No announcement yet.

Criss Oliva - tone and gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, thanks this is super stuff to digest. Now I just need the funds for the amp. Ouch.
    Charvel 475 Deluxe - Lefty
    Hamer Explorer - Lefty
    Black Limba Superstrat - Lefty
    Digitech GSP-21 Legend
    Marshall 8080

Comment

Originally posted by mrhiwatt View Post
      Here is the website for his rig http://www.savintage.com/criss/gear.htm

MrHiwatt
      Being the die hard Oliva fan that I am, I can say that I've seen that website more than enough times. It turned me on to steel picks and I've never looked back! However, I find that Oliva's tone is sometimes over-analyzed a bit. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love his tone, but I don't think you need to go in search of his exact gear to nail his sound. I have no problem getting his tone (especially Sirens era) with a stock Jackson through a Bad Monkey and a DSL401.

The one album I can't quite get the right sound to is Edge of Thorns. But then again, that was his Laney days. So maybe a AOR might not be a bad investment. I know I would buy one if the price was right.
      Last edited by itchy; 06-25-2010, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by itchy View Post
        I don't think you need to go in search of his exact gear to nail his sound. I have no problem getting his tone (especially Sirens era) with a stock Jackson through a Bad Monkey and a DSL401.

The one album I can't quite get the right sound to is Edge of Thorns. But then again, that was his Laney days. So maybe a AOR might not be a bad investment. I know I would buy one if the price was right.
        I agree. I have the Laneys but prefer the DSL100. The Laneys are like a JCM800 and need a boost to get the tone right, and I'm lazy about using pedals. I just like plugging straight into a head, and the DSL100 delivers for me.

Comment

Originally posted by K.Dee View Post
          Well DSL can get real edgy,its a good amp but way to contemporary sounding for nailing true Hall of the Mountain King tones imho.

I'd say if you cant find an AOR series 1 go for a GH50L Laney which is a great amp and pair it with Celestion G12-T 75 speakers.
          They sound pretty similar to old AORs minus the EQ push pull boost.

As for chorus i'm pretty sure he was using a Boss CE-2,it was a standard back then.I advice you to get a BBE Sonic maximizer too,they can be very helpfull with old school amps and speakers.

Thats my beloved 30W '87 AOR combo
          See, my DSL100 is smooth. The key is breaking in the speakers. I've had it since 1998, and didn't like it as much the first 5-8 years I owned it because the speakers were too harsh. or the tubes were too new, who knows. Now, it's nice a smooth and crinchy, and it's the only thing I use.

Hang on to that AOR 30. Those are special. I have two AOR 50's (one a combo), but I still remember trying out an AOR 30 back on Hollywood blvd. in 1987. It was a tone I loved and always remembered, just like the Silver Jubilee.

Also, the AOR 50 combo is a BACK KILLER. Wish mine was a 30.

Comment

I hear you about the speakers,you got a point here.
            I had the same problem with my 5150II.

I really want an AOR 50W 8 knobber head but those are pretty rare these days..

Yeah the 30W is a great amp,its a bit different than his bigger brothers because it uses 2 6v6s.
            I have it since '01,its a workhorse and its got a great late 80's,early 90's hard rock tone with a suprising big bottom end for such a small cab.

Before the AOR i had a JCM 800 50W 2205,you know the one with the clipping,well the AOR kills this Marshall anytime of the day..Those old Laneys are like a secret treasure.
            Last edited by K.Dee; 06-26-2010, 03:23 PM.
            Addicted to that Rush..

Comment

Working...
            X