Randy Quiet Riot years etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy Quiet Riot years etc

Alright there are people here who have a far better knowledge of the topic then I do so I want to ask some questions.

01) Apparently Kevin had a hard time (and had to make a hard sell) to get Delores to permit QR to release the stuff with Randy on it. I've heard all sorts of reason (one person I remember actually said it's because Delores didn't want people to know he way gay.. that one confuses me because A) how the hell would that have anything to do with them not releasing audio and B) in this day and age honestly who'd care if he was.) but all that aside

Question 1. Anyone know why Delores seemed to not want any of the QR stuff released? And how much more do you think is sitting in a basement somewhere rotting away?

Question 2. I heard that the video of Randy with QR at the Whiskey was a reunion type gig randy played with them during down time from Ozzy - Any truth to this?

Question 3. Okey I don't know how much fact or bullshit this is - I was told that the Pantara Song "I'm Broken" was about Randy and Delores and if I remember correctly Mothers or some word in the lyric sheet "Venereal Mother embrace the loss" had dollar signs for s's on Loss (lo$$) I was just curious if this was some how a knock at Delores Rhoads?

Reading the lyrics I can't really tell. I don't know. I can see where someone would think it was a knock at Delores with the whole Inherit my life and with the dollar signs as if money made it ok.. I dunno. Anyone else know anything more about this?

I know a couple of these questions paint Delores in ill light, not the intention I am just curious to what level of truth i have heard on the subject. As far as the Pantara song I'd just guess it they said "Hey you're mom is awesome I'M BROKEN" it wouldn't have worked so. dunno
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

I had to look up the term Venereal and uh.. I'm not sure how this would be about Delories.. Did anyone else ever hear that rumor? Now that I really pay attention i'm not sure how it could be about those two

Comment

If there was any reason why Delores didn't want the QR stuff released, I am guessing it is because those songs sucked.

The "QR - The Randy Rhaods Years" songs were heavily edited, with Kevin writing new lyrics and resinging some of the vocals. Some of the guitar tracks were reamped and remixed, etc. But really, the songwriting was very subpar. I had read that Delores wasn't all that impressed with the material, even when Randy was alive.

Randy and Ozzy were a perfect mix; Ozzy's lyrics were great, and likely inspired Randy's writing. The lyrics on the QR stuff were abysmal (see if you can find the original lyrics to "Last Call for Rock and Roll", which was called "Mama's Little Angels", I believe. Ugh.

- E.
      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Here they are; would these inspire you to write your best material?

When mommy's around we're the cutest little darlings, polite...
        We're squeaky clean
        We do the chores in the house, as quiet as a mouse
        Better kids you've never seen
        Yes we are mama's little angels
        You know we are mama's little angels
        As soon as mom leaves for work
        Out come the paint cans, start to spray it on the wall
        That's getting boring
        Go get the bats
        Gonna have us some indoor ball
        Well, Randy's up to bat.
        Gonna hit me a home run
        Sorry 'bout that
        Outside, ball one
        We lost our ball, let's have some fun with the dishes
        Oops, we ain't doin' too well
        When mommy gets home, she won't blame it on us
        She knows that we're really swell

- E.
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

The only link I know of I'm Broken to Randy was in a guitar mag interview where Dime said he did the solo in a very Randy-inspired way, and I agree with that. Not sure if he triple-tracked it RR-style though.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I thought Killer Girls was a kick ass QR song at the time and was a few years ahead of its time when lyrics like that were all over the metal scene.

I bought those Japan released cassettes back in the 80s just to see what Randy's playing was like.

No idea on the Delores stuff though except the theory she didn't want all these record execs capitalizing off her son's tragic death.
            Jackson KV2
            Jackson KE1T
            Jackson KE1F
            Jackson SL1

Comment

Kevin had a ton more that he wanted to release, Mrs Rhoads was hesitant to approve of it b/c Randy didn't really want it released.

As mentioned, Kevin really reworked what you hear on that with the exception of one song that he didn't have the master to (I forget the song, but it's mentioned in the liner notes). The drums were redone, the guitars were redone/spliced/edited, everything was resung, new lyrics were written.

There was a Riot reunion show while Randy was in town from tour, yes.

It's nice to have, tho.

Sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Cool thanks guys.

Comment

I know I have the QR vinyl of the one where they are in a football locker room on the cover. The pose Randy strikes for the photo could cause one to wonder if he were gay. NOT that it would matter to me one way or the other. It was his playing with Ozzy that made me buy the QR album back in the 80's.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Randy was an amazing talent and is by far my favorite guitar player, but I think Bob Daisley had a HUGE impact on those early Ozzy songs. Without his influence, I doubt the ideas Randy brought to the table would've turned into the great songs they ended up being. Also, Ozzy didn't write the lyrics for the first two albums, Bob Daisley did.

As far as the first two Quiet Riot albums, they weren't released because as stated above the songs were extremely weak. Randy's solos were great as usual however.

Was Randy gay? I dont' know, but to be honest, I've always wondered that as well. Maybe he was just a bit on the effiminate side or cultivated a feminine image, especially in the QR days.

Comment

Mrs Rhoads was hesitant to approve of it b/c Randy didn't really want it released.
                      +1 . Randy didn't want anyone to listen to it. I am a huge randy fan, and I have lots of that stuff on bootlegs and I don't listen to it.(doesn't help that it's mostly on LP and I don't have a turntable hooked up).
                      What's worth listening to, to me is Blizzard, tribute, diary, live mr crowley, and if you can find a copy looking at you looking at me, and the B side(not sure of the right title).

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                        +1 . Randy didn't want anyone to listen to it. I am a huge randy fan, and I have lots of that stuff on bootlegs and I don't listen to it.(doesn't help that it's mostly on LP and I don't have a turntable hooked up).
                        What's worth listening to, to me is Blizzard, tribute, diary, live mr crowley, and if you can find a copy looking at you looking at me, and the B side(not sure of the right title).
                        That song is called You Said it All. I found that Mr. Crowley live release on tape at one of the old chain record stores in '83. When I popped it in a tape deck and heard the guitar, I knew it was Randy. I wore that thing out.

Comment

There's really no point in speculating on Randy's sexual preferences.

The guy was a Guitar God and the reason there's a "J" in the JCF.

End of story.
                          Jackson KV2
                          Jackson KE1T
                          Jackson KE1F
                          Jackson SL1

Comment

That song is called You Said it All. I found that Mr. Crowley live release on tape at one of the old chain record stores in '83. When I popped it in a tape deck and heard the guitar, I knew it was Randy. I wore that thing out.
                            no, not the b side of live mr crowley there is a song the b side?? something.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                              no, not the b side of live mr crowley there is a song the b side?? something.
                              The Mr. Crowley live EP has Mr. Crowley (live), Suicide Solution (live), and You Said it All. The live tracks are from the '80 UK tour.

If you've never heard the full show bootlegs from that UK tour, you're missing out. Randy was on fire! It sounded like he took alot of chances and was just flat out playing his ass off.

Comment

Working...
                              X