saw Megadeth last week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saw Megadeth last week

Ok, my friend and I trekked out to Scranton, PA for the Megadeth show last week. Luckily the setlist is posted here:
    Where Metal Lives! Breaking news, reviews, interviews, audio, and videos... Your hub for metal music.

The pic from the above site showed the RIP stage setup, even the drum riser from way back when!
    Basically the show was the RIP CD played with a few songs as bookends. Skin O my Teeth was a weird opener, I must say.

The RIP set was great. It was great to see junior back in the band. We all know Chris B. is great a guitarist and he played all the notes of the solos right…just something was lacking to me…his playing was too slick. I am in camp Marty which skews my judgement, but I think I preferred the Drover dude from before. BTW, Drover was playing the set before in Testament, filling in for Skolnick. That must be a bit awkward backstage! Anyway, Deth only played one song from the new cd, so maybe I’d be more impressed if chris was playing more his original solos and less copying of others. I guess their next tour with Slayer will have more new tunes...not that I'm complaining!

Overall, they played great. The one song lacking from the set was Wake up dead! There are a few songs they played I’d gladly exchanged for ‘dead.

The very end was weird. After finishing Peace sells as there last song, they reprised the end of Holy Wars, with Mustaine playing his last solo break…just like he did when they played in the hour before. Then, changed tempos while he introduce the band then finished the song off. I know Holy wars was their closing song for a while, so I guess they kinda shoehorned this in there. Cool, but weird.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Saw them in medford, OR on the 3rd it was good.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
      Ok, my friend and I trekked out to Scranton, PA for the Megadeth show last week. Luckily the setlist is posted here:
      Where Metal Lives! Breaking news, reviews, interviews, audio, and videos... Your hub for metal music.

The pic from the above site showed the RIP stage setup, even the drum riser from way back when!
      Basically the show was the RIP CD played with a few songs as bookends. Skin O my Teeth was a weird opener, I must say.

The RIP set was great. It was great to see junior back in the band. We all know Chris B. is great a guitarist and he played all the notes of the solos right…just something was lacking to me…his playing was too slick. I am in camp Marty which skews my judgement, but I think I preferred the Drover dude from before. BTW, Drover was playing the set before in Testament, filling in for Skolnick. That must be a bit awkward backstage! Anyway, Deth only played one song from the new cd, so maybe I’d be more impressed if chris was playing more his original solos and less copying of others. I guess their next tour with Slayer will have more new tunes...not that I'm complaining!

Overall, they played great. The one song lacking from the set was Wake up dead! There are a few songs they played I’d gladly exchanged for ‘dead.

The very end was weird. After finishing Peace sells as there last song, they reprised the end of Holy Wars, with Mustaine playing his last solo break…just like he did when they played in the hour before. Then, changed tempos while he introduce the band then finished the song off. I know Holy wars was their closing song for a while, so I guess they kinda shoehorned this in there. Cool, but weird.
      Thanks for the reveiw, I am seeing them Thursday in Houston, I see Testament is playing the Legacy album so thats cool; but no DNR? that stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by fordsho90 View Post
        Thanks for the reveiw, I am seeing them Thursday in Houston, I see Testament is playing the Legacy album so thats cool; but no DNR? that stinks.
        We got to the show late and only saw the last 2 or 3 songs from testament. Oh well. Chuck sounded great!

BTW, I just read this interview with Ellefson. Turns out they are using the EXACT stage set from the RIP tour!

BTW, I didn't recognize most of the basses he used, so they might have been Peavey, except for Peace sells, where he had what looked to be BC Rich Mockingbird.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

yeah they are still awesome
          i saw MegadetH in Fargo ND
          like a couple months ago..

met dave after the concert talked a little about jackson guitars..
          he gave me his wrist band he wore. (the long megadeth one)...
          and signed a cd for me...

i will cherish that night forever..
          that man seems really smart when you have a conversation with him..

and his new guitarist f'n ripps
          even though he plays ibanez's .....j/k

Comment

Working...
          X