Reb beach bagging on hammet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was Reb
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Originally posted by sevser View Post
      Actually...it doesn't...paint strokes are not measured in miliseconds, cents or intervals.
      You're crossing a line between skill (objective) and art (subjective) when you start talking about "ears", "taste", dissonance, and using phrases like "tasty cool ways" referring to Dime.

I'm not saying you're wrong, skill is skill, it's not a subjective thing. How fast and accurately you can pick and/or fret notes and other things. But the second you get to the application of the skill producing something that "sounds good" well, you're forgetting that music is "theory" not "law" and that, too, is subjective.

Comment

• Let's talk about skill, if Matisse would be alive, he would drink a bottle of brandy, put a paint brush in his ass and nail anything I'd do to the T in a few minutes.
        I on the other hand, not to mention pro painters, couldn't hold a candle to him. If I would practice real real hard I somewhat would copy his stuff on the basis but if you look close it would be totally different. His paint strokes express emotions on another dimension. I could never do something like that. It's like he has the ultimate tone and feel if he'd play on a guitar. Now that is a skill.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Originally posted by Tricky View Post
          I would add Neal Schon to that list.
          Agreed. Neal is a very tasteful player. I also forgot about Rick Neilson of Cheap Trick.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
            It's like he has the ultimate tone and feel if he'd play on a guitar. Now that is a skill.
            Neal Young has the ultimate skill of being able to play all the wrong notes, one at a time, with really bad tone and making it sound really terrible at the same time.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              Neal Young has the ultimate skill of being able to play all the wrong notes, one at a time, with really bad tone and making it sound really terrible at the same time.
              Neal Young might be all of the above, but Neil Young is a fucking genius, though most likely not recognized as such on JCF.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtyroadie View Post
                Neal Young might be all of the above, but Neil Young is a fucking genius, though most likely not recognized as such on JCF.
                Certainly not by me. I hate the man, his politics and his music.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

• Neil Young is a horrible guitar player but "Dead Man" has one of the greatest soundtracks ever made, it fits in the film beyond perfectly.

Comment

• This is funny....when we did this interview I told my side kicks in Decades of Distortion it would be a big topic. It was cool that Reb got a stab back @ Metallica! We have been doing the show for about 3 months & have already made the National AP lists 3 times with our interviews. We have some great interviews on the DOD website & more to come. [URL="http://www.decadesofdistortion.com"]www.decadesofdistortion.com

Enjoy guys!!!

Comment

• Hamster is trying to fill Dave Mustaine's shoes & he is no where close to Dave.
                      Reb is 100 times the player & has been in bands like Whitesnake, Dokken, Alice Cooper & many, many more......Hamster can hardly play the songs he had a part in writing, a little lone play songs written by some of rock's greatest guitar plays. Reb has filled some pretty big shoes & CAN sit in with any band he wants to! Hamster isn't the guitar player in Metallica.....IT IS in fact James that lays down the riffs!

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                      Hammett is leaps and bounds ahead of Beach. Not only in playing ability, but by being in a band that has endured 3 decades and keeps getting better. Not to mention, Hammett's choice of guitars is always a one up on Beach. The only solo I liked Beach do was "17" and that was just wanking off really fast, that's all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                        Neil Young is a horrible guitar player but "Dead Man" has one of the greatest soundtracks ever made, it fits in the film beyond perfectly.
                        true! That is a brilliant soundtrack
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

• How did we get to Neil Young?

I know, politically incorrect...but I learned LONG ago not to hold politics against actors or musicians.
                          NY sucks in his own unique way.

As far as Reb and Kirk, hell they both beat the hell outta me so I just go with what I like.
                          I'll take any Metallica over any Winger any day.
                          Sometimes the guitar-ism doesn't really matter when the tune
                          doesn't get my foot tappin' and fingers snappin'.

Comment

• I love every note Neil Young plays or sings. He is genius

Comment

• Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                              I love every note Neil Young plays or sings. He is genius
                              I am not much of a Neil Young fan, and I don't like his voice that much, I think he kinda sounds like a muppet.

However... Southern Man, The Needle And The Damage Done, Cinnamon Girl... At least those, I don't see how you can not like them. Great songs. :dunno:

Comment

• Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                                I know, politically incorrect...but I learned LONG ago not to hold politics against actors or musicians.
                                yeah, otherwise you wouldn't have much good music to listen to

Comment

Working...
                                X