POD opinions requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POD opinions requested

Hi everyone. Last weekend a friend of mine let me 'borrow' his POD 2.0. No cables were included, but he did have the users manual. This thing is really a fun little rig. Changing the different amp models to different speaker cabs and the effects has been enlightening. I have only really messed around with it for a few hours, but it still does not match the power I get out of my little VOX AC15VT and an MT-2. I had been looking at the GX and the UX1 for about a month mostly because they seemed like cool devices with a lot of expandability. POD Farm and some of the other items I've been reading about seem to be great utilities. I have been looking into recording recently, just for fun not professionally, and always love messing around with any new toys/features that are available. So, I guess the question is, which platform has the most utility and bang for the buck? I don't know how long I'll have the POD 2.0 and it goes for $200 new where as the GX and UX1 go for $100 and $150 respectively. For me to connect the 2.0 to my pc I need to buy an adapter cable for the midi slots, about $40. Any comments would be very welcome!

Sorry for the long post....
    Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Get the POD X3. USB into the computer. Also, it has a Metal Zone model built in, so you can get that... ahem... tone. Check out my clips in the MP3 section in the "blues" post - all recorded through the X3. Its low gain, but you get the idea.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

The problem with the computer based POD stuff is that you are tethered to the computer at all times. Want to pick up your guitar and rock out for 10 minutes? Well, gotta boot up the PC first, run the app, pick your presets and go. With the POD you turn it on and pick your preset and you are done. Also if you do get accustomed to using Gearbox and having all that freedom as far as pluggin in all the cool tape delay effects and such and think "Gee, I'd like to use that effect through my amp" then you have to also have to have the computer running in close proximity to the amp.

The sounds you get on both is pretty much the same so the determining factors are... If you only ever play near your computer or you want a computer recording interface get the GX/UX products. If you want plug n' go freedom or want to be able to easily use the POD effects in an amp loop, grab the POD. I have a toneport UX1 and now that I have an amp with a loop, I wish I had a POD. Actually, What I'm really looking at now is the Line 6 M13 Stompbox modeler for my amps loop.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

not true at all i have a pod xt pro you dont have to have the pc the usb is so you can update it and tweak your settings but you can tweak them from the xt too its just easier to do it from the pc

Comment

I had a POD 2.0 for about 6 months. That's about how long it took for me to explore it, get some acceptable tones, and then get bored with it.

If you're looking to do recording, then just use the line out from the Vox. In my opinion the Vox is a much better modeler than the POD.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by sean1197 View Post
            not true at all i have a pod xt pro you dont have to have the pc the usb is so you can update it and tweak your settings but you can tweak them from the xt too its just easier to do it from the pc

Did you see where he said "computer based POD stuff"? That means things like the GX, UX1, UX2, GuitarPort, etc., not the xt products. Hellbat is dead on, imo. I have a UX1 and I like it quite a bit for how simple it makes recording. The POD Farm software it comes with can also be used a a VST plugin with any recording program you want to use. It works with model packs just like all the other POD products (mine came with the FX Junkie pack included, and I already had the Metal Shop pack), but it is strictly for use with the computer.

Comment

I still get a lot of use out of a POD 2.0 and xt. I just bought all 5 model packs for the xt last night, so the clock is ticking if I'm going to keep these or not.

These are great for an apartment. I have a Vox VT15 but even this is too loud (boomy).

For the house I have the much hated DSL100 1/2 stack that I love.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I still get a lot of use out of a POD 2.0 and xt. I just bought all 5 model packs for the xt last night, so the clock is ticking if I'm going to keep these or not.
                You gotta go X3 - it comes with the model packs and you get dual amps and XLR input for mic, drum machine, whatever.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Gotta say I like the sound of my 2.0 (2.3 update) better than the XT I played around with recently. To me the sounds are just cleaner. I thought the XT was a little more digital sounding. But that's me... Never tried any of the others, just 2.0 and XT.

I have a built in soundcard (Echo MIA) that doesn't have the MIDI in/out so I had to buy a usb interface (got a Tascam US-122L) for the updates and to use Line6 Edit. Once I did, I loved it more!! You can do alot more tweaking/adjusting with the Line6 Edit, and also can put more effects in than what's on the POD knobs. Plus all the user made presets in the Customtone library on the website to mess with. It really does open up the ability of the POD. You can just get a M-audio Uno for about $25 that'll do all the hooking up you'll need to start off. IIRC, the XT and later POD's have the usb and you don't need any interface but like I said, I like the 2.0 sound better... This is all for "direct" recording. Haven't hooked it up to any amp and used the A.I.R. yet.

BTW - if you get a used one (less than $100) you can do a full reset to factory specs in about 4 seconds...
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                  X