Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Four

If its already posted, sorry
    "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

cool, but are any of the "big four" still any good? i left them YEARS ago for metal that was fresher, newer and better than what they ever did....
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

that trailer gives you a good idea which band is the $$$,
      Metallica sounds five times bigger and lively than the rest of them with their overproduced in-the-can sound.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Of the big four, I'd say that Megadeth is the only enjoyable one today. Metallica lost its edge, Slayer is a parody of itself, and Anthrax never takes itself seriously.
        Scott

Comment

Metallica puts on a fantastic show.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Anthrax is really weak compared to the rest of the Big 4, they are good, but what was so special about their music when compared to like Exodus and Testament, far better bands? I'll still go to see this show, Slayer and Megadeth are still very enjoyable and Metallica now is much better than they were a few years ago.

Comment

That's why I've always said Anthrax, if 4th, was a distant 4th.
              Blank yo!

Comment

Anthrax are pretty awesome. I think the big four label really goes on commercial success more than actually "thrashy"-ness. You guys can't deny that Anthrax's guitar work didn't do something for metal.

I never understood Slayer over other bands though. They never really were commercially successful, and their music, while heavy and thrashy, holds no retaining value to me.
                I like EL34s.

Comment

They have like 4 gold albums I think, more than Anthrax. Not to mention Christ Illusion debuted at what, #5 and World Painted Blood #12? And while they may not be very influential to you, pretty much every death metal band and the new thrash bands will disagree.

Comment

Meh, it lets me relive my youth, the 'Back in the Day' type thing. I'd like to see Iron Maiden on the bill though.
                    "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Originally posted by SlaytanicDude View Post
                      They have like 4 gold albums I think, more than Anthrax. Not to mention Christ Illusion debuted at what, #5 and World Painted Blood #12? And while they may not be very influential to you, pretty much every death metal band and the new thrash bands will disagree.
                      With a nick like yours, you aren't exactly non-biased there, eh?

J/K I'm a Slayer fan also.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Slayer changed the world of metal when Reign In Blood came out. That album just battered you over the head nonstop! As for Anthrax, Scott Ian is just awesome and has a great right hand. Still, these days I'd rather see Slayer and Megadeth over Metallica and Anthrax.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I never said I didn't find them influential, I simply said that the music holds no retaining value.

Don't get me wrong, I love Slayer, but the spot on the big four isn't jsutified over Exodus or Testament to me.

I don't exactly agree with Anthrax being there either.
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                            I never said I didn't find them influential, I simply said that the music holds no retaining value.

Don't get me wrong, I love Slayer, but the spot on the big four isn't jsutified over Exodus or Testament to me.

I don't exactly agree with Anthrax being there either.
                            Ah, sorry for misreading that. But if Slayer was a big influence on the death metal genre (and black metal too in some cases), don't you think they deserve a spot on the Big 4? And if something has a big influence, it has to have some retaining value, at least to everybody else :P

If we go by the sales records, Slayer definitely should have a spot up there. Not saying though that the other dudes aren't top stuff, but the Big 4 were definitely top of the heap in some way, Scott Ian does have a good right hand and at one point they could actually put together a band and keep it together.

Comment

If anything out of those four, Anthrax was probably the least successful mostly because as a band, they had the least direction, and continue to have the least direction - their "thrash" albums were classic for having different sounds, ideas and levels of seriousness - Among the Living is disjointed - even songs on the album are disjointed. There's a definate lack of cohesion.

The Sound of White Noise was their most sucessfull albums because it was a straight up metal album. Before and since, they've kind of flopped around between thrash, hard core, rap metal, goof metal and dweebcore - and I like Anthrax.

Say what you will about St. Anger - that album had a cohesive theme and style... just not a great one.
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X