No announcement yet.

Scorpions Announce Retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the past couple albums have been really good, with some great songs. i hope they pass through my area again on this tour. would love to see them again before they are gone....
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
      Amazing band and a singer who is arguably in the top 5 metal singers of all time category.

The 80's were a double-edged sword for them and for so many others- On one hand they got some major league airplay. On the other, anyone outside the metal fandom community hears "Scorpions" and probably thinks, "hair band" (even though Klaus uh...well, nevermind).

Unrelated but related comment- When Rush came out with "Snakes & Arrows", some knucklehead named Roger Friedman that used to write for Fox had a comment to make. Here's a quote from his media review of the album, which he did not listen to- He covered important stuff like Ashley Simpson:

"Rush is back. The big hair, fake falsetto heavy metal group that made the 1980s so irrelevant musically sold 84,000 copies for Atlantic Records last week with a new album called "Snakes & Arrows." Never underestimate the low standards of the buying public, I guess. Journey, Poison, shoulder pads and perms shouldn't be too far behind at this rate."

I remember when I read that I got furious, which is ridiculous because after all, who cares what he thinks? But that comment was weapons-grade stupid.

He was later fired for posting a review based off a pirated copy of Wolverine.

Whatever. You get the idea, though- Some people base their entire opinion of a band on one video they may have seen one time, many years ago...or maybe it was that other band. Who knows?

Someone should have told him some of Rush' greatest work is from the 1970s and they have like over 15 platinum albums.

I can't even remember Neil Peart with big hair. Did that ever happen? I know Alex sort of had a flock-of-seagulls phase for awhile.
      Last edited by Larz; 01-25-2010, 07:23 PM.
      Jackson KV2
      Jackson KE1T
      Jackson KE1F
      Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
        Roger Friedman
        "Rush is back. The big hair, fake falsetto heavy metal group that made the 1980s so irrelevant musically sold 84,000 copies for Atlantic Records last week with a new album called "Snakes & Arrows." Never underestimate the low standards of the buying public, I guess. Journey, Poison, shoulder pads and perms shouldn't be too far behind at this rate."
        Pretty obvious that Friedman was Rupert Cunt Murdoch's little bitch. Atlantic belongs to Time Warner which Warner Bros. film company and many TV channels like CNN and HBO are huge competitors to News Corps' 20th century Fox and many Fox TV channels.
        Business as usual.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Why da hell would somebody throw their camera at him?

Probably because he was doing that stage move where holds the mic upside down the reverses his arm (elbow above his shoulder) to get the mic back to the right-side up position. I always thought that was a pretty goofy stage move...

Having said all that, the Scorps have had more staying power than I gave them credit for 25 years ago and they've definitely earned my respect. A great band no matter what kind of music they were playing.
          Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
          98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

I saw them in 2007. LOUD, unbelievable show, absolutely dead on everything, was about 15 feet back from MJ, amazing player. Will catch them if they come back for sure.
            "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
            Zakk Wylde

Comment

I saw them a few times in the early/mid 80's. So charismatic and powerful. Mathias and Rudy just cranking away. The scary thing...Both Klaus and Rudy are 61!!! I read that and just said holy fuck! One thing I didn't like about the AP article I read was them saying their best song is Winds of Change. What a bunch of bullshit. How about No One Like You; The Zoo (my fav); Blackout; Can't Live Without You; or Still Loving You. I'll be sorry to see them go, but they will be leaving a great legacy.
              Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Cool band, but retirement announcements are just lame, pretentious, money grabs.

Comment

Originally posted by wetrx95 View Post
                  I saw them a few times in the early/mid 80's. So charismatic and powerful. Mathias and Rudy just cranking away. The scary thing...Both Klaus and Rudy are 61!!! I read that and just said holy fuck! One thing I didn't like about the AP article I read was them saying their best song is Winds of Change. What a bunch of bullshit. How about No One Like You; The Zoo (my fav); Blackout; Can't Live Without You; or Still Loving You. I'll be sorry to see them go, but they will be leaving a great legacy.
                  The Zoo was my first exposure to them, way back then, still love that song.

I could see them making that statement about Winds of Change in the context of the social/political circumstances that it was tied to. It is the best selling single in the history of Germany. So while I have other favorites that are more metal, I wouldn't necessarily call it BS if they feel that way.
                  Jackson KV2
                  Jackson KE1T
                  Jackson KE1F
                  Jackson SL1

Comment

Glad I got to finally see them

I finally saw them within the last 5 years. Mathias was pissed the whole night. Griping about his guitar or sound to his tech off to the side of the stage. He was visibly throwing a fit but they continued to play well.

I was disappointed with COB's selection of Scorps "newer" cover on COB's cover CD. I would have expected Euro rockers to cover a classic from Blackout or earlier.

CD remasters - My fav Scorps will always be World Wide Live. The original album and tape were great but my re-CD lacks the same quailty and mixing. They also left out 6-String Sting on the CD.

I recently bought Rarebell's CD (with the hot blonde all over him) and downloaded Herman Ze German to replace my worn out tape. I like the style of the new CD and the remakes it included. Can't go wrong with the orig Herman Ze German. It will always be one of my favs from the 80's.

Comment

One of the best concerts I ever saw was the Scorps on the Love at First Sting tour. (...With a drunken young Bon Jovi opening for them. ) GREAT live show. Jabs just smokes and, IMHO, has one of the coolest and most classic heavy guitar tones out there.

Comment

Yep one of the most kick ass rock bands of all time. I just loved their guitar tone.
                        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I applaud them for wanting to go out on top. They have nothing to apologize for. If it's time, then it's time.

Animal Magnetism was one of the first hard rock albums I owned. Now, I tend to think that Virgin Killers is probably their best overall album--great from start to finish.

I'll definitely go see them live if they come to my area on this tour.

Comment

I just did a interview with Rudolf Schenker for Classic Rock revisited check it out if you get a chance!

or

Official site of record label Elektra Music Group: Elektra Records, Fueled By Ramen, Roadrunner, Low Country Sound, Black Cement, Public Consumption, DTA Records

I can't wait to see them!

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                              One of the best concerts I ever saw was the Scorps on the Love at First Sting tour. (...With a drunken young Bon Jovi opening for them. ) GREAT live show. Jabs just smokes and, IMHO, has one of the coolest and most classic heavy guitar tones out there.
                              +1

I've seen them any times over the years, in fact I think I've seen them more than any other band, and they always put on a storming live show. Last time (supporting Priest) I was right in front of Matthias Jabs and was completely blown away - his use of harmonics and feedback was second to none, and his guitar playing was just sooooo tasteful. He doesn't get mentioned much, but for me he's always been one of the greats, up there with Schenker, Blackmore etc.

Sadly, many of the bands we grew up must now be in or approaching their 60s, so will be retiring oveer the next few years. Isn't Sammy Hagar 63 or something?

Funny though, my band were talking about this earlier in the week, we can't wait to retire so we can get out on the road more

Comment

Originally posted by darrellm View Post
                                Sadly, many of the bands we grew up must now be in or approaching their 60s, so will be retiring oveer the next few years. Isn't Sammy Hagar 63 or something?
                                Hagar BornOctober 13, 1947 (age 62)

Thank you come again!
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X