Dio Vs. Ozzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dio Vs. Ozzy

what band do you like more dio or ozzy? song wise singing wise, guitarist, bassist, drummer.which band had better singers, drummers, guitarist, songs, stage shows, albums, live albums, guitars. :think::think::think:

troll thread for the ages...:think:
    They're both great.
    Dio (rip) a better singer (and lyricist) Ozzy a better front man (by far imo).
    Ozzy takes the crown in the guitarist department at very least...can there really be any doubt...but i also think solo he's consistently had a better band overall at any given time as well. I haven't cared for anything Dio has done solo since his first two albums.
    But besides that his work with Sabbath/Heaven and Hell is his finest.

Comment

They're both great, but, IMO, Dio is the better singer/songwriter. Ozzy had the best guitar player (Jake E. Lee). Dio had the best rhythm section early on with Jimmy Bain/Vinnie Appice.
      As far as live albums go, Ozzy's Speak of the Devil is my favorite live album of all time, and Brad Gillis just kills!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dio has never been and never will be a joke. Ozzy - regardless of what he's done in the past - is a fucking joke.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          Dio has never been and never will be a joke. Ozzy - regardless of what he's done in the past - is a fucking joke.
          +1000
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

They are both great. Dio was my first concert in 1985, and I saw Ozzy many times too.

Comment

I don't hold any respect to Ozzy or what he has done over the years. His management kept picking up really really good musicians over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by akoch View Post
                I don't hold any respect to Ozzy or what he has done over the years. His wife kept picking up really really good musicians over the years.
                *fixed*

Comment

As far as showmanship goes, Dio has always seemed like more of a "professional rock star" type, whereas Ozzy comes across more as a maniac who has successfully been able to channel his charisma and eccentricities into a career.

Similarly, Dio is much more technically proficient as a singer as well but I prefer Ozzy's voice and signing style. Not to speak ill of the dead, and not to detract from his immense contributions to heavy metal; but I find myself listening to Dio's stuff (with Sabbath and solo, although I like his stuff with Rainbow) and thinking, "Does this guy ever stop making noise for 10 seconds?" I think he oversings a bit and then does a lot of "oohs" and "aahs" and "yeahs" and stuff over a lot of good riffs. As for his voice, there are elements of Adam Sandler in it at times. I guess in summary I think he's a bit of a ham.

When I hear the story about Dio getting fired from Sabbath for sneaking in after hours and turning up his vocals I can truly believe it.

Comment

personally i think dio wins
                    dio has a amazing voice
                    i love all his albums till holy diver - lock up the wolves
                    good guitar players vivian campbell rowan robertson
                    but ozzy's guitar players are legends.

Comment

This is kind of like arguing Van Halen vs Van Hagar, but here's my two cents...

Dio, in just about every category except one, Guitarist. While Dio has had an impressive amount of talent behind the six string, I am, and always have been a Jake E. Lee fan. He was by far the best that either of them have had since Randy's passing.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the early Ozzy albums, but I grow tierd of his whiney vocals and predictable lyrics pretty easily, especially in his later work. Dio was a far better vocalist and songwriter, and as someone said earlier the Bain/Appice rhythm section was a full blown powerhouse.

By the way... before another thread gets started....Van Halen..
                      Last edited by Robert Hendrix; 12-09-2010, 01:25 PM.
                      Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Dio has a voice bigger than life. Better guitarist - Dio had Doug Aldrich. The only guitarist Ozzy had who I like better was Jason Becker and that was for a very short time.
                        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster View Post
                          The only guitarist Ozzy had who I like better was Jason Becker and that was for a very short time.
                          Huh? When did Jason Becker play with Ozzy? He's had ALS (Lou Gherig's Disease) since about 1989 after he did the one David Lee Roth album.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

apples and oranges to me, but if I had to go see a live show it would have been Ozzy. The maniacal side he brings adds something to the experience.

Guitarists....loved the Viv Campbell era before he went soft and glam but overall, I think Ozzy's stable wrote more memorable riffs/solos.
                            Jackson KV2
                            Jackson KE1T
                            Jackson KE1F
                            Jackson SL1

Comment

I've seen Ozzy perform enough times to form the opinion that the guy simply cannot sing. Period. He's put in a lot of hard work over the years, had some wicked tunes and had some incredibe luck (luck engineered by Sharon, no doubt), and he has also benefitted greatly from some amazing guitar players- but his personal musical contribution to a performance, for me, is largely about his "act". Without the advocacy of Sharon (who I will forever detest for her treatment of Iron Maiden at a show a few years back), Ozzy wouldn't be a household name. I'm far from a hater, though- Blizzard of Ozz was the 1st album I ever bought and his songs have been with me ever since.

Musically, Dio brought a something more to the table imo. Few would argue his vocal talent. Dio, in my mind, performed onstage in a more theatrical way and needed no antics like water cannons and whatnot. The man and his voice were enough.

But that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                              X