Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soldano designed YAMAHA T50 or T100 amps????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano designed YAMAHA T50 or T100 amps????

has anyone ever owned or played one of these amps?? The concept really intrigues me. I have read that they are supposed to sound pretty similar to a SLO as the circuit design is similar. not exact, but similar. I am curious to know more about them. I understand there are a few mods some power choke thing and another that are popular. I am curious of what people have to say about them. I might consider looking for a used one next year some time. I cant afford one now as I have my splawn on order. the soldano SLO sound would be fun to toy with, but they are pricey amps even used. so the yamaha amps that soldano designed might be something fun to have in my amp line up.

what can you folks tell me about these units???
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

I had both. Can't compare it to the SLO as I've never owned one, but suffice to say from EVERYONE I've known that's had both, it is NOT a poor man's SLO. Both of mine were un-modded. I loved them - especially the 50 watter. Great 80-90 metal sound, and plenty gain. Not BrOOTalz metal, but great American metal - think modded Marshall with more tone shaping available. The on-board reverb was even usable! The clean was clean, and the overdrive did exactly that. It wasn't buzzy at all - a nice fluid sound, but about as far from a Mesa-type sound as you get. The closest I can compare it to beyond itself is a Soldano SP-77. I had one at the same time as I had these amps, and I sold the SP-77 since the tones were nearly the same to my ears.

Some people (Pete - Twisteramps) don't like them much, but for the life of me, I don't understand why. To each their own. Try to play one first - always a good idea.

Comment

Why you worrying about this you have a splawn on the way.
      "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
      Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by toxikdeth View Post
        Why you worrying about this you have a splawn on the way.
        I just like amps. I am not a "collector" but I enjoy owning cool amps that have individual character and sound great. I have always been aware of these Yamahas, and someday I want to own one.

What do they go for used?? I dont see any on ebay, so I have no idea of cost. anyone know what they are worth these days???

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
          I just like amps. I am not a "collector" but I enjoy owning cool amps that have individual character and sound great. I have always been aware of these Yamahas, and someday I want to own one.

What do they go for used?? I dont see any on ebay, so I have no idea of cost. anyone know what they are worth these days???
          One forum member told me you could snag one for five to six hundred
          Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

I played one once and really liked it. Best I remember it was really punchy sounding, which I like.

Comment

well, I realize its NOT a SLO, but 5 or 6 hundred is alot cheaper than $2 to 3 grand for a used SLO. dont SLO's go for over 3 grand new?? or are they more than that now?

Comment

There is one for sale near me. I've thought about picking it up. But don't really need another amp... But just for what it is, it's been tempting... Price is right as well, 3 bills
                Guys has had it listed for a few weeks. I'm surprised it hasn't sold. ( No, it's no mine, and I have no idea who the seller is :think: )
                Here are a few pics

Don

Comment

well, I realize its NOT a SLO, but 5 or 6 hundred is alot cheaper than $2 to 3 grand for a used SLO. dont SLO's go for over 3 grand new?? or are they more than that now?
                  yeah unmodded slo used is about two grand modded can go up to 4500
                  Jackson Shred

Comment

well, I realize its NOT a SLO, but 5 or 6 hundred is alot cheaper than $2 to 3 grand for a used SLO.
                    Don't draw the comparison. It isn't an SLO. Don't expect that it will step into that arena. You will be disappointed with those kinds of expectations. Don't get me wrong - it's a great amp, but the hype is exactly that - hype. It's a Yamaha, not a Soldano.

Enjoy your Splawn - don't worry about the Yamaha. You won't play it anyway.

Comment

We had a few of these back when i worked at music go round. Both had tranny issues. Not sure if it was the design or if it was abuse. But i did have a repair tech tell me that ehy were known for having issues with the transformer. They sounded great when they worked tho.
                      Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                        We had a few of these back when i worked at music go round. Both had tranny issues. Not sure if it was the design or if it was abuse. But i did have a repair tech tell me that ehy were known for having issues with the transformer. They sounded great when they worked tho.
                        Gil
                        Yea, I have read that the down side was they used some cheaper components on them.

Maybe I will just add a used SLO to my fleet in the future. I have always wanted to try one. I am really looking forward to my Splawn. I am not in a hurry to get a SLO, but someday it would be cool to have one. its about the journey, not the destination.

Comment

I played a few back in the early 90's and was less than impressed...there was simply nothing inspiring about the tones I was hearing. Sort of "dead/lifeless" sounding with little character is the only way I can describe them.
                          As others have stated, they sound NOTHING like an SLO (or any other Soldano amp that I've played).

Comment

The SLO intruiges me.

I have this splawn on the way now and I think I will start saving up pennies for a SLO as the next amp in the line up.

Comment

I have had the Yamahas and a few SLO's At the same time too. The SLO is a cifferent amp and shares marginally the same basic tone but that is where it ends. You get what u pay for...

I have a Splawn now and actually sold my last SLO when I got my Pro Mod but sold that for the Nitro modded with KT88's.

Not that the SLO was horrible. I owned two for a few years but I just got tired of the tone and wanted something else. Dryer tones were what I was seeking and the SPlawn fit the bill. The SLO is a great choice though and build quality is the best IMO.

Pricey but worth every penny and I think every serious guitarist owes it to themselves to play through one for a month or so. It is an amp that will really show you what you sound like and improve your chording, soloing and picking.

Comment

Working...
                              X