No announcement yet.

Tube Amps- Issues/Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest problem (psychological) I have with GT power tubes is that I don't really know what they are.
    They rebrand tubes.

I buy and gather a lot of NOS, buy new only rarely, and depend on the tube tester and actual bias measurements to make sure.
    But hey, if the GT's work, and sound good-no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
      Biggest problem (psychological) I have with GT power tubes is that I don't really know what they are.
      They rebrand tubes.

I buy and gather a lot of NOS, buy new only rarely, and depend on the tube tester and actual bias measurements to make sure.
      But hey, if the GT's work, and sound good-no problem.
      True but if you go to their site, they tell you in the description where the tubes are sourced from. I have a Duet of GT's in my Stiletto and they sound pretty good.

Comment

They are also manufacturing tubes now... Using the old GE equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          They are also manufacturing tubes now... Using the old GE equipment.
          Glad to hear it.
          Some of the most stable tubes I have used are GE.

Comment

I have a Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo and would absolutely recommend it.

Great dual rec sound, great sounding cleans and the tweed/brit modes in between sound very good too. So many different tones you can get from it for different types of music. Sort of sounds like what you are looking for.

Reverb copied over from the Lonestar is excellent as well, independent for each of the four channels.

Can switch from 50/100 watts, solo boost on the footswitch, etc.

Only downside is the weight of the thing, but it has wheels so you can push it around your house easily enough.

Lots of different options for you out there. If you can, test a roadster out.
            Jackson KV2
            Jackson KE1T
            Jackson KE1F
            Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              don't let biasing determine what type of tube amp you buy. Let tone determine that.
              couldnt' have said it better myself Whether or a not an amp needs biasing or not should not come into play...
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                couldnt' have said it better myself Whether or a not an amp needs biasing or not should not come into play...
                So thus comes the rub.
                It is all so subjective, some really don't like the Mesa model, others say it is the most versatile.
                Just like a guitar, even more...you have to play it in real world conditions to really know.

Comment

tone is going to be the main thing determining what I end up with, but for me being able to bias it myself or not having to bias it at all is a huge plus. I like to adjust/fix things myself when it comes to my gear if I possibly can, so although it won't make or break a purchase for me, it does matter at least a bit to me if I can safely switch tubes myself etc.

In the end if I can't bias the amp that gives me THE tone myself, screw it I will take it anyways, just a nice bonus for me if the amp I choose I can bias myself
                  My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Comment

Well since your playing at home maybe you should get an axe fx not a tube amp but many say it sounds like one and have sold all of their amps for it.
                    "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                    Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by toxikdeth View Post
                      Well since your playing at home maybe you should get an axe fx not a tube amp but many say it sounds like one and have sold all of their amps for it.
                      Sure, that's a whole other tangent though.
                      I love my tubes, and will tip the hat to what works where.

But it looks like even after 20 some years after the declaration that tubes are dead, they still are the path to great tone and flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                        Sure, that's a whole other tangent though.
                        I love my tubes, and will tip the hat to what works where.

But it looks like even after 20 some years after the declaration that tubes are dead, they still are the path to great tone and flexibility.
                        I love tubes too and do not think their dead just suggesting and it would be nice to have a tube amp if he started up a band
                        "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                        Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

You can also check out an Egnater Tourmaster 4100. It comes with external bias points (so it's a simply DIY with a digital multimeter) and is available at your local GC to try out. Also has adjustable wattage for each channel which can make playing at home more friendly volume-wise.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Bottom line, don't let the biasing issue be a determining factor.
                            There are tube gradings and numbered matches that make it easier on the tube amp user.

I'm a bit picky and like to take real measurements, just too many variables to trust to someone who doesn't know my particular amp.
                            Time is on my side.

Comment

Working...
                            X