Scorpions Announce Retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scorpions Announce Retirement

Scorps to retire, following March album release and a few years of touring, ha ha. Plenty of time to change their mind.

What a great band though, spanning several eras, with a huge presence in the kick ass 80s and some killer guitar songs.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Just bought Blackout and Animal Magnetism on CD last week. Had them on LP, youtube, but for $5.99 new "remastered b.s." I figured what the heck. Still like to get Love at First Sting on CD. It was one of the first three metal LP's I ever bought. First was Number of the Beast, and next was Balls to the Wall.

What great times those were.

Comment

I can't say I ever liked them, although I did try to get into them.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

They still put on a great show...

Comment

One of the greatest metal bands of all time. Think about it, they have been around as long as Deep Purple and Kiss, had tons of hits and great video's and what about Uli and Michael!
          Incredible band. I love them and will always be a HUGE FAN.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            One of the greatest metal bands of all time. Think about it, they have been around as long as Deep Purple and Kiss, had tons of hits and great video's and what about Uli and Michael!
            Incredible band. I love them and will always be a HUGE FAN.
            +1 !!
            Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Oh, man. I've been a fan of their 70s and early 80s stuff since I was a kid, but never got to see them live. I guess I'd better hurry now. No doubt they played a big role in metal history, being part of it almost since the beginning, and they probably didn't get their dues in some respects.
              Last edited by javert; 01-25-2010, 02:35 AM.

Comment

I saw Klaus get hit in the face with a 35mm camera at the Seattle Monsters of Rock show. They didn't return to the stage (I don't blame them) and I never saw them again.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  I saw Klaus get hit in the face with a 35mm camera at the Seattle Monsters of Rock show.
                  Why da hell would somebody throw their camera at him?
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Great group, great songs!
                    They'll Favre it.
                    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      Why da hell would somebody throw their camera at him?
                      I don't know. At the time in Seattle it was a "thing" to throw shoes at the stage while bands were performing. I never understood that. I guess a 35mm camera was the next step of escalation.
                      Last edited by Hellbat; 01-25-2010, 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Saw them in '88 at the Monsters of Rock show. The should have been the headliner, their show blew Van Hagar away.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                          Saw them in '88 at the Monsters of Rock show. The should have been the headliner, their show blew Van Hagar away.
                          +1

Comment

some great shroomy shit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nTGTCSGj30
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Amazing band and a singer who is arguably in the top 5 metal singers of all time category.

The 80's were a double-edged sword for them and for so many others- On one hand they got some major league airplay. On the other, anyone outside the metal fandom community hears "Scorpions" and probably thinks, "hair band" (even though Klaus uh...well, nevermind).

Unrelated but related comment- When Rush came out with "Snakes & Arrows", some knucklehead named Roger Friedman that used to write for Fox had a comment to make. Here's a quote from his media review of the album, which he did not listen to- He covered important stuff like Ashley Simpson:

"Rush is back. The big hair, fake falsetto heavy metal group that made the 1980s so irrelevant musically sold 84,000 copies for Atlantic Records last week with a new album called "Snakes & Arrows." Never underestimate the low standards of the buying public, I guess. Journey, Poison, shoulder pads and perms shouldn't be too far behind at this rate."

I remember when I read that I got furious, which is ridiculous because after all, who cares what he thinks? But that comment was weapons-grade stupid.

He was later fired for posting a review based off a pirated copy of Wolverine.

Whatever. You get the idea, though- Some people base their entire opinion of a band on one video they may have seen one time, many years ago...or maybe it was that other band. Who knows?

Comment

Working...
                              X