Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just saw the "Big Three" Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer in Knoxville

Hey guys,
    I just went to the big three concert in Knoxville. It was at the Civic Colliseum, which was the last place Randy Rhoads ever played. They played a Randy song in between each band change over which I though was cool.

Anyway, Anthrax ruled the show IMO! They just stomped! It was my first time seeing Anthrax. Scott Ian was using his new Jacksons which looked really cool. I don't know what amps they were using but their tone was the best of the night. Joey's vocals really impressed me! He was top notch and right on the money. They are one of the tightest bands I've ever saw live!

Megadeth was good but not as good as when I saw them earlier this year. Mainly because I think Dave's voice is shot from all the touring and their guitars sounded really woofy. I know their using the AxeFx units now but it sounded like they were running through a POD with the speaker simulators turned on because their tone didn't have any definition. That wasn't the case when I saw them earlier this year in Asheville. They were still really good though and there was a surprise visit from "Vic" which I thought was really cool! I wasn't expecting that at all. Plus Mustaine now has a double neck Dean V that he uses in Trust which I thought was cool. I think they played the longest.

Slayer came out last and mind you I'm not a Slayer fan and only stayed because one of my buddies wanted to see them. With that said, they are one of the worst bands I've ever saw live. The only other band I disliked more was when I saw Dillenger Escape Plan. Needless to say I spent alot of time in the bathroom and looking at the merch booth. I tried toughing it out with and without earplugs but their overall sound was just horrible, they were out of tune and just made alot of noise. That is of course my opinion though.

Anthrax just REALLY impressed me and I'm glad I finally got to see them live. Spitz is the only original member that is missing but they guy they have playing in his spot was smoking!

Good to hear Anthrax are finally doing something right, they're my favourite of those three bands.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
      Spitz is the only original member that is missing but they guy they have playing in his spot was smoking!
      Joey is not the original vocalist, Neil Turbin was. And Dan Lilker was the original bass player.
      Glad they still put on a good show, though!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Man, this is like the 3rd review that stated Slayer was less than good. What's goin on w them? I'm plannin on seeing this show next wkend.

This will be the 1st time my friend will see Anthrax. I'm always bustin his balls cos he missed the original Clash of the titans tour for no good reason while I went with a few others.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I'd like to know your thoughts on Slayer after you see them. I've never been a fan but that was mainly because I don't care for that type of vocals or their message. I thought that I could sit through it though and might even enjoy the music if the mix was good but I just don't have anything good to say about their set. It could just be me though cause like I said, I'm not a fan of theirs.

Comment

I saw them a few weeks ago in San Francisco. Slayer was incredible. Sounded really good. Araya talked to the crowd once, after the 3rd song. Then they just assaulted us with metal. Their guitar tones were never all that good at any point in their career but Lombardo...Jeeeeeebus!!! I brought a friend who's not really a metalhead but a pretty school jazz musician. He was floored by Lombardo. Slayer is the ACDC of thrash. You know what you're gonna get and it can get monotonous because every song is like 2.5-3 mins and they play 10,000 songs.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
              Man, this is like the 3rd review that stated Slayer was less than good. What's goin on w them? I'm plannin on seeing this show next wkend.
              Where you seeing them?

Also - when I saw them at the Izod in NJ they absolutely crushed. But I like Slayer.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

I'm going on the 6th @ First Mariner Arena in Baltimore. I can't wait!

Comment

Here's some pics from the Atlanta show .....

Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    Where you seeing them?

Also - when I saw them at the Izod in NJ they absolutely crushed. But I like Slayer.
                    My friend got tix at the Nassau colisieum in Long Island for Friday Oct 8. I missed out on the Izod show, but it'll be cool to see Anthrax...if they don't suck...or play any material after 1990! BTW, check your pm.
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

My friend got tix at the Nassau colisieum in Long Island for Friday Oct 8. I missed out on the Izod show, but it'll be cool to see Anthrax...if they don't suck...or play any material after 1990! BTW, check your pm.
                      I agree with this, but they NEED to play some Persistence of Time. That is an awesome album.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
                        I saw them a few weeks ago in San Francisco. Slayer was incredible. Sounded really good. Araya talked to the crowd once, after the 3rd song. Then they just assaulted us with metal. Their guitar tones were never all that good at any point in their career but Lombardo...Jeeeeeebus!!! I brought a friend who's not really a metalhead but a pretty school jazz musician. He was floored by Lombardo. Slayer is the ACDC of thrash. You know what you're gonna get and it can get monotonous because every song is like 2.5-3 mins and they play 10,000 songs.
                        I was also at that show, Slayer was incredible and so was the energy of the crowd.

Comment

Everything they played when I saw them was from Sound of White Noise on back. They played Only, Antisocial, Indians, Madhouse, I Am The Law just to name a few. It was a killer set!

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
                            I Am The Law just to name a few.
                            My favorite Anthrax tune!
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

i saw slayer at mayhem last year.. they kicked ass.. they seem to be the most hated of the four sor some reason. i dont get it.. they have the most hardcore fans of all the bands there.. try going to the bathroom etc and yell slayer.. i assure you, slayer fans will come of the woodwork and scream slayer back.. try that with metallica etc. we're crazy motherfuckers and proud..lol

Comment

Working...
                              X