No announcement yet.

Dio Vs. Ozzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's apples and oranges and I like each equally. Dio is of course a far superior singer, but Ozzy led Sabbath to its original greatness and I think he is not given enough credit for that. His voice was unique and fit perfectly with Iommi's riffs to be one of the founding metal bands.

Dio is one of the singers who brought the operatic approach with a super-powerful voice into the genre. Ian Gillan was another but I greatly prefer him in Deep Purple to Sabbath.

Dio worked at somewhat of a disadvantage. He has never had songwriting partners in his solo career of the caliber he had in Rainbow and Sabbath. Vivian was never really a cowriter, just a lead guitarist. I don't think any of the others really were either, maybe Doug Aldrich but the writing mostly seems like Dio did it all. That may have been his idea though.

Ozzy, on the other hand, had LOTS of help songwriting - some say he really wasn't much involved in the writing at all. He did start his solo career as the ORIGINAL former singer of Sabbath, though, and his wife had been part of the Sabbath management machine, AND he lucked upon Randy Rhoads who wrote two really classic albums for his solo band. Ozzy was always way more commercially successful than Dio, and the relative lack of money definitely inhibited what Dio could do to promote himself. It limited the quality of musicians he could get for what he could afford to pay and still maintain his own lifestyle.

They both did quite well for themselves, but Ozzy really had an advantage from the gate and his wife used it very well. Wendy did well for Dio also but she had less to work with.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

While I love the early Sabbath stuff with Ozzy, he doesn't hold a candle to Dio as a singer, frontman, songwriter, human being, etc... My favourite Sabbath album? Heaven & Hell. Stick that in yer pipe!
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Over all I have to give it to Dio been one of my favorites since 83, Ozzy is right up there, but only because of his guitarists.
        We will know for the first time...
        If we are evil or divine...
        We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

I know this has been dead a bit.. but here is my .02
          Ozzy has just been damn lucky. He is constantly surrounded by great musicians/writers and his "charisma" is just good old fashioned substance abuse. BUT I'm glad that he has been so lucky b/c it has produced some of the greatest Hard Rock of all time!

Besides.. Dio not only replaced Oz in BS, but kicked the band into one of the greatest creative periods. Besides, didn't Geezer write all Ozzy's lyrics????

Comment

Has the subject of perfect pitch been broached in this thread yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              Has the subject of perfect pitch been broached in this thread yet?
              Well, it has now!

Comment

Iommi certainly didn't have it.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

IMO no comparison between Ozzy and Dios voice. DIO rules the pipes.
                  Ozzy for the most part had better guitarist Jake,Randy,Brad is hard to beat
                  RJD the better of the rhythm sections Bain,Appice.
                  Ozzy has screwed more musicians than Motley Crue has groupies.
                  http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Originally posted by ///MK View Post
                    IMO no comparison between Ozzy and Dios voice. DIO rules the pipes.
                    Ozzy for the most part had better guitarist Jake,Randy,Brad is hard to beat
                    RJD the better of the rhythm sections Bain,Appice.
                    Ozzy has screwed more musicians than Motley Crue has groupies.
                    I agree, ESPECIALLY with Jake being the first Ozzy guitarist listed.

He was the one to beat. Randy was great, but IMHO, couldn't keep up with what Ozzy was/is as far as the "show" is concerned.

Ozzy has had some awesome Rhythm sections, they just have been resticted by his average songs. Rob Trujillo on bass, that trumps ALL. his work with Suicidal Tendencies & Infectious Grooves is unparalleled in the metal genre as far as bass playing goes.
                    Out Of Ideas

Comment

Ummmm...Dio and Ozzy are dead. I loved them both though!
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

^^^^^what he said^^^^^
                        http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Ozzy is like chemical waste, it'll take centuries for him to disappear
                          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Both legends, both sadly passed. Both have contributed immeasurably to the wonderful world of metal.

Ozzy was imprisoned for trying to strangle that fucking harridan he married and I think this was his last lucid thought.
                            I think if somebody tried to dress me in an oversized sequined cardigan and a perm with highlights I'd want to kill them too.
                            Alas, he failed and she had monstrous space spiders suck his brain out and replaced it with 3lbs of electrified Dolphin mucus.
                            His body now meanders around in some sort of half life, talking about being the Prince of Darkness but silently screaming for the end.

It is often said that his soul departed his body and entered into Zakk "idiot" Wylde's (real name: Jeffrey) guitar. Every time he plays a pinch harmonic, it's Ozzy's tormented spirit, screaming for sweet oblivion.
                            All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Ozzy had the best guitar player (Jake E. Lee).
                              Dio played with Ritchie Blackmoore how much better can you get?
                              “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Probably a lot better
                                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                                X