TSO in Mpls Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSO in Mpls Today

Took my 11 and 8 year old daughters to see the "matinee" TSO show at the Target Center today.

This was my 11 year old's 5th TSO show, but my 8 year old's first.

Was a good show (as always). Not sure if it was because they had another show to do tonight, but they really kept the chatter between songs down to a minimum for the second half of the show. Which is a good thing. A lot less "horsing around" on stage, too.

They played about 5 songs off of the new Night Castle album, including my favorites selections from it. Big thumbs up!

I believe this was the West coast troop (I can never keep them straight). Angus Clark played quite a few different guitars. I can recall him playing a white Gibson V (hadn't seen him play that before), his white RR5, his white strat, a white SG, and a cherry SG. Al Pitrelli switched back and forth between a Les Paul and an Explorer the entire night.

Every year the visuals of the show get better and better. They announced that they will be doing a tour this spring in support of their new Night Castle album. I will definitely be going.

My 8 year old said it was "awesome" (her words). I think my 11 year old was a little bummed that it wasn't just her and I this year; she liked having it be something that just her and I did together. Being a parent is tough sometimes; I enjoy going to the shows so much with my older daughter that I wanted to share it with my younger daughter. Now, I may have alienated my eldest a bit. Argh.

Making the show a little more exciting today, I damn near choked to death on a Twizzler. I swallowed it wrong, and I had to have the lady sitting next to me smack me on the back until I was able to clear it. Scary.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

It's that time of year again! Although I am getting tired of the Cristmas show (way too much cheesy story between the songs) so I am really glad they are planning a spring tour!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'm going to see them tonight. I saw them for free last year because a buddy had a spare ticket. I got home and told my wife she needs to see them next time they come around. Which is tonight. Can't wait.
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

CHEW, swallow, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
          CHEW, swallow, repeat!
          WTF? :think:

Ah, I get it. The Twizzler incident. Yeah, I've been eating for 40+ years, you'd think I'd have it figured out by now...

- E.

Comment

They are playing in reno on the 27th, does anyone know if alex skolnick is still doing the west coast shows, i hope so.
            METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              It's that time of year again! Although I am getting tired of the Cristmas show (way too much cheesy story between the songs) so I am really glad they are planning a spring tour!
              Yes, I am growing quite weary of the Christmas show. Aside from a few highlights during that portion, most of it is something I endure to get to the second half of the show.

Worst case, you'd think they'd condense it down a bit.

- E.

Comment

and the moral of the story is dont eat twizzlers at rock shows.
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post

I believe this was the West coast troop (I can never keep them straight). Angus Clark played quite a few different guitars. I can recall him playing a white Gibson V (hadn't seen him play that before), his white RR5, his white strat, a white SG, and a cherry SG. Al Pitrelli switched back and forth between a Les Paul and an Explorer the entire night.

- E.
                  Did the strat have a Rose on it? If so, that guitar along with the "gibson" V is actually made by Atomic Guitar Works.
                  "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Originally posted by toddstaples View Post
                    Did the strat have a Rose on it? If so, that guitar along with the "gibson" V is actually made by Atomic Guitar Works.
                    I didn't recall seeing a rose on it; we were even with the sound desk, and I couldn't quite tell that level of detail. You may be right, though, because something about the V just didn't seem quite right to me. The horns looked a little pointier than a Gibson, and the headstock looked smaller than a Gibson. I'm no expert on Gibson Vs though, so I just assumed it was a Gibby since the tips weren't pointy and it had a 3 on a side headstock.

The Strat sure sounded like a Strat, whatever it was.

- E.

Comment

I did not see a rose on the Strat either. And I don't think the V was a Gibby but I could be wrong. Both those guitars sounded noticeably thin the way the sound was set up compared to Al's set up.
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Angus is a big proponent of strats. If I had to guess it would probably be his strat with David Gilmour EMGs. When I was in contact with him, he absolutely loved that guitar.

IMHO, the Atomic guitar with the rose on it is an abomination. That guitar should be a Charvel. (nothing against the Atomic Guitar company, just a HUGE Criss Oliva fan)

I honestly was pretty disappointed in Night Castle. You'd think after so many years they'd come up with a better offering than Savatage rip-offs and some weak vocally-indulgent songs. If they were going to do a Savatage song, they should have taken Mozart and Madness and worked it into a concept album, similar to Beethhoven's Last Night.
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

Night Castle has its bright spots and its weak spots. Some stuff I just can't get into, but some songs have inspired me enough to work them out on keyboards and guitar. Which ain't bad for an album I paid 3.99 for.

Which songs are the Savatage rip-offs?

- E.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                            Night Castle has its bright spots and its weak spots. Some stuff I just can't get into, but some songs have inspired me enough to work them out on keyboards and guitar. Which ain't bad for an album I paid 3.99 for.

Which songs are the Savatage rip-offs?

- E.
                            "Mozart and Memories" is "Mozart and Madness" on Dead Winter Dead
                            "The Mountain" is "Prelude to Madness" on Hall of the Mountain King (which was Criss Oliva's masterful rendition of "In The Hall of the Mountain King" by Edvard Grieg)
                            And the worst offender:
                            Believe

In listening, I also recall hearing other Savatage riffs, but I don't recall which songs.
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post

I honestly was pretty disappointed in Night Castle. You'd think after so many years they'd come up with a better offering than Savatage rip-offs and some weak vocally-indulgent songs. If they were going to do a Savatage song, they should have taken Mozart and Madness and worked it into a concept album, similar to Beethhoven's Last Night.
                              I Love almost everything TSO/ Savatage/Jon Oliva's PAIN does and i agree with you 100%..i was highly disappointed with the new album especially after how long they had to make it.. a couple of decent songs on it but that's about it.. "Beethoven's" was 10X better..There seem to be no "direction" to the album..just a bunch of random styled songs thrown together

Comment

Working...
                              X