G n' R Lies - Slash - Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G n' R Lies - Slash - Jackson?

So I was listening to Guns n Roses Lies the other day, the "live" side, which I userstand was first released as the "Live $*&# Like a Suicide" EP and is actually not really live, but taken from demo tracks with crowd noise added in. So anyway, I was listening and I noticed that Slash did a lot of whammy work during his solos, which you don't really hear elsewhere. I've seen pics of him playing a black Jackson Firebird with a floyd, and I know he's specifically referred to that guitar as well.

Anyone know if that's the guitar you hear on those "live" tracks?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

I thought he used a red BC Rich Mockingbird with a tremolo (possibly floyd). I think on there Tokyo Live DVD he used the BCRich for "you could be mine". I also read slashs book and he isn't to keen on Jacksons. But, who knows? There's a video on youtube of "you could be mine" live in Tokyo where he plays the Mockingbird.
    Last edited by cornstar70; 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I don't think he had that mockingbird until the use your illusion tour - or at least until they did the you could be mine video.
      Blank yo!

Comment

I'm not too sure. That's just the only guitar i've ever seen him play with a locking trem. And I remember him saying that the Jackson he owned was one of the worst sounding guitars he'd ever played. Gibson probably payed him to say that though, haha.

Comment

No clue what he's used it on, but I also remember seeing pics of him with the Firebird.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

he had 2 jacksons back in the day a firebird and another. he had at least one mockingbird back then too along with a kahlered warlock. he's stated the jacksons & warlock were ok for playing live but recording he thought they sounded like crap. the red mock is floyded and he didnt get it till later. slash has a nice collection of OLD BCRich mockingbirds & a double neck bich, which is rarely used.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
              slash has a nice collection of OLD BCRich mockingbirds & a double neck bich, which is rarely used.
              Of course, because he's such a Joe Perry fanboy. I myself also want a 10 string Bich because of Joe Perry.
              Blank yo!

Comment

I remember a photo of something in the Appetite inside sleeve, I always thought it was a BC Rich Mockingbird, and have seen footage of him playing "You Could Be Mine" with what I thought was the same guitar. Just assumed that's what he used for ANY tremolo parts he played.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I remember reading a story many moons ago about the recording of "Appetite" where they talked about him having a Soloist back in the day. Something about clipping all the strings off at once and tweaking the neck and that was the last he used it.

Comment

Originally posted by tooslowhand View Post
                    I remember reading a story many moons ago about the recording of "Appetite" where they talked about him having a Soloist back in the day. Something about clipping all the strings off at once and tweaking the neck and that was the last he used it.
                    Yes - I remember that story - he said he or his tech cut the strings while it was tuned to concert pitch and it "destroyed" the neck.

I think its probably more likely he pawned it to buy some H.

So I know he's stated that he used a Jackson for the whammy parts on Appetite, but for the life of me, I don't remember any... anyone got some examples from that album?
                    Blank yo!

Comment

I never knew that wasn't really live.
                      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

so I remember hearing that most of Slash's early les pauls were acutally not gibsons and they were custom built jobs. any truth to that or is it BS?? when the money came later he bought real collectibles from the story I heard. but the early player ones were acta]ualy not gibsons
                        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                          so I remember hearing that most of Slash's early les pauls were acutally not gibsons and they were custom built jobs. any truth to that or is it BS?? when the money came later he bought real collectibles from the story I heard. but the early player ones were acta]ualy not gibsons
                          Yes the "Appetite" Les Paul was a copy made by Chris Derrig. It was a hand made, high quality replica of a 59 Les Paul, made at a time when new Gibson Les Pauls were shit.

It was not a Tokai, Ibanez, Burny or other POS.
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Actully Grover Jackson made him 2 Soloists for Appettite trying to woo him from Gibson's too.One of the wound up here in MN at Solid Body Guitars.A vintage dealer.I played that one once...What would he be like instead of Gibson he went with Jacksons? Would San Dimas Soloist go for $20000?
                            H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Bah. I highly doubt you could wreck a Jackson neck by clipping the strings like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X