Fireball as well as the E530 preamp. My other friend has the 670SE preamp and they all rip some shit up.
    I'm mainly a rack mount guy, but after hearing the Powerball head and how brutal and thick it sounds right out of the box, it made me reconsider for a second.
    They all gig on a weekly basis and I'd say they probably owned their amps for about 1-1/2 years now with no problems. I cant recall hearing anything about them not holding up.

I'm trying to get the tone from the 'Nuclear Fire' album myself. I think that's one of their best sounding and heavier albums.

edit: They were using Marshalls up until a few years ago, so you were partly correct.
    Last edited by metalchurch79; 08-04-2009, 08:46 AM.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I replied to your thread on rig talk\
      Love mine

Comment

The savage is marshaly sounding. Didnt know that. From the clips Ive heard it has a very sweet lead tone but rythem tones are way to heavey for me
        "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
        Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Savage is a nice open sounding amp. Dream Evil's Book of Heavy Metal was done mostly with a Savage 120. Loved it only sold it to get a Special Edition.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Very cool...thanks for the feedback. I'm doing a side by side next week with the Savage and an Invader 100.

Comment

Working...
            X