Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the US get fucked out of the good Festivles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because the American metal scene sucks ass, although we do get way more tours than Europe does. For example, Warbringer came through NYC twice in the span of two months-unheard of in Europe.

Comment

The US gets screwed out of the good festivals, but the rest of the world gets screwed out of most of the good tours, so I´d say we´re even

Comment

I'd still like to see the entire Rocklahoma show one year.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
          The US gets screwed out of the good festivals, but the rest of the world gets screwed out of most of the good tours, so I´d say we´re even
          He has a good point, as much as I am looking forward to hopefully purchasing my sonisphere tickets after they announce more of the line-up, I would kill to see Machine Head tour alot more in the UK, I also want to see Bullet for My Valentine, who is a UK based band tour the UK, THEY SPEND TO MUCH TIME IN MAINLAND EUROPE AND THE US
          Gear

Jackson DXMG
          Jackson JS30RR
          Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
          Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
          Blackstar HT5H
          Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
          Marshall JCM 800 2203
          Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

It may not be a festival, but 1 tour I'm stoked about right now in the US is;

Five finger death punch, shadows fall, throwdown and 2cents

A solid evening of heavy guitar music, looking forward to the ATL show Jan 31st
            Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by SlaytanicDude View Post
              although we do get way more tours than Europe does. For example, Warbringer came through NYC twice in the span of two months-unheard of in Europe.
              NYC is bigger than my country, so that probably helps filling a venue
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Saw 2 cents a couple years ago, opening for GWAR & Priestess. They sucked. The crowd cheered loudly when the singer announced their last song. lmao
                |My CSG gallery|
                (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

I'd bet distance is a factor - the whole of the UK (for example) can easily and cheaply get to the UK Sonisphere (RIP download / Monsters of Rock) whereas the same can't apply in the US. They'd have to do that multiple times to cover the audience. And that means getting a whole bunch of bands to basically tour together which is way tougher than getting them to fly in, play a festival and fuck off again. Even if the bands bounce from one Sonisphere to another, there's only a few of them, not enough to cover the US...
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I think that's a great point. The pop. density + great rail transportation in Europe makes it perfect for those big festivals. There's something like 800M people in Western Europe, so getting a couple hundred thousand metalheads together is a piece of cake compared to doing that in the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                      NYC is bigger than my country, so that probably helps filling a venue
                      same story here, USA is as big as our whole continent.

as far as the tours go, there's a lot of 'em but they are different, mostly weirdly organized and disjointed... organizing a tour in the whole continent is a big hassle compared to doing them in one country.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                        Good point - Rush wouldn't tour over here for years because they didn't think it economically viable, yet when they eventually did they had to put on extra shows due to demand. Van Halen the same, doubt we'll see them over here again (last time 1993-ish? with Sammy).

Suppose they have a point, audiences can be fickle, went to see Heaven and Hell in Iommi's home town of Birmingham and part of the arena was blacked-out due to unsold seats.

W.A.S.P. never miss us out though, yet another brilliant gig a few weeks ago, Blackie just seems to get better and better (even if he didn't play the Jackson this time around)

Comment

I don't get to many concerts anymore but I honestly think here in AZ there's a pretty solid showing. I like some radio bands (I'm with Jayster.. FFDP, Shadows fall, etc. I'm going) and they're here quite a bit. The big older names (Slayer, Maiden, etc..) are here for a treat, normally at least one good one every year that I want to see. So I'm pretty satisfied.

I gotta ask what you mean by festivals? If you're talking about shows like the old Monsters of Rock and the like, I think it's the bands that fuck them up. Just my opinion but some of their egos are the problem. My opinion - You get paid a fucking TON to be idolized by some and entertain. Get on the fucking stage and play, then shut the fuck up, rinse and repeat... If the prices weren't so high, they'd fill up the shows and we'd probably get more/better shows.
                          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I think I'm going to Poland and/or Zurich.
                            You guys got steel panther, we get Metallica. Nice deal.

Comment

I am pissed off too.

I really wish Coachella had more metal bands.
                              I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
                              ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
                              Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
                              Blackstar Soloist HT60
                              Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
                              Seymour Duncan 805

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
                                Saw 2 cents a couple years ago, opening for GWAR & Priestess. They sucked. The crowd cheered loudly when the singer announced their last song. lmao
                                They got a lot better! (EDIT ~ 2 new members since then)

I went in expecting them to suck from your comment and was hanging at the bar. There stage presence was huge and they drew the crowd in quickly, the house mix kicked total ass(FOH). I'll post some pics and talk about gear tomorrow as I'm pretty tired and still half drunk now

(Double edit - feeling pretty lousy today, but will give a review and talk about gear with pics soon).
                                Last edited by Jayster; 02-01-2010, 04:00 PM.
                                Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Working...
                                X