Tube Amps- Issues/Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Amps- Issues/Suggestions

I am in the market for a new amp! I am finally soon going to replace that POS (line 6 spider III) and step-up to a high-end tube amp I have read quite a bit on the web about tube-amps but I still have some questions for you tube-amp pros out there.

The main issue I am having with choosing an amp is biasing. I am mainly interested in Mesa/Boogie right now, because I hear they require no bias adjustment. I have read that other tube-amps must be biased pretty much every time you replace the tubes. Is this true or total bullshit? I am not interested in spending the extra cash for biasing an amp once or maybe even twice a year, so I would like to know more about the reality of that issue.

I like to play mainly metal, but I dab in blues and classic rock at times, and of course I like to do some acoustic-style intros for some metal songs. So which high-end tube amp would you prefer for versatality? I would love to buy a few amps for different styles, but for now and the next few years I am pretty sure I will only be able to afford one expensive amp like this, so I have to make this one count

Thanks in advance guys, I appreciate the help.
    My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Boggies don't need to be biased = true.

Caveat: you need to use their tubes. Can't say if that's good or bad, as that's all I've ever used.

Rectos are pretty versatile and relatively affordable. I also have a Bogner Alchemist, but I wouldn't call it a "metal" amp. Good for rock, but not teh brOOTalz. Terrific clean though.

Comment

Just go get a splawn. When you want new tubes you just tell splawn and he will send you a set that has the correct bias.
      "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
      Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

don't let biasing determine what type of tube amp you buy. Let tone determine that.

Comment

Want a really cool tube amp that bias' really easily? Randall RM50/RM100. They are 50/100 watt amps that are totally modular and hold 2/3 preamps respectively. Their bias points are on the back of the amp and so easy to do that you can put whatever power tubes you like and quickly bias away.

I currently have 2 RM100's. One with 6L6's that contain a Blackface, Top Boost and Recto mods. The other has E34L's with a JTM, SL+ and XTC.

Only minus - the amp is way too heavy, but you need a heavy amp for heavy metal...

Comment

hmm the RM100 looks pretty nice, not so sure if I like the whole module thing though. the sad part here is that there are no places around here(that I know of at least) that have any of the amps I am looking at other than Mesas. I can't really try out much
            My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivion99 View Post
              hmm the RM100 looks pretty nice, not so sure if I like the whole module thing though. the sad part here is that there are no places around here(that I know of at least) that have any of the amps I am looking at other than Mesas. I can't really try out much
              Motorcity Guitar in Waterford has tons of different stuff, as does Huber Breeze in Roseville. I highly recommend both (Motorcity also has five or six production Charvels in stock). If you want to check out a Randall, Guitar Center in Roseville has a used RM50 combo. The only problem is that it has the Blackface and Topboost modules installed in it, and they don't carry any... Joes Music in Eastpointe used to carry the modular Randalls, so they may still have some modules left over. As for Joe's, they mainly have Peavey's.

Comment

Are you constantly gigging, or pushing the amp to the limit night after night?

Some amps go for years, I mean even decades, of regular playing before the power tubes need replacing, even with regular use.
                OTOH, if you are diming it out every time you play it then I'd suggest something that doesn't cook a power tube quite so often.

There are a lot of myths surrounding the high gain Marshall/Mesa inspired amps.
                Yes-the power tubes color the tone and have an effect on what the distortion characteristic sounds like.
                Truth is they live an easier life overall than a cranked Fender style 20 to 50 watt amp that really rock the power tubes to get that distortion.

So your Bogner, Uber, whatever should not be eating power tubes all that often.
                Most of the gain comes from other places earlier in the chain.

For reliability and bang for the buck in the long run...there are plenty of tube amps still around from the 40's, 50's...60's.
                Just try to find some SS amps that are still working after 20 years. Not easy.
                Last edited by Cygnus X1; 08-08-2009, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Oh, and to answer the OP question.
                  Although I have not played one, the Soultone amps look like a great deal.
                  Check out the dealer's section.

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                    Motorcity Guitar in Waterford has tons of different stuff, as does Huber Breeze in Roseville. I highly recommend both (Motorcity also has five or six production Charvels in stock). If you want to check out a Randall, Guitar Center in Roseville has a used RM50 combo. The only problem is that it has the Blackface and Topboost modules installed in it, and they don't carry any... Joes Music in Eastpointe used to carry the modular Randalls, so they may still have some modules left over. As for Joe's, they mainly have Peavey's.
                    Hey thanks for the suggestions. I have been to motor city quite a few times and honestly when it comes to amps I haven't seen anything there that special. I have also been to Huber a couple times and come to think of it, they do have some things I would like to try, so I will be visiting there sometime soon, even though it is a bit of a drive hehe Thanks for the other suggestions so far as well.

Anyone have a good experience with the Mesa Road King/Roadster heads or combos? One of those is still probably my top choice as of now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                      Are you constantly gigging, or pushing the amp to the limit night after night?

Some amps go for years, I mean even decades, of regular playing before the power tubes need replacing, even with regular use.
                      As of now I am just a home player, so I am definately not playing very loud often (and I don't think I have ever played with volume all the way up haha). I would like something that can play a gig with if needed, but mainly this will be used at home, so maybe the tubes will last much longer than I thought. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivion99 View Post
                        Hey thanks for the suggestions. I have been to motor city quite a few times and honestly when it comes to amps I haven't seen anything there that special. I have also been to Huber a couple times and come to think of it, they do have some things I would like to try, so I will be visiting there sometime soon, even though it is a bit of a drive hehe Thanks for the other suggestions so far as well.

Anyone have a good experience with the Mesa Road King/Roadster heads or combos? One of those is still probably my top choice as of now.

I had a Roadster head. Nice cleans, not much else... It sounds like a Dual Rectifier (which I've also owned), except it is darker and the bass is a bit tighter. It still has the typical Recto sound. If you like that, go for it. To me, Roadsters sound kinda bland. In the long run, I liked my Dual much better. Of all Rectos, I'd say check out a Single Rec. The one I owned sounded great.

I'm surprised you say that... Motorcity has a ton of stuff. Soldano, Mesa, Peavey, Engl, Orange, Vox, Marshall, Fender, etc...

Everytime I go in there I find something new.

If you're not gigging or actively jamming, I would say pick up a Flextone, Vypyr or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                          Boggies don't need to be biased = true.

Caveat: you need to use their tubes. Can't say if that's good or bad, as that's all I've ever used.

This isn't entirely true. Many tube suppliers will stock non-Mesa brand tubes with Mesa specs. I did this many years ago with Lord Valve (he still around?).
                          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                            This isn't entirely true. Many tube suppliers will stock non-Mesa brand tubes with Mesa specs. I did this many years ago with Lord Valve (he still around?).
                            Cool! Good to know.

Threadjack -- (sorry...) I got my Single Rec second-hand, and I don't know if the tubes are correct for the amp. They are Mesa tubes, but they weren't original to the amp. If I call Mesa with the SN#, would they know what specs my tubes need to be?

Comment

Mesa/Boogie bias is non-adjustable. You buy Boogie tubes and they "just work." Using other brands of tubes voids your warranty.

However plenty of guys use Groove Tubes of a 4-6 rating and they work.

Also, not true that with other adjustable amps you have to re-bias with every tube change. If you buy some amp and a set of Groove Tubes of a particular number/rating and have it biased for these, you can replace them with the same rating Groove Tube again and again.

Where you need biasing with each replacement is with non-matched or non-rated tubes.

Comment

Working...
                              X